Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 questions for you folks who actually have one.

Thehotrodpig

I pulled the trigger on a 929 and it should be here next week. I want to get a fiberoptic front sight coming for it. Looks to be a pinned front, is that correct? How about the height?

I already ordered some revo supply moonclips for it. Anybody try them yet? Are they playing nice with most brass?

Any other thoughts or insight on this new toy?

Anybody bob their hammers and chamfer the chambers yet? Picks?

The factory sight is only .225" high so you will need to stay pretty close to that unless you plan to change out the rear sight too. Yes, the front sight is pinned. The front ramp is short so you won't be able to use a long front sight like the SDM unless you don't care about it looking funky. Warren (toolguy) should be able to fix you up with a fiber sight.

Even though there is a specification for the extractor cut in the 9mm not all manufacturers use it so moonclip fit will vary with brands of brass. I bought Starline because I get it all back anyway. Winchester brass fits the same in the clips so you should be able to get a bunch of good fitting brass easy enough from all the WW white box shooters. R-P brass almost falls out of the clips so that's one to stay away from.

The main thing will be to clean up what ever was not fit properly at the factory, this will vary a lot between guns. Mine had to have the barrel clocked properly, the hand to ratchet fit was terrible and the cylinder release bolt was cut too short to push the cylinder pin out clear of the frame and would eventually start to wear the hole in the frame plus it made the cylinder hard to open. I put an Apex hammer in it.

The cylinder will need to be chamfered since it has no chamfer out of the box.

Front sight: the SDM is too long, it looks funny. I heard someone say toolguy makes one that fits perfect.

I went with moonclips from a small shop in Mesa. They fit my federal and starline tight. .035 thickness.

Apex gave mine the full treatment. The gun feels great.

I have been having some pressure issues with powder that's too fast and bullets that are too heavy, so just be prepared to do a little more load testing than with a 627.

I picked my 929 up on Tuesday and have not had time to open her up, a few observations follow. The front sight ramp on this gun (pics below) is shorter than most of my S&W revolvers, I contacted Warren at Protocall design for info and will be ordering a fibre optic sight tomorrow. The double action out of the box is @ 11 lbs. and relatively smooth. The finish work is not as good as my 10 year old 627 8 shot, but as far as I know neither ICORE nor USPSA give awards for pretty guns. I have fired four moon clips of ammo thru the gun and will begin accuracy testing as time permits. The extractor is rubbing on the fired rounds stopping them from droping cleanly from the cylinder. Fortunately I have my trusty 627 to shoot while I get this one ready for competition. As a side note I have found that Winchester brass is acceptably tight in the TK custom moon clips I purchased.

post-5056-0-68100200-1411958422_thumb.jp

post-5056-0-08802800-1411958954_thumb.jp

post-5056-0-90593100-1411961093_thumb.jp

Edited by 357454

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered a front sight from Warren, been wanting to try one of his anyway. As for quality, I am not expecting much. After my new 627pc experience I fully expect to have to go through the whole gun to make it right. S&W really ought to just stop it with the PC crap. They aren't tuning anything and everybody knows it. Oh well I enjoy tuning my guns and I'm sure it will be nice when it is all worked over.

Dave, when the gun comes in let me know. The replacement felt sight requires a short .050" punch and either .055" solid or roll pin - all of which I have. The new sight will also need to be drilled, we can put it in the milling machine and get you fixed up. If one is not available, I can start grinding a 9mm pilot for the chamfering tool - I have not looked to into it yet to see what is available

Lee

I pulled the trigger on a 929 and it should be here next week. I want to get a fiberoptic front sight coming for it. Looks to be a pinned front, is that correct? How about the height?

I already ordered some revo supply moonclips for it. Anybody try them yet? Are they playing nice with most brass?

Any other thoughts or insight on this new toy?

Anybody bob their hammers and chamfer the chambers yet? Picks?

I ordered 50 moonclips from TK. They work fine for everything but RP and PMC brass. I just put RP brass in a moon to start a stage with, when I am done I yank the brass out and hand it off to someone that shoots 9. Eventually I will be rid of all my RP brass. PMC is also a bit loose, but does not fall out like RP brass. Luckily most of my brass is Win/WCC.

I added a bunch of chamfer to my clyinders as there was almost nothing done at the "Performance Center."

I narrowed the factory front sight to about .115 and changed out the rear sights to Bowens.

The triggers are fine single action, but garbage DA. I added Apex parts and called it good.

I was wondering if anyone has shot 3 or 4 moons through their 929 to see how its works hot? If so, did you have any issues?

I ran through 5 clips in a number of strings (30 seconds or less) in a local falling steel match. The cylinder gets hot! Reloading becomes a bit uncomfortable. But I also was shooting with Power Pistol which is a bit on the hot side. No function issues.

Tom what's your load and oal with the 165s and titegroup?

I'm having difficulty making any heavy bullet work with titegroup.

I had a lot of trouble with TG and heavy 9mm as well when doing load development for a suppressed Glock 17. I shifted to WST 3.2gr at 1.150" with a 158gr LRN. Another good starting point is 38 Super load data. I use the same charge and same bullet in 9mm and Super with only .100" difference in OAL. Both of these loads give me ~130pf.

Lee

Thanks Lee. I think we're local to each other, aren't we? You shooting over at Kitsap?

I've been using titegroup with 158s in short colt, and have attempted to make the same combination to work in the 929 but I get sticky extraction too early. I'll be switching to a slower powder, but was curious what Tom's load was. The 165 xtreme was pretty popular with titegroup at the NW ICORE regional this past weekend in short colt, looks rather promising.

Thanks Lee. I think we're local to each other, aren't we? You shooting over at Kitsap?

I've been using titegroup with 158s in short colt, and have attempted to make the same combination to work in the 929 but I get sticky extraction too early. I'll be switching to a slower powder, but was curious what Tom's load was. The 165 xtreme was pretty popular with titegroup at the NW ICORE regional this past weekend in short colt, looks rather promising.

Yeah, I shoot at Kitsap. Extraction is the problem I was having that I honestly feel like TG is just to warm for small bores and lead bullets. The same lead bullets in the same guns do no lead at the same velocites using other powders so I have just traded all my TG away.

Being a tapered case and Ti cylinder, my concern would be rapid expansion and setback binding up the cylinder. I am curious to compare a 929 to my Super in terms of recoil and maneuverability. As far as accuracy, mine is a 1.25" gun at 75' and I am afraid to mess with what is working.

If you ever made it over this way you could be my guest and try out some of the 9mm I have been rolling. Our club also has a ransom of you wanted to do some more serious load development. I don't think the club has an N frame insert but I do. Let me know.

Lee

I've been using plated 158s, Rainiers, but I think the same thing. Too fast, and too warm. I'm going to go through the chart and start to use slower powders to find a good spot.

I make it down to kitsap every once in a while, you guys going to be shooting steel all winter?

I've been using plated 158s, Rainiers, but I think the same thing. Too fast, and too warm. I'm going to go through the chart and start to use slower powders to find a good spot.

I make it down to kitsap every once in a while, you guys going to be shooting steel all winter?

Assuming our club, which has been there since 1926, can survive the new county's range ordinance and the pending lawsuit (also from the county) we will be shooting our Tuesday night falling plates and 2nd Saturday SC style matches through the winter.

Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey

Take a feeler gauge to the forcing cone...my gap was .0025....I couldn't get but a few moon clips thru it before buildup occurred. I added a .003 cylinder shim as I was not ready to cut more on the forcing cone yet.... I did have to square the forcing cone up with the Brownell tool. I'm unsure of the cyl/cone gap desired?.... What's the magic #... .006/.008? I agree, heavy lead bullets and Titegroup are not friends... I have lot's of Auto Comp and just found some VV 340, we will see....Been using 9mm Frontier 147's as the are available locally, decent accuracy. This is a early gun and was in good shape for S&W PC work other than the non-square file cut forcing cone. The internals' have been re-done & Warren's red fiber sight added.

Edited by mike NM