Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open didn't make major?

a matt

Actually, the declaration does make a difference if you are using Official Match Ammo (and declared it appropriately before the match).

Appendix C3:

Competitors using Official Match Ammunition are exempt from the requirements of Appendix C2, Items 38 and 39 as appropriate for the declared power factor.
:
Power Factor
Specific ammo products may be certified as meeting Minor or Major power factor for specific divisions by the US Regional Director
:
Ammo Verification
At any match where competitor ammunition will be chronographed, a competitor using official match ammo will have ammo samples collected during the match and chronographed according to the provisions of Appendix C2 #28. Should the ammo so tested fail to meet the declared power factor, it shall be compared against the average of three rounds collected from the official delivery sample. If the samples collected during the match measure more than 10 power factor points below the delivery samples, the measured power factor of the ammo collected during the match shall be used for score and the provisions of Appendix C2, Item 38 or Item 39 shall apply.

Or in other words if using Official Match Ammo, and your match day average PF is with 10 PF of the delivery day sample average PF, then you get the declared PF of the Match Ammo -- even if it doesn't make PF in your gun.

From the rule book:

If the resultant power factor fails to meet the Major power factor floor of the relevant Division, the competitors entire match scores will be recalculated as Minor, if achieved.

If you don't make MINOR then you shoot for no score

Who actually uses official match ammo? I have never seen any.

I know some showed up at Nationals last year but I'm with you...I've never seen anyone use it.

I had ammo issues on the first stage at the Florida open in 2012. I was using the green bullets and the OD was a little to much to feed correctly. I then went and bought 400 rounds of match ammo from The Pro shop. At chrono they wrote on my score sheet "Mafch Ammo" then didn't worry me with chrono. Lol

I was bit confused but then what was I gonna do if I didn't make power?

The ammo ran great, federal cases and the gold MG bullets loaded long 1.120 .40 of corse.

I chronoed the ammo when I got back home and the results were not to good. It was just a couple FP/S low. All worked out except the extras coin I had to pay and expensive match to start with.

I use it. Hell, I'm surprised everyone who shoots open doesn't use it now a days. Where are you all getting powder? I know, it's a trick question because you aren't :P

• 3 weeks later...

I use it. Hell, I'm surprised everyone who shoots open doesn't use it now a days. Where are you all getting powder? I know, it's a trick question because you aren't :P

Ok I'll bite, who produces 9mm Major ammo? Wish Atlanta Arms would, I have a gift certificate.

Why push for 9major?

Why not step up to 40 or 45 major? They make it easy.

Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 major in particular is pretty useless in an open gun. you want light bullets being pushed fast, by slow powders so that you make plenty of gas to work the compensator and/or ports. the old 45 open guns basically just had comps as a barrel weight as they did nothing else. 40 cal is basically the same story.

Why push for 9major?

Why not step up to 40 or 45 major? They make it easy.

Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 major in particular is pretty useless in an open gun. you want light bullets being pushed fast, by slow powders so that you make plenty of gas to work the compensator and/or ports. the old 45 open guns basically just had comps as a barrel weight as they did nothing else. 40 cal is basically the same story.

Even all of that is irrelevant. It's about mag capacity with 40 and 45.

I had ammo issues on the first stage at the Florida open in 2012. I was using the green bullets and the OD was a little to much to feed correctly.

If you're using .40 cal, you may want to ask Donnie for bullets sized at .400" instead of the usual .401". For me they load better and shoot just as well.

You are correct, I could have call Donnie I'm sure he would have helped me, BUT I ordered .40 180gr. Loaded them up went to the Florida Open and found out the very expensive way that he did not send me what I had ordered. This was not my first order with him. Ii was using the green bullets. So I dumped about 400 green bullets in the trash had to pay trough the nose for match ammo after I zeroed the first stage. So if I had got what I ordered, I would have been happy with the transaction as It stands I have nothing good or bad to say about the green bullet company.

I will say it will never happen again. I now shoot for Rainier Ballistics the BEST lead safe bullets on the market. Thanks you for you thoughts. See you at the range!

I should also add this was about 3years back.

Edited by a matt

I've always had very good service from Donny, and he definitely aims to please and will quickly fix anything that goes amiss. Life being what it is, nothing is perfect, and if we find a problem, it's fixed.

Glad you're happy with Ranier. Opinions may differ, of course, about what is the "best" bullet (and the "best" gun, Division, etc.)

Best regards!

Donny and I taked and he did exchange what I had left over, I'm also glad his business is doing well. From what I understand. His bullet work and work well. But they were not for me, that makes the world go around.

Thanks,

Alan

So getting back on topic - sort of...Why are Production shooters penalized more than shooters in Major PF? If you're Lim/L10/Revo/SS or Open & don't make PF you score minor - but you are still scored. If your Prod ammo doesn't make PF you don't score. Maybe everyone should shoot for fun if they don't make their DECLARED PF

If you declare major but don't make major PF, you still have to make minor PF. If you don't make minor PF, then you shoot for no score. The issue comes up if you declare minor and don't make minor, then there is no recourse but to shoot for no score because USPSA has a minimum PF just like there is minimum caliber.

So getting back on topic - sort of...Why are Production shooters penalized more than shooters in Major PF? If you're Lim/L10/Revo/SS or Open & don't make PF you score minor - but you are still scored. If your Prod ammo doesn't make PF you don't score. Maybe everyone should shoot for fun if they don't make their DECLARED PF

Another way to look at it is that Production shooters aren't penalized "more". Everybody goes down one step if they miss PF, and Major has something below it, but Prod doesn't because we're already shooting at the minimum (Minor) in order to keep the recoil down. Still, we need to make sure we make PF, or we know we're shooting for no score.

I'm going to guess that most of the Prod PF misses are with loads that are on the thin edge of 125 (maybe just a few points above 125), and they miss because of changes in location and/or temp or because the chrono used wasn't reading properly (had that problem last weekend, not watching the sun on the sensors).

Does anyone have hard data on this?