Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a new truck -- or very large car -- and advice

I'd like to thank you all for participating. I followed Vlad's advice and planted or tried to plant my butt in as many cars as I could today, with the following results:

Toyota 4Runner: Holy cow -- I fit. It's snug, but not uncomfortably so -- I'm seriously amazed that after running the seat all the way back, I actually had to pull it up a bit to reach the wheel comfortably, and to not touch the pedals at full leg extension. Tons of fore and aft room in that truck. I could make this one work....

Toyota Tundra Crew Max: See above without the snug component. Compared to the 02 Tahoe (which worked well, but could have used another inch or two of fore/aft) this thing is like hanging out in a living room. Slight stretch to the furthest controls at the far end of the center stack. If it has to be a pick-up, I could maybe/probably make this work. I'm amazed that the Japanese are making vehicles that fit people my size, until I remember that Sumo wrestlers aren't exactly small.... :P:P

Chevy Silverado 1500: It fits, it's nicer than the cab in the Tahoe, but I'm oddly not excited. Looked at both cab sizes here, could probably make either one work -- but I think I prefer the Tundra.

Dodge Durango: I really want to like this car. It's smaller than expected and after sitting in it for 5 minutes and then looking at the back seat and cargo area, it just reminds of the Dodge Caravan I used to drive to Camera Shows while working at the camera store 20 years ago -- and not in a good way. A mid 80s Caravan had more interior room. Off the list....

Jeep Grand Cherokee -- see Dodge Durango, above. I could make either one of these potentially work, but I don't want to. They just don't peak my interest at all.

Subaru Outback -- I can't get comfortable -- too narrow.

Hyundai Santa Fe -- I can get in, but it's almost as tough as Carol's Sonata -- no Thank you.

Chevy Traverse -- I fit, though not comfortably, but it reminds me of a minivan -- no joy.

Ford Flex -- my hopes were high for this car a few days ago. I fit, but with the seat all the way back, the fit is very cramped. I'd like to introduce Ford engineers to whoever designed the 4Runner, and have them make suggestions for folks who are 6'3 or taller.

So it's the 4Runner, the Tundra, and possibly a year old Sequoia -- if I trip over one with the right combination of mileage, warranty and price -- probably in that order of preference. I'll have to arrange for test drives, and try to check out the Ridgeline and the Acura MDX.....

And will need to rent a pickup for a day or two, to see if I can deal with the length.

As always, suggestions and comments are appreciated. :D:D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal truck is a 2011 F150 4X4 with the Ecoboost engine. It's the first Ford pick-up I've ever owned, because I've always been a Chevy guy. It's by far the nicest/fastest pick-up I've ever driven. My only two complaints are that the steering wheel doesn't tilt as far down as the Chevy's do and the Ecoboost doesn't get the estimated MPG unless you drive under the speed limit. The interior is huge compared to the Chevy's.

My State truck is a 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4 with the 5.3 engine. I spend a LOT of time in this pick-up and drive the snot out of it. It's seen many 400+ mile trips at 90+ the entire trip. It just runs and runs and the AC blows my F150's away.

My next personal truck will be another Chevy or GMC, even though it is a bit smaller.

A pick-up as a cop car -- that's funny to this East Coaster..... :D

They ran out of turbo charged Ram Chargers!!

That makes me think of Lone Wolf McQuade and the escape from being buried....... :P:P

.....although that one might have been super charged.....

I think it's cool that a pick-up is your work-mobile -- and I'm guessing the room is welcome on 400 mile jaunts around the state....

No vehicle out there can compete with a Toyota for quality. But you apparently need a Mega sized interior so the only thing close to allowing you breathing room will be the biggest vehicles in the Toyota fleet.

I've been compared to a large refrigerator. :P

4Runner probably works though, and I'm leaning toward Toyota heavily......

My first car was a 1982 Tercel -- but I was a might smaller then, although Carol jokes that it took a shoe horn to get me in, and a can opener to get me out. That car needed to have its alignment performed me with me in it in order to track straight after it -- my weight on the driver's side was enough to not let it track straight.....

Try the ridgeline. My work vehicle is a ridgeline and it works nice. I am 6'7" and 300# too. It isn't a full size truck but the has mileage and drivability of it is pretty impressive. So far 150,000 miles in three years with no issues other than very routine. The trunk in the back is huge and locks with the doors. Worth a look IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2014 Silverado is awesome on the highway. It rides like a luxury car. The cab is very quiet. It quite easy to be running at 90 mph and not know it. There are all kinds of options for securing the bed.

My 2014 Silverado is awesome on the highway. It rides like a luxury car. The cab is very quiet. It quite easy to be running at 90 mph and not know it. There are all kinds of options for securing the bed.

I planted my butt in one on Monday. It's nice, and as a longtime Chevy driver I really wanted to like it, but it left me a little underwhelmed......

