Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should a newbie get a bullet feeder?

As a noob myself, I can say the answer for me would be no. There are so many things to be aware of that you kind of want to be slowed down by the need to place a bullet by hand. I only did some test rounds yesterday, but realy appreciated the slowness of needing to place the bullet by hand. It allowed visual inspections and forced me to not go too quickly on the handle. Also, I want to get used to the machine and how each handle pull and push should feel so that if a problem arises I know what is happening. If I added one more cog in the works, then there is just that much more to think about and watch over.

I will say that everyone claims that new reloaders should start with a single stage, but I am so very happy that I got the 650 as my first press. I do not need to worry about case insertion as it is automatic.I just glance to make sure it is seated in the shellplate. I worry about the primer feel going in, then a visual powder check insprection and then after the bullet is seated I look to see if I can see anything wrong with the case before crimping. Once I have a couple thousand rounds under my belt then I'll probably go for the powder check for accuracy and to speed up my visuals, then possibly a bullet feeder. In the grand scheme, placing a bullet takes almost no time. Putting primers in the tubes for me is the tedius part. (I think I'd rather get the Dillon primer machine over a bullet feeder now that I think about it)

I would get real used to loading on a 650 before getting a bullet feeder.

If you want a powder check you will need a GSI as it both feeds and seats the bullet. Mr. Bulletfeeder is installed between you powder drop and seating die.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll pass on the bullet feeder. I don't like loading to fast anyway. I think slower is safer for me. I'm not into running more than about 100 count rounds per session.

Wise choice. If you like to reload and are never going to hurry then a bullet feeder is not for you. On the other hand I love mine.

The fun starts at about the 1 minute mark

Edited by Sarge

Sarge, what charge are you loading there? I load 9.3gr in 9mm cases and if I don't slow it down as it indexes I fling powder all over the place.

Mid to upper 7's of Autocomp. Only about 3/4 full.

I run the bearing kit as well as adjusted the index block. Virtually no snap in my machine.

If you want a bullet feeder, GET ONE!

Just because you have a bullet feeder doesn't mean you have to load at light speed and possibly make mistakes A bullet feeder just makes the loading process easier, smoother and more enjoyable.

Do your research on the different bullet feeders for caliber changes and what is needed to change calibers. Ask questions here of those folks who own a particular brand.

The GSI tends to jam up if the bullet doesn't drop for whatever reason (empty spot in shell plate). I've never run one personally but I did try to help someone who had one and it was annoying.

The Mr Bulletfeeder seems to be easier to deal with.

I'd learn how to use the press, then add the case feeder at a later date. Learn the nuances of your machine before adding another layer of complexity.

Everyone learns reloading at a different pace, some struggle with the basic mechanics of these machines, others..... not so much.... YMMV.

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

Relative to cost of everything else, the automated things aren't that expensive, about the price of one firearm?

I did all of the following from the get go with my 650 setup for 9mm

- Dillon Casefeeder

- Mr. Bulletfeeder

- RF100 primer filler

If you feel you should go slow, go slow. But I don't think these things added that much to the startup learning curve - if you want them, don't be afraid to get them.

I don't change caliber though - just load 9mm. So if you are loading multiple calibers that are small and large primer, I don't know how much of a pain it is for caliber/primer conversion on all these items.

Should a new driver get a car with an automatic transmission?

Well, that might not be the right analogy. In a perfect world it would allow the user to focus on other things but few things are perfect in the reloading world.

I see more threads where "new" guys and gals go out and buy every "improvement" and gadget for a press before they even make a single round. WTF and hate threads generally follow.

I suggest making quality ammunition, THEN, add the extras ONE AT A TIME. This way you can at least get back to base line and know what is the cause of problems.

My first press is a Dillon 650... I did install a Mr BulletFeeder on it... and I won't ever go back to NOT using one... its the VERY BEST addition I have done to date... its pretty straight forward to adjusting to different bullets/bullet weights... you won't ever regret buying one.. !!!!

I see more threads where "new" guys and gals go out and buy every "improvement" and gadget for a press before they even make a single round. WTF and hate threads generally follow.

I suggest making quality ammunition, THEN, add the extras ONE AT A TIME. This way you can at least get back to base line and know what is the cause of problems.

+1.

I bought a super 1050, my first progressive press. After a couple of hundred rounds and a couple of pinched fingers, I said to hell with this. Too much going on, too hard trying to pay attention to everything at one time. I made some bullet drop dies so it is one less thing to not really have to pay attention to.

I say to buy the Mr. Bullet feeder die, and get some plastic tubes off ebay. You can get the collator later. ($49 die + $15-$20 for the tubes)

AllBulletDrops.jpg

Make yourself a bullet loading block for the tubes.

SortingBlock2.jpg

Should a new driver get a car with an automatic transmission?

Well, that might not be the right analogy. In a perfect world it would allow the user to focus on other things but few things are perfect in the reloading world.

x2!

I absolutely LOVE my MBF on my 650, wouldn't trade it for anything but a 1050 with a MBF! While you certainly dictate your own speed, I would also suggest learning to PROPERLY make ammo first, and then get one.

Edited by polizei1