Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Gifted 929…Now What (Need Revolver Rig Help)

jeremy45

I had been talking about shooting a revolver for a while and my brother decided to make an honest man out of me!! He brought home a 929 today so looks like I will be shooting revolver next year but have no idea on gear, loads, grips, accessories etc.

I am starting from scratch on a revolver rig, what do I need and where should I start on loads? I currently run 130gr SWC's at 135pf in my Glocks with WST.

I am looking forward to your suggestions,

Jeremy

Edited by jeremy45

My preference for a holster is either the DAA Racer or the Race Master. The Race Master is definitely nicer, but for the cost savings the Racer is a very good holster with the same retention and as the Race Master. You can't go wrong with moon clip holders from North Mountain.

I use the DAA race master. I chose it because I could use it in other divisions with just a change of insert. It does take about .4 off my draw, but it's rare that we aren't doing something else while drawing. You can't go wrong with a dropped offset BladeTech, It has good retention and it's available with the front cut out as the "Pro Series Speed Rig."

I prefer a moon rack that holds a single clip on each post. I found myself hunting around for a clip too often on my old double post setup. That said, the double stacked posts were a bit faster to load from a table on the clock. I build my own racks so I can't recommend a specific brand.

Speed-E-Rack for single post setup, North Mountain for stacked. Both offer various models.

Heavy round nose bullets are your friend, the heaviest you can find.

If you want to send the gun out for a full action job, check out Apex Tactical. If you want to do it yourself buy Jerry's video and an Apex competition firing pin.

Fiber up front is a good choice too, Toolguy on here has one for the 929 I've heard.

Holster is a personal preference, can't say I've ever won or lost a match on holster.

+1 for the North Mountain moon clip holders.

My advice regarding action work: Decide whether, or not, you want to load only Federal primers because a lightened action may require softer primers to be reliable.

My grip recommendation: I am currently using the Pachmayr Presentation grip because it absorbs some of the recoil from my major loads, and it fit my hand very well. Grips are a very personal thing; you could spend a fortune looking for the perfect set.

Good luck!

WOW! A brother that gives 929's as a gift! Last thing my brother gave me was heartburn .....

Ya, I lucked out on this one. We have different hobbies so we help each other when we can but don't spend a ton of time together because our interests take us in different directions. This was definitely an awesome surprise though!!

Looks like the DAA holsters might be the way to go. I am used to production so race gear is a little new to me but no point in not taking all the advantages I can.

Heavy round nose bullets and starling brass- understood!!

How many moon clips do I need? Enough to cover 6-8 stages or enough to cover an entire match?

I want RELIABLE operation, not light primer strikes. The trigger on it feels decent to me but I am new to this, I don't feel that it is too heavy but could be smoothed up a bit. I may buy Jerry's video and go from there. I would like to shoot a few matches before sending it off to a smith.

Will add a fiber optic front sight and to some more reading on moon clip holders.

Thanks for all the help, I am still open to suggestions if I missed anything,

Jeremy

I don't know about others, but I have 50 moon clips for the 929 and 627, loaded, and dropped checked into the cylinder the night before. I don't reuse any that have already been fired that day without checking them first.

With good primer seating, you'll be surprised how low you can go and still be reliable.

I don't know about others, but I have 50 moon clips for the 929 and 627, loaded, and dropped checked into the cylinder the night before. I don't reuse any that have already been fired that day without checking them first.

With good primer seating, you'll be surprised how low you can go and still be reliable.

I do the same thing, load up 50 clips for the match before hand and drop check them, during the match I have no worries about having to load or unload clips.

If you want to run the best trigger, you'll NEED federal primers, seated .008-.010 below flush ( having a dillon 1050 really helps with this, or hand seating )

I run most my triggers right around the 4.75-5.0 lb mark depending on gun.

the other important thing is going to be which brass you will use.

38 special brass

38 long colt

38 *mid* colt ( you'll have to make these )

38 short colt

that's the most common list from longest to shortest, Personally I run 38 long colt brass, a decent majority run 38 short colt brass

you have lots of reading to do grass hopper.

Edit: disregard, it's a 929, not a 627, you'll be using 9mm. Brain fart

Edited by alecmc

.... About your brass selection.....Stay with one brand & have your moon clips cut for THAT brand... There is a difference in the brass, even in 9mm.....I'm guessing you reload?, I'd invest in a Lee "u" die, lube you cases (yes, even in 9mm) ...Life is a lot smoother. I shoot only range brass , MR. Lee takes care of that. The fiber front sight is a good choice. Generally?, heavier bullets are preferred by the majority of shooters. 147 plated or FMJ's are common 9mm bullets. . Extraction, try a slower powder. There is a LOT of info here on the 929's already.... read up!. Mike

Edited by mike NM

Holster is a personal preference, can't say I've ever won or lost a match on holster.

Obviously you have never reached down to your speed rig and grabbed empty air, and then noticed your loaded revolver laying there on the ground right beneath it.

It happens.

Obviously you have never reached down to your speed rig and grabbed empty air, and then noticed your loaded revolver laying there on the ground right beneath it.

It happens.

Hasn't happened yet, but I'm not ruling it out. And I find myself walking around obstacles with one hand on the gun off the clock too.

What I meant by that statement was even if you went the the slowest holster ever made (or fastest) you aren't going to win or lose any USPSA stages because if it.

The big advantage to a race holster, and the only reason I use one, is the fact that I can switch to any one of my 5 barrels lengths.

It happens.

My unloaded 627 hopped right out of my Bladetech DOH a few weeks ago. I was running the clock during a local steel match and had to chase the shooter to the next position. Suddenly I felt something brush against my side. Yeah that was my revo on its parabolic arc headed towards the dirt. Thankfully it was no worse for the wear and a couple of turns of the screwdriver fixed the holster. Though it is kind of embarrassing to have to hand the clock to the shooter after he finished the COF so he can be the match official and pick up your dropped gun.

-ld

I still prefer my Safariland 002 Cup holster with some modifications for most speed games. It won't work in IDPA, but I can draw from it every bit as fast as from a CR speed (that I tried in the past). The 002 Cup holster is also good for L and K frames since I've used it for those frames as well.

I still prefer my Safariland 002 Cup holster with some modifications for most speed games. It won't work in IDPA, but I can draw from it every bit as fast as from a CR speed (that I tried in the past). The 002 Cup holster is also good for L and K frames since I've used it for those frames as well.

I am looking at 002... what version did you start with for a 929? They do not offer a 627 with a 6.5" barrel.

Tom