Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550b Essentials

I'm new to reloading. Actually, I'm not new yet; I haven't even started. BUT I'm planning to reload my own 9mm, and eventually 40s&w and 45acp. I've committed myself to buying a 550b. What are the essentials I'll need to start off on the right foot. I'm only asking about the essentials b/c I already know that this purchase will be way more than my original commitment to start with a Lee turret press, and I want to keep the costs down.

Thanks for your input.

MM

Go to Brian's web site and he has easy click for 550. You can customize it minimally or "as it should be". I couldn't afford the max originally, but bought incrementally.

Focus on one caliber. Get that up, then add others as you can.

Slow and steady wins this race over time. You have to factor value and quality of tools. Things of value endure.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.ez.550crbasic.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by MikeHunter

What are the essentials

Scale, chrono, primer tubes and flipper, calipers.

Iff you're going to clean and reload your brass, you'll

need a tumbler/sorter. (You can buy cleaned, used brass, instead).

If you're good with numbers, go with the cheapest

beam balance scale you can find, and the cheapest

calipers - if you're not good with numbers, get them

both in electronic modes (digital). :cheers:

How about a couple or more good manuals? Knowledge is gold, read all you can about the process, stay safe and make good ammo.

I have several old and a few new handbooks, and refer to them regularly. I have Speer, Lyman 45 and 49th and Lyman Pistol and Revolver third edition. Lee also make a good one, you might tap Amazon, see if there are any in the used book area. Sometimes you can pick up a great buy on a used book for 1 cent plus shipping.

Smart mount, bullet tray and roller handle, and in line fabrication light mount for the top of the press are very good ideas once you get your press. You can find used reloading manuals on amazon for pennies on the dollar. I recently purchased the scale from Brian and give it a two thumbs up! If you post where you live, bet there is a form member near by that will allow you to test drive some reloading equipment.

At the last gun show I attended I noticed a couple Dillon presses for sale. Never go wrong buying a used dillon press. the worst that happen is you box it all up and send it back to Dillon for a rebuild.

Get the abc's of reloading as preliminary reading. And don't forget the bullet puller. You'll need it sooner than later.

P.s. This website is good for reloading info but you will get internet overload searching and reading all the contradictory information on the web.

Go to Brian's web site and he has easy click for 550. You can customize it minimally or "as it should be". I couldn't afford the max originally, but bought incrementally.

Slow and steady wins this race over time. You have to factor value and quality of tools. Things of value endure.

^pretty much what I did last year, no regrets and the 550b has treated me well, "as it should be" items are a real nice addition and make reloading a much better experience.

How about a couple or more good manuals? Knowledge is gold, read all you can about the process, stay safe and make good ammo.

I have several old and a few new handbooks, and refer to them regularly. I have Speer, Lyman 45 and 49th and Lyman Pistol and Revolver third edition. Lee also make a good one, you might tap Amazon, see if there are any in the used book area. Sometimes you can pick up a great buy on a used book for 1 cent plus shipping.

^also excellent advice, read.... then read some more. I've probably acquired 5-6 six reloading manuals in the past 18 months.

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

Make sure to have enough primer pickup tubes. Really aggravating when you have to keep stopping to load primers. I recommend 5 at least. The skylight from Inline Fabrication is a nice addition. They also sell a great roller handle that is an improvement over the Dillon. The U-die is a great sizing die and check out Unique Tek for more great options (bearing kit, locking tool head, etc.). Good luck!

How high is your bench? and how high do you want the press? I am 6.4" tall I build a 391/2'' High bench to clean guns & build AR15/M4'S so used 3 or 4 pieces of 3/4 Plywood stack 12.0'' long ,7.0" wide, 2 7/8" tall and bolt my Dillon 550 to the riser and to my work bench so it would just clear my cabinets. if you have any questions send me a email.

Edited by WildBill542

• 3 months later...

I just did this! I decided to commit to reloading and made one big order from Brian two weeks ago. It was delivered last Tuesday, i set it up over the weekend, tumbled some once shot brass, worked up my first loads on Sunday nite and shot them today! Very happy with my 550 and the ordering process was a breeze with the EZ program. Best luck

Make sure to have enough primer pickup tubes. Really aggravating when you have to keep stopping to load primers. I recommend 5 at least. The skylight from Inline Fabrication is a nice addition. They also sell a great roller handle that is an improvement over the Dillon. The U-die is a great sizing die and check out Unique Tek for more great options (bearing kit, locking tool head, etc.). Good luck!

when do you refill your beer? I only have 1 large primer tube, so when I load 45, I fill the primer dispenser, then refill the pickup tube, then load 200 rds, then go get beer and fill up again.

Seriously, I never load 200 rounds at a time, usually 50-100 every morning until I'm as caught up as I need to be. Leave everything set up and just sit down for 5-10 mins with my coffee.