I may take a second pass at one though/drive one -- though I'd probably drive the GMC version. I'm that underwhelmed with the Chevy dealership too. My town used to have two -- the current one which is a super dealership with a dozen or so different franchises, and the late, lamented Weed Chevrolet, which unfortunately fell to the GM dealership closing axe during the recession. Weed had been open for more than 80 years (opened in 1926), family operated the entire time, and their newest employee had 22 years on the job there at the time.

I've got the 4Runner and Tundra at the top of the list. I can't decide between them -- they each offer advantages over the other, and the pricing's within $1,000 for the way I'd want them.....

I just rented an F150 for the next two days -- to see if I can live with the size of a pick-up. We'll see how that goes....

I drive a tundra (2011 rock warrior), my dad drives an older 4runner. You can haul whatever in the truck and not worry about dirt etc and you dont have to smell it. Back seat is literally a couch.

The only thing you would worry about is the gas mileage.

5 full sized adults, going out to a match with weekend worth of gears, clothes, etc. No problemo.

Ive owned it 4 years this Nov and other than oil change, that's it. That reminds me, need to check the air filter =)

I'm more likely to make an Ikea run than to haul anything smelly, though I do make a run or two every year for mulch with the Tahoe.........

....and pick up my parents Christmas tree......

But I could do either of those in a 4Runner -- might take an extra trip for mulch.....

Not on your list but a Honda Pilot may be worth a look

It's on my list to plant my butt into this weekend, along with the Ridgeline and the Acura MDX.....

MDX is another good choice but more expensive. I've had positive experience with a 03, and currently a 07. Spent a few days in a 2014, very nice but getting smaller to achieve 28 mpg. Several friends & family own Pilots, styling not as sleek but bigger inside.

Good luck!

I just traded my 2000 Tundra with 220,000 flawless miles for a Lexus LS400 with 79,000 miles. Toyota's have the strongest resale in trucks and SUV's. I've been shopping for two weeks now to replace my truck as the wife stole the Lexus and gave me the keys to her Acura TL Type S. Yesterday I bought a 1998 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 4X4 with the TRD off road package in mint condition with 187,000 miles on it. I fully expect this truck to go for 500,000 easily. There's such a difference in quality that you really don't need extended warranties. I was a Toyota tech back in the 90's and NEVER saw a transmission or differential rebuilt except when I blew out the spider gears in my 81 Hilux with a 350 under the hood doing a brake stand with stock 411's. Toyotas are the Dillon of trucks and SUVs. Buy once, cry never.

Toyotas are the Dillon of trucks and SUVs. Buy once, cry never.

I believe that. :)

Amen. Bought my first Toyota in 1985 or so and except for one failed Ford experiment have never owned anything else.

I've heard of one Tundra 5.7 grenading....and that was caused by the owner after he had the super charger installed...they just don't break.. now, my boss's most recent Tundra had the starter go out...and it did cost him $1,100 to get a new one (apparently they almost need to pull the motor to get to it?) But they had to order the starter from Japan...so rare that they don't stock them in the US (thats what they told him anyway). I will never own another truck except for a Toyota.

Toyotas are the Dillon of trucks and SUVs. Buy once, cry never.

I believe that. :)

Amen. Bought my first Toyota in 1985 or so and except for one failed Ford experiment have never owned anything else.

I got my first Toyota in 1977. :) That was when Toyotas and Hondas first became popular. After I had had it a couple of years, somebody asked if it was hard to get parts for. I replied; I don't know, never needed any. ;)

I'm 6'4" and 250, and also looking for a new vehicle, as my FJ started irritating my back - and I really like my FJ - I may just swap the drivers seat out but I will have to mess w some airbags to do that.

Tundras have very little head room, and are the same price as a Dodge Ram - which is a dang nice truck - the Ram is also a bit short on head room, but the limited the dealer lent me over night w air suspension is a very impressive vehicle - and can get good mileage w either the diesel or the V6. (We just bought a stripper V6 as a work truck)

You know Nik, mini coopers are bigger inside than they look from the outside. Please go try one on for size and post some pics! PLEASE?

I have a better idea......

Next time I register for the Buckeye Blast, feel free to design a stage with the start in a Mini..... :)

I'm 6'4" and 250, and also looking for a new vehicle, as my FJ started irritating my back - and I really like my FJ - I may just swap the drivers seat out but I will have to mess w some airbags to do that.

Tundras have very little head room, and are the same price as a Dodge Ram - which is a dang nice truck - the Ram is also a bit short on head room, but the limited the dealer lent me over night w air suspension is a very impressive vehicle - and can get good mileage w either the diesel or the V6. (We just bought a stripper V6 as a work truck)

I thought I could wear a Stetson in the Tundra. I've got short legs, and am tall through the torso -- so I drop the back of the seat bottom all the way down, and raise the front of the seat bottom all the way up. That tends to leave me with decent head room -- though I'm an inch shorter than you....