Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

purchasing 9mm major ammo

Kwontanamo

I don't have space in my apartment for a reloading press and my wife would rather not have me making ammo in our apartment. Plus the storage unit in my apartment complex do not allow materials to make ammunition or explosives.

I recently got in touch with Atlanta Arms and ammo to find out that they no longer make 9mm major ammo, plus some of the similar threads on this forum are from 4 years ago. Universal Shooting charges approx $500 for a case of 1000rds and that's a little too high for my taste at the moment. Is there anyone else out there who makes 9mm major ammo?

You might try your local club - I've heard that at some local clubs, a member reloads and shares his ammo

and expertise with others. :cheers:

Second that, I'm sure you could pay someone at your club to load ammo for you and would probably give you a break if you supply the brass and components.

There are gun shops/ranges in the Fayetteville area that will allow you to rent Dillon equipment by the hour. If you are familiar with reloading and interested send me a pm. My son lives in Fayetteville and I will track down the details for you.

Jumping out of the box as a new reloader and stepping into 9mm Major is like to learning how to swim in cold fast running water. It can be done but not recommended.

Do you have a load worked up for your gun? Have you sourced components for that specific load?

There are gun shops/ranges in the Fayetteville area that will allow you to rent Dillon equipment by the hour. If you are familiar with reloading and interested send me a pm. My son lives in Fayetteville and I will track down the details for you.

Jumping out of the box as a new reloader and stepping into 9mm Major is like to learning how to swim in cold fast running water. It can be done but not recommended.

Do you have a load worked up for your gun? Have you sourced components for that specific load?

I have not reloaded in my life. My debt of knowledge is what i've seen from youtube and how the XL650 works hahah. I have done some research and found the combination that would work for my gun. The only 9mm major I shot through my gun was from Universal Shooting for the FL Open and frankly, I don't know if I want to spend that much money for ammo again

Like Rdinga and Rowdyb said, going cheap and shooting 9mm Major is sort of like trying to get into Polo with cheap nags. If they don't drop dead, you might hit the ball once in a while. I am not trying to discourage you, but 9mm major means a "race gun" and race ammo. This reminds me of the sign I saw as a kid in a local automotive speed shop... it said "Speed costs money, how fast do YOU want to go". It's really like that. You want inexpensive, go Production, you want to race, well... you know.

But if you do find some local reloader who has experience with 9mm major and he or she will allow it, then learning from him or her while reloading is probably best. 9mm major ammo is "chancy" stuff. It is really above the limit for what is supposedly allowed for the 9mm case, so the more control you have over the process the better. Also, each gun being different, you may have to go through a lot of different combinations to maximize the results, so again, having someone close to you that you share time with is probably best.

Like Rdinga and Rowdyb said, going cheap and shooting 9mm Major is sort of like trying to get into Polo with cheap nags. If they don't drop dead, you might hit the ball once in a while. I am not trying to discourage you, but 9mm major means a "race gun" and race ammo. This reminds me of the sign I saw as a kid in a local automotive speed shop... it said "Speed costs money, how fast do YOU want to go". It's really like that. You want inexpensive, go Production, you want to race, well... you know.

But if you do find some local reloader who has experience with 9mm major and he or she will allow it, then learning from him or her while reloading is probably best. 9mm major ammo is "chancy" stuff. It is really above the limit for what is supposedly allowed for the 9mm case, so the more control you have over the process the better. Also, each gun being different, you may have to go through a lot of different combinations to maximize the results, so again, having someone close to you that you share time with is probably best.

yea that's pretty much what i've brought my self to at this point haha. Time for me to start sourcing the components and ask around my range. Fortunately, I've been able to get in touch with people from my previous range in TN who was able to help me out with ammo so that I could atleast get some practice in, along with how the ammo feels with the different loads.

It is above the limit allowed for the 9mm case

Time for me to start sourcing the components and

get some practice

When I started loading "9mm major", I started out with PF 150

and worked my way up, slowly, with a chrono. I wasn't about

to start out with PF170. Have to watch out for proper OAL &

bullet setback - solve those problems before you go to PF170.

If you don't know what those problems are, you're NOT ready to

go PF170.

Do yourself a favor - click on Forums (top left) and then Reloading

and then 9mm - then spend an hour reading past posts re: reloading

9mm (esp. the 9mm major).. :cheers: