Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun belt set up opinions?

So the nearest club matches for 3 gun are once a month and 2 hours away, when I can get away from work, so I don't get to shoot a lot of them. So since I can't try my gear out very often, send me your opinions on my belt set up. Don't joke my home made shell caddies and load 2s, I'm only about $20 into the whole setup!

The pistol mags go at 12 o'clock right under the belly button, the load 2s are in between the holster and pistol mags, which forces my holster to be just behind 3 o'clock, which I don't particularly like but it's not too bad. The dump pouch is directly at 6 o'clock, and the reset follows around. My shotgun holds 9 +1, so my plan with the caddies is to shoot until dry, grab the 4 and throw one in the chamber and load the 3, then load 6 from the other caddie.

Any suggestions would be great!

post-54924-0-64169000-1410155025_thumb.j

Get rid of the dump pouch and put whatever brand of quick release on your mag pouches/holster/shell carriers/etc. Attach whatever is needed per stage rather than everything all the time.

The best belt for 3g is the Safariland Belt with ELS. There is good and bad with a dump bag. Some of the good: extra ammo container and a place to put mags if the weather conditions suck. Some of the bad - the dump bag can get heavy if toting lots of extra lead which can cause a severe case of plumbers crack... :ph34r:

Ok..... start with the belt and add pistol, you are right handed. If you are not going to change things out then you are going to need at least two pistol mag pouches on the belt and one rifle magazine pouch. Most of the time you will need 8-12 Sg rounds available. As far as shotgun goes; how are you going to load? If your doing load two then you will want that pouch a little more centered and on the right hand side if you flip the gun upside down with the stock on top of your right shoulder. If you are loading week hand then you can put the load 4's centered on your front and be able to bend forward. The load 6 will be a little long. Make sure that you are not crowding your pistol. put everything on, jump up and down, lay prone and kneeling etc and make sure nothing pokes you. If you must keep the dump pouch, put it directly behind you, you can use it for your mags when you are done with a stage.

When you upgrade, think about a holster with retention. Another belt might be a good idea, I ran an uncle mikes with an inner belt and belt keepers for a while until I got an ELS. Kydex is going to work better than Molle stuff on a belt. If you are a smaller guy like me you will have less real-estate then some other guys out there so you will need a plan for a SG heavy stage, you will rarely ever need more than 2 rifle mags total or 3 pistol mags total.

The dump pouch isn't really for a specific purpose, I've just found it useful more often than not.

It sounds like everyone is saying "too much crap".

So throw most of the shotgun stuff in my range bag until I get to a heavy shotgun stage?

Nothing that doesn't have a specific purpose should be on your belt. If you don't have a use in mind for an item, don't carry it around it is only going to get in the way.

Think of it this way, your equipment is your race car. You don't hang fuzzy dice in your race car or leave a bag of sand in the trunk because you might think of a use for it later.

Edited by Vlad

I find the dump pouch very useful, I put there the pistol and or rifle mags that I'm going to use to make ready that way I don't use the ones on my belt also when I clear the rifle or hand gun I just dump the mags there at the end of the stage. It's a lot easier than trying to put a mag back in the belt pouches with the adrenaline still rushing, I see many shooters fumble mags when trying to clear their guns.

Well put my knowledgable friend, but the most adaptable on Friday can fall off on Saturday. Nothing beats TIED ON!!!!!!

I don't tie my ELS belt on, but, I don't "buckle" in the back either. An extra CR Speed keeper, sewn onto the belt has made a world of difference in keeping the belt on.

Oh snap!! :)

Having stepped off the ramp, I can assure you that parachutes are buckled on tightly, not tied!...but I really ment tied on for 3-gun stuff, you see one year I forgot my belt but I had a nice long piece of sash cord in the tool box on the truck......nope nothing beats tied on! :)

I run my ELS belt with the leather duty belt keepers that the LE guys use for their heavy duty belts, just a leather strap with double snaps, I run at least three of them and it keeps the outer belt secure to the inner and it isn't falling off that's for sure. Nothing as nice as being able to quickly change how your belt is configured or remove different caddies etc... as the stage requires. I was using buckled belts and tek loks and they are secure but once I tried the ELS I would never go back, you just have to make sure it is secure -

• 2 weeks later...

Think of it this way, your equipment is your race car. You don't hang fuzzy dice in your race car or leave a bag of sand in the trunk because you might think of a use for it later.

Out isn't a real race car without fuzzy dice. My uncle drag races a '55 Chevy. At one punt he added a bag of sand in front of the radiator to keep the front end down at the start. Haha.

:)

I just posted my setup in another thread... the ability to change your setup to fit stages is a must...

Empty

5153551793458448964180edfa52ba68.jpg

Setup for a typical stage using all three guns

87335806a03a25e422d5d3a0b3012f92.jpg

Pistol and shotgun stage with an oh sh*t weakhand caddy

4daf93c25596c33cdcb85886cbf1e99d.jpg

Shotgun only-replace my holster with a slug or buck IP 2.6 d26357ea7d10014a4e0784443a213231.jpg

Close up on the IP 2.6 that is normally use for slug or buck

2371b6d78bfef3a279327556b9b945ab.jpg