Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Don't Limited Shooters Want the Last Round to Lock Back the Sl

RaylanGivens

I used to think the same thing. In all reality most mags will lock back prematurely in a limited gun if they are setup for max capacity. Also if you've run your limited gun dry, it's all gone to hell anyway. Mine are now setup to hold 21rds and not lock back.

Here is an article from Brazos website that does a pretty good job of explaining it. http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0505.htm

My mags hold 20 rounds reloadable. Even for a 22-24 round stage, I'm changing magazines at 8 or 16 rounds into the stage. The only time i wanted my slide to lock back was when shooting Limited 10 for the ProAm Shooting competition.

Stage planning should be that you are never, ever surprised by the slide locking back. Unless you are doing a 20 round stage with 21 in the gun with a bunch of steel, and then, you should pre-plan your magazine change and not run dry shooting at steel. If you end up out of ammo, by the time you figure out your gun didnt go BANG, then cycle the slide (thinking you have a bad round), then realize you are out of ammo, THEN drop the mag, grab a new one, Cycle the slide.....You should just take the Mike at that point.

If you can't makeup a Mike in less than 3 seconds, your points 'usually' work better to take the Mike.

Here is an article from Brazos website that does a pretty good job of explaining it. http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0505.htm

My mags hold 20 rounds reloadable. Even for a 22-24 round stage, I'm changing magazines at 8 or 16 rounds into the stage. The only time i wanted my slide to lock back was when shooting Limited 10 for the ProAm Shooting competition.

Stage planning should be that you are never, ever surprised by the slide locking back. Unless you are doing a 20 round stage with 21 in the gun with a bunch of steel, and then, you should pre-plan your magazine change and not run dry shooting at steel. If you end up out of ammo, by the time you figure out your gun didnt go BANG, then cycle the slide (thinking you have a bad round), then realize you are out of ammo, THEN drop the mag, grab a new one, Cycle the slide.....You should just take the Mike at that point.

If you can't makeup a Mike in less than 3 seconds, your points 'usually' work better to take the Mike.

Thanks, Trent... all good points...

I appreciate the response and the link... I didn't realize there were also mechanical reasons not to lock back the slide... Lots more to shooting Limited than I originally anticipated.

I started shooting Single Stack (cuz I had one), and I think that was very good for my first year to learn to break down stages and learn to reload.

In Limited, the speed seems to be so much faster, the competition is, at my club at least, stiffer and it is very possible to have a reliable gun. I can easily go 5k rounds without a gun malfunction and it is almost always my bullets that caused the problems. I broke an extractor, but other than that I have a basically stock 'Edge' that keeps running.

Open looks like fun, but you need to have a reliable gun.

Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy Limited.

I set mine up to lock back. It is a pain, especially when you are setting up multiple mags to work with 2 or 3 different guns.

I bet that is why most builders don't do it.

If I have to take a few extra shots before my planned load, shoot dry, but don't realize it because the slide didn't lock back. You throw a reload get to the next array and "click". Totally avoidable with mags that lock back.

1. My SVI mags are easier to reload with 21 rounds when the followers have been trimmed of the little tab that actuates the slide stop.

2. On occasion the follower can slip over the slide stop tab, which means the mag won't drop free when reloading. On the rare occasion that I run the gun dry, I'd rather have the mag drop free and have to rack the slide than have to strip the mag (usually with another mag in my hand) and then release the slide with the slide stop.

If I have to take a few extra shots before my planned load, shoot dry, but don't realize it because the slide didn't lock back. You throw a reload get to the next array and "click". Totally avoidable with mags that lock back.

That's simply poor planning. If I have to take extra shots that I didn't plan for, I reload immediately. That's WHY I have extra mags on my belt. Even a standing reload is not as bad as running a gun dry or to slide lock.

if i understand correctly, and i am a LONG way from being a gunsmith, slidelock reloads give the chance to damage the ejector when slamming the new mag home with slide locked back.

when shooting Limited it's a moot point as noted above as there is generally ample opportunity to reload between target arrays or the like while moving and not shooting.

where it becomes a problem with a 2011 is if one shoots L-10, IDPA or some steel matches that only let you load 10.

I shoot open,(3 gun only) not many reloads, but I can tell with ALL 3 guns as soon as the shot is fired, I KNOW whether the gun is empty or not. If I shoot to slide lock it is never a surprise.

Different sound, diferent recoil , last shot is always different than the other - 24 SG, 27 P, 30-42-60 R :D

Edited by toothandnail

That's simply poor planning. If I have to take extra shots that I didn't plan for, I reload immediately. That's WHY I have extra mags on my belt. Even a standing reload is not as bad as running a gun dry or to slide lock.

So if you take make ups you change your stage planning?

Interesting.