Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide Rods

minnesota1

I'm looking to get a guide rod for my G17 and my g22. I have had absolutely no problems with them but it seems people say you should really have a better guide rod. What are your recommendations--Wolff, ISMI, Aro-Tek(they have a few and I'm not sure the difference/benefits of a plain vs. captured rod or if you should get titanium or stainless.) If I get these what kind of springs do I need to buy with it? I will be buying from brownells so If you know any stock #'s I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob

I don't think you want titanium, perhaps tungsten? Tungsten is heavy, and many feel it provides a benefit in recoil reduction.

If you are buying from Brownell's, you might skip the ISMI. It is the rod I use (in the Open Glock), but the stock that Brownell's has on thier shelf is troublesome. ISMI will replace it though...if you mail it in.

I'm looking to get a guide rod for my G17 and my g22. I have had absolutely no problems with them but it seems people say you should really have a better guide rod. What are your recommendations

OH...why bother to change at all???

I shoot with a stock rod and spring in my Limited gun, and I do OK.

I have a Glockmeister that has given me good service. I just use the stock glock springs off the plastic rod. Would I go out of my way to buy another tungsten rod for Production? Probably not. 1000 bullets would have done me more good.

Tungsten will give you added weight upfront for a slight reduction in recoil, but remember that only the stock guide rod or one made out of the same material is legal for IDPA production. If it is a personal defense piece and you want to minimize the flip or you shoot in a category that allows such changes go for it. I like the ISMI springs because they are like the original Glock flat wire springs. Some of the ISMI springs that Brownells ended up with were not tempered properly and that is why they MIGHT have a problem. The Wolf Springs need to go on a different GR that the factory one for best performance. Hoped this helped some.

I'm with Flex, you really don't need to change.

That said, I ran stock until last spring. I had done some dabbling earlier with lighter springs, but wasn't willing to give them enough time for me to get accustomed to them. If you like the way your Glock feels now don't mess with the springs. I wanted to quicken my 34, so I first went to a clipped coil 13#. I believe that did flatten the gun and quicken things for me. I became more consistent, some was gun tweeking some was practice I'm sure.

Lately, I have been experimenting with a THE extended tungsten GR (I'm planning on starting to shoot more USPSA this spring), and another clipped 13# ISMI. I get excellent results in handling and felt recoil with this combination.

However, either of these combinations will chew up the shock buff I'm using. Also, I use the shock buff to increase the amount of tension the spring is exerting on the slide. Both set-ups are actually cut down too much.

I'm using very ragged edge set-ups and neither can be used with stock striker springs, or stock barrels. I run a fitted barsto which is harder to unlock, and a reduced power striker spring so the gun doesn't unlock when the trigger is initially pulled. But there is a difference in feel compared to the stock recoil spring, the gun seems to be much less flippy.

Be prepared to waste some springs figuring out what you like and how far you can go.

Also, when I have shot my G-17s in matches, I liked the feel. That is more what I was attempting to acheive when I was trying to quicken my 34.

I've had good luck using THE Accessories Tungsten guiderods (both regular in the 17 and extended in the 34) with clipped ISMI 13lb. springs and 147gr. mousefart loads in USPSA Production Division.

I've also had good luck using Wolff's steel guide rod and 12 lb. springs in an open G-17 and in an IDPA ESP legal G-34, although my preference for IDPA has changed to the ISMI 13lb. springs on a Glock plastic guiderod. That preference had more to do with the spring than the rod though....

yeah...some combonation of the rod and spring that brownell's had, and that ISMI couldn't get back from brownells'.

If I recall (from conversations with ISMI), Glock changed the size of the spring tunnel at some point...making the old ISMI stock at Brownell's obsolete. The result is some binding, that doesn't allow the slide to reach it's full travel.

ISMI is great to deal with though. They will fix you right up.

I've had good success with the hardened stainless rods and springs from Wolffs (via Brownells)...I have one in both my G35 and G23 carry pistol...I think they are a good idea in a Glock... makes a positive mate with the barrel lug.... regards

I used a "THE accessories" tungsten guide rod (exteded) for in a G35 with a 15# ISMI spring and I LOVED the difference.

I liked the overall balance and feel of the unloaded gun with that set up vs the stock set up.

I'm sure Glock would never consider such a change in their handgun, but boy if they did that would be great. I liked the way it soaked up the 40 caliber recoil.

I wish they would be allowed in IDPA and USPSA competition. Come to think of it I'd bet the tungsten is allowed in USPSA production is it not? Under IDPA rules, it would be legal to use a stainless guide rod on a Glock, but not a "weighted" tungsten rod. In IDPA Stock Service Pistol division the only thing that is approved is the plastic stock set up. FYI.

I've fired many thousand of rounds through my stock Glock plastic guide-rod with zero problems. I finally broke down and put an ISMI guide-rod and 13lb spring in it and can tell NO difference. If you think it will help you, then go for it. Personally, IMHO the tungsten guide-rods are a waste of money for the advantage you get (If there even is an advantage)

I picked up some THE stainless rods and 17lb ISMI springs for a G35 and soon to be G34. PITA to install that spring, cost of the rod and spring was under $20. Q/C could be improved on the ISMI springs as a burr put a nice gouge down the guide rod, a file and 10 seconds cured that.

I have Tom Novak's stainless-steel fat guide rod with Wolff springs & it works very well. I really notice less muzzle-jump or just plain gun jump, compared to the stock plastic rod for the G35.

Novak Site

I also have a CGR long tungsten rod with the flat springs but there is very little difference over the steel rod.

• 2 weeks later...