Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You're too slow

shws

I have been shooting production. Recently I switched to shooting limited. A guy, who I respect, recently told me "you need to shoot faster". Basically, he said I need to shoot faster and not worry about getting C hits. It just seems backwards from what I have learned. Which is, get your hits and then practice going faster. I am new to limited though, is this usual practice?

It took me a year to adjust my pace from Production to Limited. In Limited you are still going for A's like in Production, but the pace at which you are collecting them should be faster because when shooting major, the scoring system doesn't penalize you as much as Production for getting a C.

Try these on:

Don't let the gun wait on you. The extra recoil of major power factor is a lot of fun but the sights are back on the target sooner than you realize.

Shoot alphas. Do everything else faster, sooner or at the same time.

Stop admiring your work while on the clock. You know where it went because when the gun went off you called the shot...right? Be satisfied with that and don't stand around second guessing.

Never never ever rush...but shoot with urgency.

DNH

Just make the hits count. I am slower on steel because it dies not have a C or D zone, it is either an Alpha or a Mike. Take the time needed to call your shot. The quickest way to speed up is to improve your ability to hit a 2 Alpha or an Alpha Charlie at a longer range. When you start getting close to the same hits at 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards in roughly the same amount of time your overall times will drop considerably.

Just make the hits count. I am slower on steel because it dies not have a C or D zone, it is either an Alpha or a Mike. Take the time needed to call your shot. The quickest way to speed up is to improve your ability to hit a 2 Alpha or an Alpha Charlie at a longer range. When you start getting close to the same hits at 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards in roughly the same amount of time your overall times will drop considerably.

• 3 months later...

Best advice I got from a long time shooter was "if you're getting all A's you are not going fast enough but you can't out run a MIke"...By the sound of everything discussed above your gun handling and transitions are leaving time on the clock. Those are alot easier to fix than accuracy!