Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad day at the range yesterday - Edge goes KABOOM

rottenit

Soooo the ammo MFR offered to pay for the repairs to the gun provided I sign a release that binds me from discussing it. I'm having a lawyer look it over. They feel pretty strongly that it was an issue with the brass.

I'd have to think about that.

I may eat the cost of fixing/buying a new gun to let the world know whose ammo did that. Who knows, it might help someone else avoid the same or worse.

A business's reputation is less important than someone's health/life.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, he said that STI warrantied the pistol, so then the ammo company didn't pay for it.

So your shady deal of "don't tell everyone of how we can cost them their eyesight and we'll buy you a new gun" is no longer valid.

Are you going to post the company's identity and then they can explain how it's not going to happen again or are they still cranking out low-end ammo as usual?

There is no definitive proof it was the fault of the ammo. I am also the 3rd (at least) owner of the gun, so I have no clue how the gun was treated before me. I want to make it clear that I have no clue why the chamber failed, just speculation.

The rep at the ammo company did misrepresent the scope of the release on the phone. My guess is he never read it.

The ammo manufacturer that I was using at the time was Freedom Munitions. I was shooting 180gr hollow point, copper jacket, nickel cased, re-manufactured ammo.

They did offer to cover it, I have still been purchasing and shooting there new run stuff since this happened.

They already did without telling me.

I called sti after it happened, explained what happened. The gunsmith at sti said it would not be covered under warranty and sent me a repair estimate. I sent the gun in to sti and 3 weeks later got the ups notification that I was getting a package from sti. I assumed they couldn't fix it and returned it but the gun was repaired and the packing sheet said "damage due to bad ammo" but they repaired it under warranty anyway.

I was probably going to out of pocket it instead of signing the release my lawyer was uncomfortable with a couple of things in the release.

Edited by rottenit

Props to STI. Amazing customer service. This type of story should be shouted from the mountain tops. I have a brand new Trojan in .40 with a feed "wall" that I just sent back to them. I am sure they will make it right and posts like yours make me happy to have given them my business (second Trojan I have purchased in the last 12 months).

The ammo manufacturer that I was using at the time was Freedom Munitions. I was shooting 180gr hollow point, copper jacket, nickel cased, re-manufactured ammo.

They did offer to cover it, I have still been purchasing and shooting there new run stuff since this happened.

My shocked face that it was Freedom Munitions - :mellow: . They caused pretty much the same kaboom in a friend's 1911.

He also still buys ammo from them after it happened... :rolleyes:

ETA: and big props to STI for awesome customer service and warrantying an issue they clearly did not cause. I've also received excellent customer service from STI.

Edited by Russell92

• 2 months later...

I am also glad you are OK.

Thanks for posting this, especially in the beginners forum. I am new to firearms and and it is really good to know about the kinds of things that can happen, what potential causes are, and what we can do to try to avoid or be prepared for things like this.

not bad that your gun failed on 17 September and almost a month to the day it was back in your hands, repaired and covered by STI under warranty.

being out of gun for 4 weeks only tells me they turned it around pretty fast. even assuming you sent it straight away that is still excellent service. :)

scary to imagine how much force is needed to split the chamber like that give how thick the steel is there.

• 2 weeks later...

My shocked face that it was Freedom Munitions - :mellow: . They caused pretty much the same kaboom in a friend's 1911.

He also still buys ammo from them after it happened... :rolleyes:

ETA: and big props to STI for awesome customer service and warrantying an issue they clearly did not cause. I've also received excellent customer service from STI.

While hand cycling to test feed / function I've a good bit of this ammo set back to the point I pulled the bullet.