Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why the racing to bring up your classification?

UCOShooter

Lately I have been seeing and hearing a bunch of guys worrying so much about their classification, and I am confused. I do not understand why you want to get up in to A class, when you perform like a C class shooter in a match. Of course you can mow down classifiers when that is all you practice, but outside of that you truly should not be in a upper class.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on this, because I am confused?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: I am not in any of the posts "Race" to any class.

The higher class, whether that's where you belong or not, makes you want to be there. If you are a B class shooter, but figure out how to hose your way to A, then you'll look for the ways to win A. And the cycle continues.

I have much more respect for the guys that are classed higher than they perform than sandbaggers looking for "wins."

True statement... practicing/performing with guys can make you a better shooter. I totally agree! But if you TRULY belong in C Class and you hosed your way into A, then going to majors getting your butt kicked. That can't be to good for your confidence, right?

I have much more respect for the guys that are classed higher than they perform than sandbaggers looking for "wins."

ouch!

How much fun is it to be an A class shooter getting your ass handed to you every week by Bs and Cs? What's respectable about having an overinflated classification? I take pride in being able to shoot my classification on command, I call that consistency. When I have a good match, I outperform my classification and it feels good.

Why does being 'obsessed' with your classification mean that you are an A class shooter who actually performs at C class in a match?

Personally I can tell you that I am as obsessed as anyone about my current classification and about achieving a high classification .... I also shot within 2% of that classification at my last major

You are making connections between activities that are not necessarily linked ...

I'm not sure why people shoot a classifier any different than any other stage. I see many guys go hero or zero on classifiers. I've also seen a few guys stay after so they can shoot the classifiers over and over again. I'm not so sure I get the idea behind that.

ouch!

How much fun is it to be an A class shooter getting your ass handed to you every week by Bs and Cs? What's respectable about having an overinflated classification? I take pride in being able to shoot my classification on command, I call that consistency. When I have a good match, I outperform my classification and it feels good.

Sorry, not meant offensively. I just mean if you are at a certain class, you either posses the skills to be competitive there, or are working towards that goal. I have seen a few stories here on enos where someone got an A card, and thought, " I better start practicing," and more practice and the desire to be competitive there led to the M and GM card.

I bet it's the same at the top. A GM local to me told me he didn't feel like he deserves it until he proves it at a major.

I don't practice Classifiers and am a B shooter. I am fast at moving across the courses and good at gaming them and last weekend I was 4th in Production behind 3 Masters. I beat 3 other Masters and 2 A class shooters (Rio Salado, UPPL). I can see the logic behind the Classifier system but it really doesn't truly show the whole profile of the shooter. Yes, I get accused of sandbagging but I'm a very athletic, fast, mediocre shooter and the seconds saved equate to higher hit factors. Stand and shoot doesn't measure that.

Why does anyone else care how people train and what class they are?

I suggest working on your own skills instead of finding ways to look down on others.

If you look at the results of any major match, it's obvious the classifier system is a pretty good predictor of match finish. Yes, you'll always have a few people in lower classes who are successful with field stages even tho their shooting is not that great, and you'll always have a few people in upper classes who have a bad day, but all you really need to worry about is how *you* shoot.

I suggest working on your own skills instead of finding ways to look down on others.

If you look at the results of any major match, it's obvious the classifier system is a pretty good predictor of match finish. Yes, you'll always have a few people in lower classes who are successful with field stages even tho their shooting is not that great, and you'll always have a few people in upper classes who have a bad day, but all you really need to worry about is how *you* shoot.

Very true... Not trying to look down on others.

I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything.

Very true... Not trying to look down on others.

I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything.

I guess I didn't need to be so snarky. Sorry about that.

I haven't participated in those threads, but they don't seem like a bad idea to me. For sure, the skills necessary to classify well are vital to match performance, even if they're not the ONLY things required, so I think it's important to work on those skills. Having a measurable concrete goal can be a good motivating factor, so if it inspires people to train and improve, that's probably a good thing for them.

And I'm not sure there's really such a thing as 'hosing your way to A', or at least I've never seen it.

I don't practice Classifiers and am a B shooter. I am fast at moving across the courses and good at gaming them and last weekend I was 4th in Production behind 3 Masters. I beat 3 other Masters and 2 A class shooters (Rio Salado, UPPL). I can see the logic behind the Classifier system but it really doesn't truly show the whole profile of the shooter. Yes, I get accused of sandbagging but I'm a very athletic, fast, mediocre shooter and the seconds saved equate to higher hit factors. Stand and shoot doesn't measure that.

Think how much better you'd do if you learned to shoot better.....

