Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MOST BEAUTIFUL OPEN GUN PERIOD!

MoonJeong

In terms of reliability, I'm awestricken... every single open gun when new has had malfunctions in the first few hundred rounds (if not thousand), something like a couple malfunctions every big stick... The blackdog had 1 malfunction in 400 rounds...

Congratulations on your new gun! However, in terms of reliability, out of three new guns that I had, two were perfect straight out of the box, and one had very minor issues. And I don't think my experience is unique.

In terms of reliability, I'm awestricken... every single open gun when new has had malfunctions in the first few hundred rounds (if not thousand), something like a couple malfunctions every big stick... The blackdog had 1 malfunction in 400 rounds...

Congratulations on your new gun! However, in terms of reliability, out of three new guns that I had, two were perfect straight out of the box, and one had very minor issues. And I don't think my experience is unique.

You are absolutely right! My 1 out of 400 failure may not have anything to do with the gun, could have been the reloads I was using. So I can say my Blackdog was perfect.

I can't say the same for my freedom gun... It took nearly 1 year before I get down to one failure every couple hundred rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, the lightning cuts have been around for ever... Cheeley, Freedom, Gans, etc... have been doing them for decades.

Two of the 3 you listed, have NOT been around for decades, do not mislead people

You are right... Both Cheeley and Freedom are relatively new comers. While the cuts have been around really long... Sorry about that - not trying to mislead anyone...

Hello: A good looking gun that goes bang every time, what else can you ask for! Thanks, Eric

Yeap! all guns have their own personality. Love the light handling shorty by Hardy, the slide in czechmate, the ion bonding on the Freedom, etc... Sooner or later all go bang or the are sold.

The cerakote finish was actually a big surprise... Would have thought that aesthetically would not be good as the ionbond, but it's looking good!

After reading through the posts again, I realized that there may be some misrepresentation on my experience with Freedom Gunworks – It needs clarification.

First: Bobby at Freedom has always given me the right advice; even go out of his way answering facebook questions I had regarding general guns. He takes his time with customers. The experience building the gun was also great, taking his time and providing valuable guidance in the build process.

Second: The Freedom gun I have right now is a gun a friend of mine from Argentina asked me to do for him through Freedom. Given that the paperwork is taking a long time, I have it in my possession and shooting the heck out of it, per his request. When I got the gun, it was really tight! And would have malfunctions. When I contacted Bobby he immediately guided me away from the new SVI magazines. He was right on that the new SVI magazines don’t work well with STI frames (lot of that in the forums also). When I went to the STI magazines, per his advice, the gun worked almost 100%. But then, I never contacted Bobby about not running 100%. I figured my friend would have the paperwork done any day and wanted to ship it to him as soon as that came through. My bad on that as Bobby is always there to take care of his customers.

Third: The culprit of the malfunctions are most likely the recoilmaster my friend requested in the build. On custom guns with tight tolerances, the recoilmaster is not the best spring to break them in on as they are weak in the lockup part of the cycle. The second part of the malfunctions was that I tried running two springs in the aftec… Bobby had told me to run one until the gun was broken in – again, everytime I contacted Freedom, I had a solution and answer – great experience.

I can see how people can be misguided from my just mentioning of the malfunctions, without giving the full detail of everything around it. I am 100% confident that if I called Bobby, he would make it right. He is no nonsense and very direct person, with integrity. Not only as a gunsmith, but he is an entrepreneur that cares about his customers.

My intention was not trying to start a pissing contest or have people that like their gunsmiths start a “Enos” pissing fight. Some do this as a living (I wish I could – that would be way cool), but me? I do this to make friends and have fun – that’s what this sport is about. So if I started some kind of pissing contest, my apologies. Both Bobby and Brad are great people and gunsmiths – even Porsches have minor issues, but when they do, they take care of you, just like Bobby and Brad.

I have been meaning to get Brad started building me an open gun for a while, and to be honest I haven't turned him loose on it because I didn't have the inspiration on any of the styling details. After seeing this, I know what to do. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! I'm just gonna tell him to make it purty and leave the details up to the artist :)