Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why the racing to bring up your classification?

UCOShooter

I actually don't buy into the whole 'grandbagger' concept. After all, to get your GM card you have to shoot GM level scores and for all of us who ain't GMs I assume we know how hard that really is. Let's face it, you may be able zero to hero one or even two classifiers, but 6? No way, you have to be able to shoot.

When you either get a high score or one that is too low to count, yeah, it's not hard to believe that someone could grandbag 6 classifiers. Probably extremely rare, but technically possible.

That's not usually what happens though. It's usually someone who has low to mid level scores for their class, then pulls a couple of master-class scores out of their anus. Those are the ones that get bumped to the next class, then drown at the majors.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The classifiers are important because they contain the procedures and challenges one would need to master in order to place high at a national level. Matches are also important because it shows how consistently you can perform those procedures and demonstrate skill over a longer period of time.I personally would rather rather win a match or rank high consistently than have a nice classification title. But I do like that there's a way to show your progression through the classification system. That said it's also easier to look at someone's class than pull up their last five match performances.

At the end of the day I want to be the best and the best are usually Masters and Grand Masters, not sandbagging A's or B's

When I see the race you to the next class, I just figure it's some good natured guys/gals looking for some long distance friendly competition with like thinking goal setters. Nothing more, nothing less.

It was inevitable that the thread mutate into one of those "paper Master", "Grandbagger", "Sandbagger", threads. I suppose that is inherent in any sport that uses a "classification" system. I have been a member on this forum since the old days when Brian first started his web site. Through the years I have learned there seems like there is too much concern over "...what do you have in your wallet?" Frankly, I don't think there should be a classification system and everyone should just shoot "heads up". That position isn't widely accepted.

The classification system is what it is, and what it is isn't perfect. Still, it serves the organization and most shooters fairly well. Those who know me and have seen me shoot know that I came into USPSA from the precision shooting sports. In my early years of USPSA, I worked on developing speed while performing the basics like the draw, transistions,and the reload. I was on the ground floor when we chartered our club. We didn't have many props and neither did our neighboring clubs. Everything was box to box, port to port, speed shoots, and classifiers. It was inevitable that my classifier scores would be much better than my field courses. Heck, I was shooting M class classifiers and owning speed shoots before I really understood how to break down a long field course.

I have only shot a couple of big matches and those were many years ago. I did poorly at the long courses (where the points are) and I did well on the speed shoots. I wasn't a balanced shooter. However, I did shoot the scores necessary to make Master in five divisions. In fact, my initial classification in revolver was Master class based on my first four classifiers. I have dabbled in several divisions. As I look back on my classifier scores, it is plain to see when I was getting serious within each division. For instance, Limited 10 was the big division around here during the "ban". The largest group of shooters were using single stacks with 10 round magazines. My last L10 classifiers were in early 2006 and late 2005. The last five scores were 77.9%, 96.0%, 97.3%, 97.2%, and 100%. My classifier per cent was 93.8% when I stopped shooting L10. One more decent classifier and GM was in the bag. I let it go.

The summers of 2003 and 2004 were my Production years. I stopped shooting Production with a classifier percentage of 94.7%. Later on in 2005 I shot the Mini-Mart classifier just for kicks with a borrowed gun (not my primary match division). The score would have been close to 100% and the MD asked if I wanted to declare a second division, pay the fees, and send in in to USPSA. I declined the offer. I had GM in my hands and threw it away.

In the summers of 2002 and 2003 I shot a lot of Limited and did pretty well. In December of 2004 I made a New Year's resolution to make GM in Limited. That came to fruition on 1/23/05. I moved from Limited to Open the following spring and left Limited at 96.72%. Wht I have left out is along the way I was having more and more mobility issues and I didn't do well on long courses. Eventually, USPSA moved me down in class to "A" class and I have been shooting Open pretty much exclusively for the last 3-4 years in "A" class.

So what is the purpose in all of my ramblings? Simply this, every shooter has thier goals, their dreams, their ambitions, their approach. Their classification is their own business and I don't make judgements based solely on their classification or present performance. What really matters is their character and what they bring to the sport. Do they set up, tear down, help with administration, and act as good ambassadors? Do they recruit new shooters and help to retain the veterans? The future of this sport isn't dependent on a piece of card board with some letters on it.

My biggest achievement happened after I moved down in class. A very well known GM shooter told me something to the effect, "I will always think of you as an ambassador of the sport. You have breathed air that few will breath". It isn't all about the score.

Edited by Ron Ankeny