It may depend somewhat on the stages too. I've done some matches that really stressed movement and had few demanding shots, and I've done matches that really stressed shooting ability. Sometimes really fast B's do really well, sometimes they crash and burn in a spectacular fashion.

At any rate, I'm all in favor of people setting achievable goals and using that to help motivate them to train. I wouldn't recommend practicing *only* classifier-type skills, but I sure as heck wouldn't recommend *not* practicing classifier skills either.

At any rate, I'm all in favor of people setting achievable goals and using that to help motivate them to train. I wouldn't recommend practicing *only* classifier-type skills, but I sure as heck wouldn't recommend *not* practicing classifier skills either.

I agree, making the next classification serves as a motivation to practice. BTW, the best way to move up in classification is to become a better shooter overall through an organized dry fire and live fire practice program working on all aspects of the USPSA shooting game. This works better than focusing on working on classifiers anyway. The higher classification scores come with the increased overall skill level.

Eric

I like the goal setting aspect of it. I shoot two weekly Steel club matches that are set up with a USPSA like ranking system. D,C,B,A,M,GM. Start in D, win your class 3 times to advance to the next class. It's a fairly simple system. (and as a side note I like shooting steel more than paper.)

I made GM within 8 months at one match, but am still stuck in B at the other. The second match takes longer to rank advance through because it has a much higher quality of compettion.

Either way, I love seeing where I stack up, how I can improve, and setting new goals for myself.

The more I worry about moving up the more classifiers I tank. I should've had the mindset all along as treating it as just another stage but it's hard to do. I've come to the conclusion that I'll move up when my performance says I should. I'd much rather be a C class shooter being competitive with other C class people than an A class getting whipped every match. Whether right, wrong, or indifferent that's my thinking

Personally, I think if someone claims that they don't care about their classification, they're lying, (or sandbagging.)

Do I want to move up? HELL YEAH!
If getting an A card going to automatically make me a better shooter? No.

I've beaten Masters and A's in local matches, (no GM's here locally), but I've also tanked local matches.
My measure of success is how CONSISTENT I am! I want to finish in the top 5 at local matches whenever I can.

At majors, I want to win my class, or at least be at the top of it. I usually tank majors though. Not sure why. If I can shoot a clean local match, I should be able to do it at a major.

CONSISTENCY!!

Same thing goes for classifiers.
Ripping off 1 or 2 master-class classifier scores by going with a "hero or zero" approach, (along with your normal classifier scores that are typical for your class), may get you a bump in class, but being consistent is better. For example, 3 of my current top 6 classifiers are mid to high 70's. Two of the other 3 are 70.XX%. What I DON'T have is a couple of inflated master-class scores, and the rest in the 60% range.

I not only want an "A" Card, I want to be competitive at that level in matches.

Was just having this discussion with a buddy the other day. He just took 1st C class at a Level II match. He really wants to be a B class. I pointed out that while he is progressing nicely, he would have been the 11th B in that same match.

I don't suggest sandbagging, but I'm learning that consistency on classifiers or shooting them just like any other stage (no faster than I can see my sites) is the best way to have an honest classifier.

I do tend to shoot slightly below my classifier at major matches. not sure if I get tired, or think that 'this stage doesn't matter since there are still 6 to go" sort of mental thing.

I certainly do not shoot 10% less than my classifiers though.

The more I worry about moving up the more classifiers I tank. I should've had the mindset all along as treating it as just another stage but it's hard to do. I've come to the conclusion that I'll move up when my performance says I should. I'd much rather be a C class shooter being competitive with other C class people than an A class getting whipped every match. Whether right, wrong, or indifferent that's my thinking

There's nothing wrong with that thinking, but it's not for me. I don't really care how I did against the other people that didn't practice enough to move up. I mostly look at the overall for the division at majors and the overall for all divisions at local matches, and I try to improve my percentage of the top guys scores and improve my percentage on classifiers. ''Winning" C class is still getting whipped as far as I'm concerned.

but one of the great things about uspsa is it works for either mindset. we can both get what we need out of it for enjoyment, motivation and self-esteem.

Ripping off 1 or 2 master-class classifier scores by going with a "hero or zero" approach, (along with your normal classifier scores that are typical for your class), may get you a bump in class, but being consistent is better. For example, 3 of my current top 6 classifiers are mid to high 70's. Two of the other 3 are 70.XX%. What I DON'T have is a couple of inflated master-class scores, and the rest in the 60% range.

Some people are just better at certain things. some classifiers seem pretty easy to get a high score for me. Others seem pretty hard for me to even shoot my class percentage. I figure those are the ones I need to work on more.