Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

General 1911/2011 40S&W Feeding

chuckstur

I am working up major and minor loads for a barely used Eagle. Should the gun feed the round when the slide is eased down? Mine fails 10% of the time, my sons well used guns never fail with the same loads. It does it with all of the magazines and 165 and 180 grain bullets. I don't know what recoil spring is in it, waiting for a calibration pack.

None of the mags, including my boy's are tuned. Stock STI. Testing conducted with one round and full loaded magazines. The nose dips a bit so the round is horizontal. The rim never reaches the extractor. Not as many failures when dropping from slide lock, a bit better when a slingshot is used.

Thanks Mike

Wide45

I had almost a dozen failures when shooting 165s/minor at a IDPA match last week, most from slide lock, so I was easing it down just to troubleshoot it. USPSA Saturday with 180s/major, perhaps the slide was short stroking. The spring feels like the 12 in my 9mm 1911. The gun is still very tight, perhaps it will wear in.

Charlie

Ok tracking what you are talking about. I know when my Eagle did this I got new springs and trimmed the followers on them and ran like a champ. But if you trim follower your slide won't lock to the rear anymore. Also have you tried changing your OAL? I also have some load data for an Eagle if you are interested

Edited by deerassassin22

These guns like oil be sure pistol is well lubed. Fan of Mobil 1 5w30. If that doesn't fix it try bending the magazine spring up a little on the nose end.

My guns like a longer OAL and I load 1.220 with 175 gn lead. Major running a 12 lb recoil spring and a 17 lb mainspring. Minor may drop to a 10 lb recoil

spring.

Be sure and put a drop of oil on the feed ramp and breech face across from the extractor. Do not oil the extractor.

Loading your own ammo try a U die from Lee. Seen several S_I guns that wouldn't run start running by going to the U die. The U die works best in 40 S@W.

It will size closer to the extractor groove and tighter than other brands. Big deal with pistols with a tight chamber. Should run after doing this if not

have a Smith throat the chamber.

I got a new STI Edge and it was having feed problems. I loaded some to 1.175 oal and it works flawlessly. STI cuts the barrels so they can be long loaded. A lot of shooters are shooting an oal of 1.200. Pull your barrel and check to see how long you can load and then back off a little and I think you will be fine. I am using a 180 tc Bayou bullet.

Tim

Edited by TimHawkins

Had horrible nosedive issues with a custom 1911 .40. Tuned 45 mags from the smith. Installed EGW's high hold mag release and have not had a failure since. Amazing what mag sitting .02 higher will do.

I had a similar issue with a Springer 1911-A1 loaded in .40s&w. I polished the ramp and installed a spare Wilson .45acp slide release and it cleared it up! LOL.....

I had major issues with a 1-2 year old Tactical in 40. I had tuned mags and experimented with different lengths but I could never get it to run. STI has a new barrel ramp program for their barrel cutting machine. I sent them my barrel and It came back a week later. It now hand cycles everything even when doing it slowly. In fact, it cycles smoother than my Glock! I can't wait to shoot it.

• 2 weeks later...