Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT Grip and Thumb Safety

drewbeck

So it took a couple days to get the Pheonix Trinity Stainless grip and Thumb guard safety 100% done but it is now and I figured I would share my experience as detailed info was a little scarce when I was researching thee purchase. The grip took about 6 weeks to arrive from PT which was right in line with what they told me when I ordered it. I also chose to give their new thumb guard safety a try as I occasionally slow my slide down with my thumb.

On arrival both parts felt awesome. The machining on the aggressive texture grip is outstanding and the sandblast finish gave it a nice dull gray. This was my first time fitting a grip or a safety so I think I definitely took more time getting it done than it would now that I know what to look for.

On first try as slipping on the grip it was very tight but could be pushed on 1/2 way with the help of a rubber mallet. I covered the inside with blue and gave it another go to see where it was rubbing. TThe main areas it rubbed was at the front inlet and at the corner of the trigger guard. I picked up a fine trigger track stone and basically ended up polishing the points where it was rubbing. I didn't really need to removeany material but just flattening the sand blast to a polished state allowed the grip to slide all the way on and fit like a glove.

pe5epage.jpg

For the trigger I went with the standard SVI and not the triglide. I spend a lot of time polishing the trigger track and made this super smooth. I also polished the trigger bow to make everything as smooth as possible. The trigger itself needed a slight radius put on the top left and right side. The way the grip was machined there is a very sharp radius where the track opens into the mag area which could catch the top of the trigger if the trigger is set up with a lot of overtravel. With that done the trigger fit great and was super smooth.

I have a dawson mag release and with the button on the width of the frame wouldn't allow the release to be pushed in far enough to release the mag. I made a very thin shim to push the button away from the grip and it worked fine. I could have also take a little material off the grip to allow more travel of the release but I didn't want to do this yet.

Fitting the magwell ended up being the biggest challenge. I currently have the STI stainless and I'm thinking about changing to an aluminum in the future to give me flexibility on overall weight. WIthout having other magwells to test fit I wanted to remove as little material from the grip as I could and chose to modify the magwell instead. The inside front angle of the magwell needed a fair amount of material removed but because I wanted a really tight fit, I probably marked up and test fit the magwell 100 times removing a little each time until it snaps on and the holes align. This took the most time for me but if you were comfortable with your current magwell and just took a little off the grip this would have been about a 20 minute process.

The thumb safety fit was fairly straight forward. This was my first time at it so I took my time not knowing exactly what I was doing and used a little rougher stone to remove the material. I also polished the inside faces to ensure smooth travel as you engage the safety. The sand finish would probably be fine but I wanted a little smoother feel. I probably took 45 minutes for me to do this, but the next time would be much quicker.

Without any lightening cuts and with a long frame, bull barrel, and stainless magwell this thing is now a Heavy gun. The balance is awesome but I may switch to an aluminum magwell to reduce the weight a little bit. I haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing it's in the mid 50's ounce range. If you are on the fence about getting one of these from PT I would highly recommend them, the gun now balances more like a single stack (although heavier) and feels how it should be! Gonna get out blasting this weekend we'll see how it goes

Edited by drewbeck

One last thing, this is designed to be drop in but nearly all of them will need some polishing due to STI frame tolerances. If you are comfortable putting a tool on a gun it's straightforward. If the thought of that scares you just have a local smith throw it on and make sure it's right.

No fitting if you are using th PT grip.....

Ya, I will like go to a PT frame when I have a custom done.

Shot it today, I definitely need to spend some time dry firing and shooting it outside of matches. The grip felt great but I have some work to do on my index as it changed slightly with the weight. Overall it felt great and I never noticed the aggressive texture other than it felt very solid and sticky but not rough at all.

Read all the posts referring to your new grip. How much weight did it add to the gun? Was the recoil softer? What now is your total weight?. And I guess it moved the balance more to the rear. Thanks..........

Read all the posts referring to your new grip. How much weight did it add to the gun? Was the recoil softer? What now is your total weight?. And I guess it moved the balance more to the rear. Thanks..........

I'll try to get this tonight. I haven't weighed it yet and am still working. The recoil is for sure softer and better in my opinion and the balance is better even with the full weight slide, bull barrell, and long frame.

I may lighten it, I've been looking at Gans but I'm hesitant with it being hard chrome already. Does anyone have experience with lightening a slide already HC'd

Does the PT ambi safety's come already trimmed for a right handed person or are they equal widths. Im left handed and would like a pair if not already trimmed

They are way oversized even on the left handed (right) side. PM inbound

The ambi comes just like in the picture on post #2, they are very oversized on the thumb pads, actually they are the largest on the planet....lol

They were made like that because everyone's hands are different, so there is plenty of stock to grind to fit if desired

The ambi comes just like in the picture on post #2, they are very oversized on the thumb pads, actually they are the largest on the planet....lol

They were made like that because everyone's hands are different, so there is plenty of stock to grind to fit if desired

What he said...They're huge!! Personally I was looking more for the slide guard than the pad size so it's gonna take a little while to whittle them down to the size I prefer.

Anyone by the way can do this with a file and sandpaper if they take a little off at a time until they like the overall size.

Yes it is easy to do, dremel ,grinder,file, sandpaper, whatever you have to use. I also found when i was fitting the prototype months ago on my gun that a cheep fingernail file the sandpaper one works well for radius and knocking down sharp edges or whatever ,and a few rubs with the green scotch brite pad

Edited by Sudden Death

Looks like to me from the pic the right side is oversized but already cut at a angle from factory?

There is more angle on the right side than the left however, it is still wider than almost all "wide" safeties. I'll take a pic next to the standard STI one tomorrow for reference.

The gun currently weighs in at 50.2oz, I didnt weigh it before but STI lists the weight at 39.2 for this gun. The PT safety is probably 2+ oz heavier than the stock one, so I'm guessing the grip is 8-9oz heavier than the plastic.

I didn't have time to break it down tonight but next time I do I'll weigh it all.

Does anyone have experience lightening a factory hard chrome slide???

Are these slimmer than a stock STI grip? I have smaller hands and was looking for something a tad slimmer. I know I can make my STI grip slimmer, but I like the looks of the steel grips.