Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Classic Turret Press vs Dillon

jc3257

I searched for this topic but didn't find anything exact. I've been loading 9mm and a little .223 on a Lee Classic Turret Press for about 9 months now and have loaded 6-7,000 rnds. I need about 1,000 rnds a month to keep up with my matches and practice. I can't justify in my mind why I should invest $1,200 on a Dillon 650 with the bells and whistles. Sure it will cut down my time loading but is it worth the investment. Seems like the break even on the Dillon is in the 8-10,000 rnd range so it would be almost a year to start seeing a return on the investment. Anyone have any thoughts?

So don't buy a 650 with all the bells and whistles. I priced a new 550 for a single caliber and for 9mm it would pay for itself in 3000-4000 rounds. Add to that the time saved loading and a progressive was a no brainer. I went from loading 80/hour (I would process a batch so all I had to do was prime, powder, seat, & crimp) with a single stage (turret presses are marginally better than single stage IMO) to 300-400/hour with a manually indexing progressive.

I thought along the same lines as you JC. I used a Lyman TMag2 turrent press for about 8 months. At the time, I couldn't justify spending the money on a nice Dillon 650. But after sitting in my hot ass garage in the middle of summer, sweating my @SS only to crank out 80 to 100 rds/hr. (max) - that got old quick. I finally broke down and purchased a Dillon XL 650 and boy howdy--- I never looked back. The XL650 is a sweet machine. It cranks out quality/consistent ammo like no tomorrow (i take my sweet time and run 450 rds/hr - no BS). Anyway, I'm not trying to become a Dillon salesman here but it was worth every penny in my book. I still use my turret press for working up load recipes and and odd ball hand loading. That's my 2 cents anyway.

If what you have fulfills your loading requirements and you are happy with it, why change ?? If whatever your basic requirements are happens to change then it's probably time to consider changing equipment or methods.

There really is no break even since you allready reload ;)

The question is, what is it worth it to you to reload 1.000 rounds in say 3 hours instead of the time it takes you now. If that answer is $1200 by all means buy an XL 650.

Of course you can halve that money and buy a 550 which will be a lot faster than what you have now or even a Square deal is you mainly load 9mm. (It can't do rifle)

Keep checking ebay, classifieds and other source for a nice 2nd hand, they don't really wear out.

I had the same dilemma as you. I reloaded less(at the time) than you do but still ended up buying a 650. It was well worth the money. I do recommend getting a case feeder but the other options you can buy as you get extra cash. I felt it was a good investment. You will have to choose for yourself.

There's always a break even point but how you figure that point is up to you. Let's say you ignore the cost difference between commercial ammo and reloads to figure your ROI. Time is still a huge factor. Let's say you're awesome at loading on a single stage and can load 100/hour. Let's also assume that your time is worth $25/hour. It costs you $250 to load 1000 rounds. Now let's assume you can load 400/hour with a progressive. It now costs you $62.50 to load 1000 rounds for a savings of $187.50. A 550 would pay for itself in about 3000 rounds. A no frills 650 in 4000 or so. Still sounds like a no brainer to me.

Scratching my head... Where's the $1200 come from?

Press is ~$567: http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.650.html

Casefeed is ~$219: http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.650.html#casefeed

Rifle or Pistol Plate is ~$35

Caliber Conversion Kit is ~$78: http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.conv.650.html

My math says $799 + shipping.

About the only thing else you really need is a spent primer chute and live primer catcher. The other stuff... strong mount, roller handle... For all the more you're going to use the press, which is a couple hours a month, those things arent necessary.

Thanks guys! All good advice. I didn't really consider the 550 as so many recommend the 650. Time is always a consideration and either would reduce my hand loading time by more than half. Doesn't that mean I can load more and shoot more! :) next step will be to check out some friends setups and decide what will be best for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

queue Janice Joplin voice ... Oh lord won't you buy a Mercedes Benz, My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.

Nearly everyone I know uses a 650 or 1050 (or rarely a Hornady) but I'm holding on to my 550. It works, you can buy it as a plain turret and add parts later and it is generally trouble free.

The other option is buy a SDB for 9mm and continue loading .223 on the Lee.

I can't justify in my mind...

That pretty much answers the question.

Some day when you have more money than time, your thoughts may change (or they may not). If your happy with what you have now, keeping everything the same is free.

Reloading 800-1000 rounds a month on my Lee Turret has become one hell of a chore. I have been saving each paycheck just a lil and will be getting the 650 with case feeder come mid December.

The worst is middle of summer and winter in my garage trying to crank out ammo. I've also talked with the wife and will be able to move my reloading stuff indoors once I get my Dillon as well :goof:

I have a 550 and a 650. I loaded on the 550 for 18 years and only got a 650 2 years ago. Ill be the first to say that the 650 is a great machine and it is better then a 550 for me primarily because of the powder check option. with that said, I don't think that I am THAT much faster on a 650 then I was with the 550 and the ammo is just as good. In some ways the 550 is better as there are fewer parts and less adjustments to work with. You can also get a used 550 for cheap if you look.

I searched for this topic but didn't find anything exact. I've been loading 9mm and a little .223 on a Lee Classic Turret Press for about 9 months now and have loaded 6-7,000 rnds. I need about 1,000 rnds a month to keep up with my matches and practice. I can't justify in my mind why I should invest $1,200 on a Dillon 650 with the bells and whistles. Sure it will cut down my time loading but is it worth the investment. Seems like the break even on the Dillon is in the 8-10,000 rnd range so it would be almost a year to start seeing a return on the investment. Anyone have any thoughts?

I have both a Lee Classic Turret and a 650. Thoughts:

- Ammo is no better from the 650, but it saves lots of time (easily produces 500 rounds/hour)

- Much more time consuming and expensive to switch calibers on the 650

- Lee Classic turret press is better suited for load development than the 650..and once you have a load dialed in, the 650 is better for mass production.

That being said, I really like my 650...no way I'd have the time to load the volumes I do without it (~1,500 rounds of pistol per month). But whether or not you have time to load on a Turret Press depends on the person, and their circumstances.

Do I know you? Do you shoot at BGSL?

John MacLean

Yes sir, I do. Thanks for your input. Might have to ask Santa for a 650! Until then you can find me in the garage, listening to KSR podcast, cranking out rounds.

Thanks guys! All good advice. I didn't really consider the 550 as so many recommend the 650. Time is always a consideration and either would reduce my hand loading time by more than half. Doesn't that mean I can load more and shoot more! :) next step will be to check out some friends setups and decide what will be best for me.

One other thought JC, you can also use your Lee dies instead of buying Dillon, in fact, I would recommend it. I think Lee dies are superior to Dillon's Dies. (Thats just me anyway)

your arm will thank you when you switch to a progressive no matter what the brand