Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Give an Uzi to a 9 Year Old?

I couldn't believe it when I saw the story on the news about how a gun range gave an Uzi to a 9 year old (instructor was standing next to her) switched it to full auto and the recoil lifted it enough to where she accidentally shot him dead. I feel so sorry for her having to live with that.

At my local range, they always pushed the rental of the Desert eagle .50 AE to newbies because it was their most expensive gun and the ammo was REALLY expensive... and when they would shoot the gun twice, they would be so scared they would bring it back with all the rest of the ammo unused and they would sell it again to the next sucker. One day the recoil flip hit a guy in the forehead and knocked him out, they had to call 911.

I guess I don't see the upside to giving weapons to people who have a very good chance of not being able to operate them safely.

Edited by bountyhunter

The instructor was either over confident or complacent and it cost him. Uzis ride up not down, he had his hand in the wrong place.

When my nephew was younger I had no problem letting him shoot one of my Thompsons but the difference was I was always behind him and never let my hand leave the gun. The instructor in the AZ case should have never given the girl full control of the firearm.

Even long time competitive shooters when I share a full auto with them I watch them like a hawk because the full auto world is something completely different to what they are used to.

It's a sad event for all involved and not what our sport/culture needs. I am all for teaching young ones a healthy respect and use of firearms but I think they need a little more consideration as to what you put in their hands before they are ready for it.

For what it’s worth my best friend years back was an ex Israeli soldier and SpO’s guy. He was pound for pound possibly the strongest man I've ever known.

Once in a while he would talk about the soldiering experience mostly to express his hatred for it. He told me how much he disliked the Uzi saying it was difficult to control . Trained people fire short bursts of 3-5 rounds or so.

So this is twice in a few years we have seen a death at a rental range. what the hell, nine year olds need to be prepared right?

Unfortunately I can attest to how horribly even comparatively lesser events can affect a person for life. I've met grown men who burst into tears at the memory of something that happened when they were seven.

These hidden injuries can alter a life and lead to all sorts of dysfunction. I have my doubts about the parenting ability of the adults in this story. I hope they have the sense to get this child immediate and ongoing professional help.

One life has been lost to idiocy so I hope the little girl gets the needed help to avoid another long term tragedy.

There should not have been more than three rounds in that gun before she fired it. And her parental unit is an I.Q 0.0 for letting her do it to begin with.

It's sad that these things happen, but sadder still that they happen more than once and people don't learn from them.

A child THAT YOUNG should never have been allowed to fire THAT type of weapon. Period. This was a very sad incident in all directions. Poor judgment, for sure. The victim's family, the range staff, and the little girl will never be the same.

It is gross incompetence to have anyone of that stature ever fire that weapon. Not sure if this is just Darwinism at work or the consequences of ignoring safety to make a buck. Stupid, stupid, stupid.