Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micrometer Powder Bar Kit for Dillon Presses

The post with the Amazon link shows the knob, although you need the 7/16" not the 5/16" size as shown. It appears Lowes & Home Depot have discontinued the part number, but it might be worth a trip to the store to dig through the parts boxes in the hardware aisles.

Cool thank you for the correction, I edited my post to add that.

Coincidentally found this on amazon earlier today when I was looking for something else, that some 650XL users may be interested in and it comes with 3 of the knobs also. Called a "Premium shellplate bearing kit"

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Shellplate-Bearing-Dillon-XL650/dp/B00E6WN5FA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-3&keywords=650xl+kit

91Qsx8wAvAL._SL1500_.jpg

ETA it looks like they make it for the 550 and 1050 also

http://hitfactorshooting.com/

Also saw this dial knob in another thread

http://mrdial.com/

image2.jpg

Edited by JWil

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Micrometer kit from uniqueTek are great. They are not the same as the cheap knobs you put on the screw. The knobs give you a handle so you don't need to use a wrench. The Micrometer kit gives you very accurate and consistent drops.

I actually only load a few variations of 9mm so the adjustability, spread sheet etc are not a big deal to me. I got it because it stays set even after thousands of rounds. My Dillon bolt would self adjust after a few hundred so I had to keep checking it for accuracy. With the micrometer I just glance at it every once in awhile and it never moves!

What I think you're missing about the Unique Tek micrometer kit is that the threading on the shaft is much finer than the "stock" shaft that you would be putting one of those knobs on.

The knob is easy to get your fingers on and I do have two mrdials on my pistol die-sets (they're far superior to the factory setup) but it's still the normal "coarse" adjustment and not the fine adjustment that's afforded by using the Unique Tek micrometer.

It's WAY easier to get precise powder settings than using anything else-I have three on my 550B rifle toolheads.

Installation is super easy-the hardest part is waiting overnight for the Loctite to dry!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been looking at this lately. How easy is it to use as just a dial number to dial in a power charge and change to a different one? An example in my head is if I am loading 5.0gr WST and the dial says 2.5 and I know 5.7gr of CFE is 2.8, can I just adjust the dial from 2.5 to 2.8 and change the powder and it would be good to go?

I have been looking at this lately. How easy is it to use as just a dial number to dial in a power charge and change to a different one? An example in my head is if I am loading 5.0gr WST and the dial says 2.5 and I know 5.7gr of CFE is 2.8, can I just adjust the dial from 2.5 to 2.8 and change the powder and it would be good to go?

Yes. And it is easy to do some samples at various weights and extrapolate the entire range of powder throws for every powder you run through it.

Yep just set it and good to go.

Is it better to get the Arredondo powder slide with the kit?

I Install it on three of my stock powder slides works perfectly

Thanks. I ordered one from UniqueTek along with the powder baffle. Really want to make it easier to adjust for different loads, but have you guys seen reductions in extreme spreads and standard deviations during chrono testing?

It is pretty consistent from moving up and down the scale with the same powder in hopper. For example, I know with some powders that a turn of .005 would get me .1 grain of powder. So moving it up or down .015 would get me .3 and so on.

I will caution you of the consistency between changing powders and returning to an old setting. I keep a chart with different powders and micrometer settings for drops. I would change to some other powder and then go back later and set the dial to a previous load that I want to return to for a session. I would check the drop and it would be close but not exactly on. I started noticing some variations like that in the chart I created, so it got me close most of the time but it was almost never exact. Once it was set, it would never change though, even after thousands of rounds. I do really like this thing and if something happens to this powder bar/micrometer setup, I would buy another.

Also, one time the micrometer separated from the Arredondo powder bar. Lee from Uniquetek helped me with it, great customer service by the way.

I installed the Uniquetek micrometer on my 650 and love it. I was using 700X, and had difficulty getting consistent throws over a range loads. The Uniquetek held it within .1 gr., first to last, for over 300 rounds

If i have one complaint, it is in the installation instructions.

They indicate that for a 650 the '0' line should installed at approximately the 3 o'clock position, looking at the back of the powder bar.

This puts the other micrometer lines on the bottom of the micrometer, making it difficult to read.

IMHO a position of about 1 o'clock for the '0' line would be much better for reading settings from the left side.

That is of course unless I read the instructions incorrectly.

Is it better to get the Arredondo powder slide with the kit?

I Install it on three of my stock powder slides works perfectly

Thanks. I ordered one from UniqueTek along with the powder baffle. Really want to make it easier to adjust for different loads, but have you guys seen reductions in extreme spreads and standard deviations during chrono testing?

I also Installed this powder baffle it is better then the one UniqueTek sells Prairie Dog 6-101 Perfect Powder Baffle for Dillon Powder Reservoir Tubes you can find it on Ebay