Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring weight for 9 mm STI

shooterrdy

I am sure this has been covered, probably beat to death but I am curious as to what shooters find in changing the recoil spring rates for 9 mm STI 5" Marauder, Edge, Eagle style pistol

I have a 135 grn. BBI loaded with 4 grain of CFE Pistol, chronograph says 959 FPS avg. or 129 Power Factor, current spring is ISMI 11lb. silicon

would a lighter spring soften recoil?

would a 12.5 increase felt recoil?

any advice or experience appreciated. Thanks

I run 9lbs springs in both my 9's and they feel very soft to me.

Get a 9, 10 and 11 lbs spring, a couple hundred rounds of ammo and your timer and go and do some standard drills with the different wgt springs and see if it makes a difference in your splits with the different wgts etc. ( make sure your shooting A's or there will not be a true comparison)

Get a 9, 10 and 11 lbs spring, a couple hundred rounds of ammo and your timer and go and do some standard drills with the different wgt springs and see if it makes a difference in your splits with the different wgts etc. ( make sure your shooting A's or there will not be a true comparison)

Great advice

must say the 9 # feels pretty good had been running an 11# I think a 10 would be good as well, gun came with a 10 not sure how true to weight any off them are but other than the 10 all are ISMI silicon treated gonna give the 9 a run for awhile.

also Installed a Nitro Finn thumb rest so got a whole new feel now.

Thanks again for all replies , (except 1)

are we recommending an ISMI 9# or Wolff 9#?

Personally, I use Wolff, but was looking to experiment with ISMI. I know there's a world of difference between the two when it comes to mainspring. Just comparing the two for recoil spring, the ISMI is several coils shorter.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is the best advice. Not only are the times of your splits important, where is your second shot (on a USPSA target)?. If it's high, not enough spring to bring the recoil back down. If it's low, too much spring. The variables are power factor, (determined by, bullet weight, and bullet speed), and, very important, how tight you are gripping the gun. just my humble opinion.