Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best hard case for air travel

Headworked

Wanting to fly to a few 3 gun matches next year, and wonder what you guys are using for the lockable hard case... I know pelican has some offerings, but I've seen some folks show up with hard cases with foam inserts that are pre cut to fit pistols, rifles, shotguns, and extra gear...

Edited by Headworked

Disclaimer, I work for Brownells. I take the foam out of a Pelican case and put our 3-gun case inside. When I get there I leave the Pelican in the room and take the soft case to the range. Learned that from one of the top guys, don't remember who now, sorry. The Pelican 1750 works for our 48" case (084-000-324/-325) and the Pelican 1770 takes the 54" case (084-000-384/-385). My guns have survived a few flights with no problems.

Another option is a hard case designed for golf clubs like this one: http://www.amazon.com/SKB-2SKB-4814W-Deluxe-Golf-Travel/dp/B000A13PGA Plano makes a similar one for a lot less $$$.

Everything fits and people think you're a golfer. Keeps your guns under the thieves' radar.

Which is a copy of the Tuffpak, more or less. Same idea, anyway.

Edited by kuduman

• 1 month later...

I used a Pelican case to go to the Nordic Rifle Championship in Finland. It took a beating, traveling through five airports each way. It looks bad, but is still fully functional, only cosmetic damage. My JP was protected. I have a picture of the case laying on the ground by the plane during a 40 minute thunderstorm in Atlanta (I was sitting on the plane, watching my rifle case get rained on). I am sure that the other quality hard cases would serve you well too, I only have first hand experience with Pelican. We use Pelicans at work to protect test equipment and they have also held up well.

Hurley

I take the foam out of a Pelican case and put our 3-gun case inside.

I've done the same with a Starlight case carrying a scoped rifle. Amazing how much you can cram in one of those.

P.S. I got my case from someone else who had been traveling all over the place the same way for several years. Pelican and Storm can surely take a beating. Starlight used to be really rugged, but they changed hands and I can't vouch for the quality now.

Edited by Graham Smith

Disclaimer, I work for Brownells. I take the foam out of a Pelican case and put our 3-gun case inside. When I get there I leave the Pelican in the room and take the soft case to the range. Learned that from one of the top guys, don't remember who now, sorry. The Pelican 1750 works for our 48" case (084-000-324/-325) and the Pelican 1770 takes the 54" case (084-000-384/-385). My guns have survived a few flights with no problems.

This has been my MO for years!

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the SKB case from Patriot... Thank you for all the insight and pointers, and thanks Brack Wilson for supporting our wonderful sport...
Now to contact Larry Weeks an get a Brownells soft case!!

Edited by Headworked

I imagine this case fits the correct dimensions? What kind of fee do you guys normally incur assuming you are under 50 lbs?

That's where the fun begins because it depends on the airline, the airport, and who's behind the desk. You can do some searches on flying with guns to get the whole story but bottom line is, before you pack, go to the airline website and find out what they say and PRINT IT OUT to take with you. Some airlines class recreational items (like golf clubs) to be generally exempt from oversize, overweight charges, so you only pay for an extra bag. Guns should fit in with that, but find out for sure.

I imagine this case fits the correct dimensions? What kind of fee do you guys normally incur assuming you are under 50 lbs?

That's where the fun begins because it depends on the airline, the airport, and who's behind the desk. You can do some searches on flying with guns to get the whole story but bottom line is, before you pack, go to the airline website and find out what they say and PRINT IT OUT to take with you. Some airlines class recreational items (like golf clubs) to be generally exempt from oversize, overweight charges, so you only pay for an extra bag. Guns should fit in with that, but find out for sure.

It is best to check, like he said. When I went to Finland a few months ago, I only had to pay the extra bag fees with Delta. Finnair had a "firearm handling fee" (25 euro each way) + the extra bag fee. Print their information and take it with you, most airline folks don't know what the rules are. Make sure that you have plenty of time for them to call someone and figure it all out, be patient with them. One good thing was that while there were long lines at the baggage drop off, the rifle case was "special baggage" and there was a separate drop off for that with only a couple of people in line, probably actually saved me some time. Be sure to call the airline and notify them that you will be travelling with a firearm ahead of time.

Hurley

Edited because I inserted a sentence where it made the message confusing, I re-arranged it for clarity.

HR

Edited by HRider