Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Putting an 870 together for 3gun

NateTSU

I have a Remington 870 express that I would like to use for 3gun. I am just getting started in the sport and don't have the funds for a new auto loader. It is a stock 870, what would y'all recommend to get started? Just a tube extension and shell caddies? Thanks for any advice in advance.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your just getting started in 3 gun, loading will be much more of a hindrance than any non specialized equipment will be. For what it's worth I started playing in 3g with a hundred year old pump 12ga with a 30" barrel, an AK74 and a 45acp pistol. I'm almost glad I started with such goofy gear, using the wrong stuff for awhile and making it work gave me a good idea of what I needed when I started buying new gear. No regrets at all because of it.

No matches this weekend, they all got rained out. I plan on spending the weekend dry firing my pistol and learning how to load my shotgun.

As for shell holders what works best i see two different designs. I would think the load 2 would be the way to go. Any thoughts on that?

http://www.theshooterssource.com/carbon-arms-round-p-18448.html

And this style

http://www.theshooterssource.com/safariland-round-p-26419.html

What kind of shells holders starts with what method of loading you expect to employ.

Weak Hand? Choate Machine and Tool was the standard that others emulated

Load Two? (aka dropping deuces) I am a Carbon Arms fan but Invictus Tactical, TacCom and AP Customs all make excellent products too.

Quad Loading? Again all the above make units that let one quad load very well.

I was thinking strong hand, I did some practicing tonight load 2 and and tried some quad load. I saw the spots on the loading port that need to be opened up and beveled, it looks like a pretty simple task with a dremel. As for the loading I need lots and lots of practice! The quad load I usually dropped at least on shell if not two every time but it's a starting point!

• 2 months later...

I've run an 870 in quite a few matches, as I often shoot Heavy Metal. My 870 has a Remington 23" turkey barrel with interchangeable chokes and fiber optic rifle sights, which I prefer for 3-gun. It also has a Nordic Comp tube extension giving it an 8+1 capacity.

I load weak-hand from AP Custom 4x4 shell caddies, but that equipment decision is pretty independent of what shotgun you are using.

The loading port really is pretty good but smoothing the edges never hurts. I stoned the action bars, tuned the lifter and smoothed the edges of the Magtube for a nice smooth loading. If you have an 870 with the Dimple in the mag tube, that can cause you more grief than the rest of the mods. I would suggest drilling it out.

No matches this weekend, they all got rained out. I plan on spending the weekend dry firing my pistol and learning how to load my shotgun.

As for shell holders what works best i see two different designs. I would think the load 2 would be the way to go. Any thoughts on that?

http://www.theshooterssource.com/carbon-arms-round-p-18448.html

And this style

http://www.theshooterssource.com/safariland-round-p-26419.html

Carbon arms all the way!!! You will not regret it.

Drilling the dimples over Dremel and the sanding drum?

Just picked up the 870 gun, safety button, mag extension, clamp, hi viz front sight.

Now just need the stock, and the rotary gunsmith in a box.... Lol

Either way will work. I sanded mine with the dremel and had no function issues through 7 matches last year. Just make sure the follower will move freely in the tube when you're done.

I need to get some pics of the loading port work I've done too. Crude, but it's been effective so far.

I used a 4" grinder with a sanding disk, flat file, small curved file, 320 and 800 sand paper, cold blue, and yes...a dremel for rounding out the sharp edges inside the loading area. Be cautious because it is easy to go to far and cut the inner ring that help the shell catch hold the rounds inside the tube. The reason for cutting this loading area the way I did is to assist with the load 2 or load 4 method. Ever so slightly - carefully - you may need to slightly bend the outer 1/4" of the lift gate to facilitate shell loading into the tube. Also, your 870 will work in 3g. Mr. Piatt routinely wins with his.

Visit with Pat before you start cutting. There is something coming down the road about opening up ports on shotguns in the 3 Gun Nation world. He has the inside skinny on it.

870b_zpsa570f3a6.jpg

Edited by Sterling White

I used a 4" grinder with a sanding disk, flat file, small curved file, 320 and 800 sand paper, cold blue, and yes...a dremel for rounding out the sharp edges inside the loading area. Be cautious because it is easy to go to far and cut the inner ring that help the shell catch hold the rounds inside the tube. The reason for cutting this loading area the way I did is to assist with the load 2 or load 4 method. Ever so slightly - carefully - you may need to slightly bend the outer 1/4" of the lift gate to facilitate shell loading into the tube.

870b_zpsa570f3a6.jpg

Did you get into the mag tube at all? That looks much deeper than mine and I went right up to it.

Yes, I went into it a little ways and not all at once. I took small amounts off until it felt comfortable and the shell snapped into place. The project lasted over several nites after work to get to this point. Dis-assembly, remove material, clean, assembly, quad load, and analyze.....repeat.

I used a 4" grinder with a sanding disk, flat file, small curved file, 320 and 800 sand paper, cold blue, and yes...a dremel for rounding out the sharp edges inside the loading area. Be cautious because it is easy to go to far and cut the inner ring that help the shell catch hold the rounds inside the tube. The reason for cutting this loading area the way I did is to assist with the load 2 or load 4 method. Ever so slightly - carefully - you may need to slightly bend the outer 1/4" of the lift gate to facilitate shell loading into the tube. Also, your 870 will work in 3g. Mr. Piatt routinely wins with his.

Visit with Pat before you start cutting. There is something coming down the road about opening up ports on shotguns in the 3 Gun Nation world. He has the inside skinny on it.

870b_zpsa570f3a6.jpg

What's the measurement from the end of the receiver to where you finished cutting in the tube where the shells load?

Looks good! I like this alot. I may be scared and not go as far... Lol but curious to what the distance was. I'll mark mine and make sure I don't go past that. Thanks.