Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT Grip and Thumb Safety

drewbeck

No not slimmer , but not larger, you can get a smooth grip and work it down to your liking and then put grip tape over it, but PT will not make one smaller from there design

Do you know if they start with the same size grip to begin with and then machine the end mill cuts into the frame or is the aggressive a bigger grip to begin with?

Matt

Assuming they start with a standard grip and then end mill to create the recesses, I think if you wanted a smaller grip you could get the aggressive, file off all the points making it smooth and then add grip tape to the inset of the grip. It would take a fair amount of careful sanding/stoning but I think it could be done with patience fairly easily and finished with blasting and tape.

Just a thought, there would be no going back on that though!

Looks like to me from the pic the right side is oversized but already cut at a angle from factory?

There is more angle on the right side than the left however, it is still wider than almost all "wide" safeties. I'll take a pic next to the standard STI one tomorrow for reference.

Ricky they are cut, all show you mine @ CAPS or Pedro's.

All grips start life the same size, yes the type of texture depends on how the grip feels, and yes the aggressive feels smaller because the highest point of the texturing is the highest poit on the smooth, so the more material that is removed for your hand to go into makes it feel smaller but it really is not

Ya, so if someone was really after a smaller grip they could get the aggressive and file off all the high points and end up with a smaller grip if they so choose.

It would be a shame though to get rid of such an awesome piece of machining and I don't think it would really change the feel much after you add grip tape back on it.

(Your black on stainless is pretty sweet by the way!)

• 3 weeks later...

I would say it's "standard" STI height but the thumb guard is obviously very high. I didn't really notice a change in height but the size of the rest is substantially bigger as it's designed to be trimmed to your preference