Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A comp I have been toying with

gliney00

Your design is very similar to a number of comps in a wide and deep market. If this is just a one off project to make chips and burn time, cut away. If it's a commercial beginning, it's going to be expensive and it's gonna hurt...

It would be for my own amusement, The only reason it exists this far is I am getting rusty modeling in Solidworks and needed a few projects, the only reason a couple might exist in real life is I have machines in my garage and I am curios

Your design is very similar to a number of comps in a wide and deep market. If this is just a one off project to make chips and burn time, cut away. If it's a commercial beginning, it's going to be expensive and it's gonna hurt...

It would be for my own amusement, The only reason it exists this far is I am getting rusty modeling in Solidworks and needed a few projects, the only reason a couple might exist in real life is I have machines in my garage and I am curios

If that's the case, go ahead, but I suggest putting the flats on the top and bottom and not the sides so that it's easier to level when you install it.

Not bad looking but I'd be surprised if your third hole and fourth baffle where doing anything. There's a finite amount of gas exiting your muzzle and the little that 223 puts out would probably be all spent by the time it gets that far. Assuming your pictured design is gonna be around the 1x3 size I think it could be made just as effective in 3/4s of that length. A bigger caliber could probably take advantage of all that baffle surface area but it's most likely overkill for the little guys. Just my .02, I could be wrong, it happened once before.

Looks interesting and similar to a comp I am running now made by another member on here. I would think with the side ports being closed at the bottom and the holes on the top it will give you a lot of downforce. The one I have has the side ports but does not have any holes and it works very well for my gun.

Yeah, I would start with only small pilot holes on top and then open them up as you find that you need to. As you get better at managing recoil, you need less and less down force. My 308 brake had very small top jets because the large holes I put in the first prototype drove the muzzle into the ground. You can always punch the holes bigger, but you can't easily closr them back up.

From running a bunch of different CFD analysis on different comp here would be my 2 cents on your design.

1) Your going to have way too much down force, reduce the area of the flats on the bottom of the ports.

2) Ditch the holes in the top, not need.

3) Increase the opening area in the sides of the ports.

4) Make the second port spacing larger (as the pressure drops the gas expands less)

5) As long as you port openings are fairly large there is no need to have more two sets of ports.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...