Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18" 3 gun barrel

fireman489

Pat, I've got two 22" barreled iron sight guns, but I've had them since 77. :) I haven't put the AR together yet but I got the barrel, unfortunately the J.P. A2 front sight ended up on a test rifle that I'm working on for a major manufacturer, so it will have to wait a few weeks.

All the above should be great barrels, also consider Rainier Arms barrels. I've tried multiple Ulta Match barrels that have all shot very well. Shilen barrels, Wylde chambers, and they have a good assortment of profiles, gas lengths, etc. if you're leaning toward the 20" they have an nice option that is out of stock, but They seem to re-stock regularly: https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2911

Good luck & have fun with your build, I thorougly enjoy it whenever I get to do another AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to get a local manufacturer to spin me up a 22 for a new irons build. He was too busy making 18's. I pulled an older 20 from the safe and started setting it up for irons again, but I will keep my eyes open for that 22. Too many projects, too little time.

Isn't the big thing about 18" barrels the ability to use rifle length gas systems that supposedly help reduce felt recoil impulse, or is that moot because of the adjustable gas blocks? That and the increase in velocity.

Have you looked at the Seekins barrels? (new Seekins fanboy here, loving my rifle) I've been very impressed with my rifle so far, granted it was a complete rifle, not a custom build.

wg

Edited by Wild Gene

Gene, mostly correct. Adjustable gas reduces the volume, but the pressure is still higher as you shorten the gas system. Also, the shorter the gas system, all else being equal, the shorter the barrel life due to gas port erosion.

Average pressure and dwell time are important for shootability and barrel dynamics as well. All else equal, the 18" rifle length gas system has a dwell time and average pressure that very close to optimal.

If you took a 14" barrel and optimized the gas system and compared that to a 18" barrel with an optimized system (and a reduced load to achieve the same MV) the 18 would be more accurate and would shoot softer. Could you detect the small differences? Some can and some can not.

Adjustable gas, reduced gas port size, lengthening distance between chamber and gas port are all things people try in attempts to get better performance. However, if you turn down the gas on a shorter system, you still have the gas port erosion and higher pressure. These are important elements that one should consider when selecting parts for a system. Throttling high pressure high temperatures gases will result in greater wear and quenching (more deposits).

16" and 17" rifle length gas systems still have a higher average pressure than an 18", with a shorter dwell time. If you have a comp that works well with the higher muzzle pressure, there is probably negligible difference. You might be able to see a slight group size difference (same MV) at 400+ yards, favoring the 18", but it won't be much and certainly not enough to worry about.

The dwell time will be shorter, so a no leak gas system is important. It will slightly change the sequencing of the 4 recoil impulses, but again, not enough to matter.

I ran a 17" rifle length gas system for a few years and I really liked it. I think Taran has run 17s for a while, but I don't know if he is now.

My 18 inch rogue hunter from Noveske averaged 100 fps less than my jp and Nordic 18 inch builds. My 18 inch Krieger was 200 fps faster than the Noveske. The only thing I noticed about the polygonal rifling was it did not shoot fmj bullets that well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I built a new 3 gun rifle and used a nordic upper/lower and a nordic 18" barrel. I love the gun and it shoots lights out! Great combo.

Does your Nordic barrel have the rifle length gas system? I am considering a Nordic barrel and has hoping to get some feedback. What kind of groups are you getting with your setup?

I am thinking of using the rifle for a little bit of everything and just changing the optic as needed. A 3 gun rifle, a small game hunting rifle coyotes/pigs/deer and even the possibility of a prairie dog rifle.

Edited by NateTSU

Yes Nordics 18 inch barrel has a rifle length gas system. I am getting groups as good as my JP with my Nordic in the .7 range with match reloads and 1.5 with FMJ reloads. That is an average of 5 5 shot groups not just cherry picking a good 3 shot group.

Pat

That is great accuracy, I was considering a 69smk for long range and a 55gr fbhp(currently shooting varmint nightmares) for varmint hunting and the close range 3gun stages. I have heard nothing but good things about Nordic barrels.

Edited by NateTSU

Anyone have experience with the Noveske barrels? Are they worth the extra money?

I would say no not after having owned one. Accuracy was acceptable but not steller like JP or Nordic barrels. I have 2 friends who also had Rogue Hunters and they reported similar accuracy results. No way is it on par with Krieger having owned one of their barrels as well. The Noveske I had was my biggest disappointment when it came to accuracy.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo