Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yet another Federal primer thread

My super 1050 hates federal small pistol primers. It is impossible for me to go more than 10 rounds without an issue, from minor to major.

I checked my swage and replaced the swage rod itself. Rechecked it's setting.

Checked shell plate tension.

Replaced orifice on primer feed tube.

Replaced rubber grommet on primer slide. Removed and cleaned track primer slides in.

Checked primer punch depth.

Checked and adjusted primer retaining tab.

Did all these things and nothing but problems. Dump in 100 winchester small pistol primers and no issue.

I'm about to spend a bunch of money (just over $100 something I guess, so not really ttonnns) replacing the shell plate, primer punch, primer slide and so on.

My super 1050 is about 10 years old. I do load wcc/military brass. My brass is that and mixed range brass. It drives me insane that I can do nothing to the machine and it feeds winchester spp no issues, but dump in federal spp and things go to crap. Crap meaning primers not going in at all, double feeds, crushed primers of all sorts both edge and center, both in the brass and falling out. I'm lucky to get 80 rounds primed successfully out of 100 when using federal.

What say the experts here?

If I were having that problem, I would try hand priming the Federals to see if it were physically possible to do so since there is military brass present.

If the primers go in easy enough by hand, then I'd attack my machine. If not, I'd ream/chamfer the primer pockets and go from there.

Edited by Reinz

Hahaha, Reinz I have a 1050 so that I don't have to do anything by hand. My old swaging rod was looking pretty worn, so the new one properly adjusted has me less worried about the condition of my primer pocket on military brass.

The fed primers have issues in all of my brass.

Doug, do you mean part 13936 Tab/Spring Arm Spring and or 13844 Short Lever Spring? Or 13858 Primer punch spring?

Is there an adjustment or replacement to the primer punch bushing I could/should do as well?

I feel your pain. My experience with Federal primers is about the same as yours - maybe not a 20% fail rate - but enough to be frustrating. Winchester SPP - not one hiccup - just loaded 500 rounds this weekend. The Winchesters seem to be just a little more rounded (if that makes sense) and feed into the primer pocket much more easily. I also found most of my Federal failures were with S&B brass - no rounding at all on the primer pocket. I have decided to use the Federals on my 550 where I have a "feel" when seating the primers.

Hahaha, Reinz I have a 1050 so that I don't have to do anything by hand. My old swaging rod was looking pretty worn, so the new one properly adjusted has me less worried about the condition of my primer pocket on military brass.

The fed primers have issues in all of my brass.

Doug, do you mean part 13936 Tab/Spring Arm Spring and or 13844 Short Lever Spring? Or 13858 Primer punch spring?

Is there an adjustment or replacement to the primer punch bushing I could/should do as well?

I know you have a 1050, unlike some folks I do not drink while on forums. :) I have a few 1050's as well and am aware of the swager. However, sometimes the pocket entry just does not quite match up to certain primers. Which is why I suggested a test. I have had reaming solve issues before for certain batches of brass, even on the almighty 1050.

Sorry, I did not mean to insult your intelligence.

As doug suggested change out the springs, but also check that the white plastic piece is adjusted properly, so it allows just a little case movement. I smashed a bunch of primers after changing calibers because I forgot to adjust the bracket.

MB

Look at the primer slide arm attached on the Primer tube safety housing. there are two springs, one longer than the other, kept on with a long pin sitting horizontal. Take a picture before you take them off. Put new ones on. Look at them. You will see a difference, I know I did. Once I did that, all priming problems I was having went away after adjusting the white tab as described above. The timing is important with the primer slide, and feds are softer, so you were mangling them moreso than the other primers.

Good luck,

DougC

I can tell that the primer arm/cam assembly and its timing would be very important. How do they suggest adjusting this?

Retaining tab is adjusted as prescribed. New springs are on the way though. Thank you.

You dont. You make sure the primer slide is clean and you can add a little graphite. Put the primer slide all the way forward like it would be if you pulled the handle down. Put the primer slide arm actuator down and run the toolhead down and make sure the arm is in the slot on the primer slide. Bottom it out and then lift it up a little bit. Lock down the screw. Now run the handle a couple of times. The slide should be smooth. If it is not, then adjust the arm up a little bit until the arm quits "snapping" back and forth and it smooth. You will learn the sweet spot after a while.

That is it....No arcane magic or chicken blood required.... :ph34r:

DougC

You dont. You make sure the primer slide is clean and you can add a little graphite. Put the primer slide all the way forward like it would be if you pulled the handle down. Put the primer slide arm actuator down and run the toolhead down and make sure the arm is in the slot on the primer slide. Bottom it out and then lift it up a little bit. Lock down the screw. Now run the handle a couple of times. The slide should be smooth. If it is not, then adjust the arm up a little bit until the arm quits "snapping" back and forth and it smooth. You will learn the sweet spot after a while.

That is it....No arcane magic or chicken blood required.... :ph34r:

DougC

Actually you can "adjust" it a bit. Mine runs better if I clock the actuator arm a bit towards the powder measure. If I run it at 90* off the primer slide, the slide with just kiss the pin as the press rotates into position. Proabably something else worn causing this but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the primer punch and spring. I replaced the primer slide arm's springs and cotter pin. I adjusted the timing of the primer slide arm. I replaced the main tool head return spring. I replaced the swaging punch. I cleaned everything and lubed everthing that needs it AGAIN.

After doing all of these things, the machine now primes all my misc range brass in 9mm with all of the primers I've tried, cci winchester and federal, with no issues.

Thank you for the clear help and suggestions!

Edited by rowdyb

that's a super good price for those primers. buy all you can.

of the other people i've heard complain or read online it seems federal is the one most mentioned. but they also are the primers people seem to want most.

i think my case was just a cause of very old parts needing replacing.

23.99? Buy a truck load and smile.

Well CCI primers were on sale last month at the same price so I got 5-6k then. And the local show a month back had someone selling the Tula primers for $22/k, so it isn't like there are no others available. I'm just wondering what brass the OP is having problems with as I have ~400 spp .45 brass as well as all my .40 and 9mm. It the federal primers are to blame then I'll just skip purchasing any and eliminate the possibility of issues.