Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it Feasible to Convert 1911 38 Super Mags to 9mm?

DyNo!

By adding a spacer?

I'm going back to a place where 10 round 1911 9mm magazines may not be available (But .38 Super magazines are available).

Is this a reasonable option?

Edited by DyNo!

Cameron, I've never seen single stack spacers that were not spot welded in place. I guess they could be fabbed up, but you'd need to change followers too then.

I see you are in the Phillipines now. Not going to Rockcastle I take it.

Cameron, I've never seen single stack spacers that were not spot welded in place. I guess they could be fabbed up, but you'd need to change followers too then.

I see you are in the Phillipines now. Not going to Rockcastle I take it.

Hey there! I'm actually in the states for a few months and I'll be there at the PROAM. :cheers:

That's an option. The followers might be an issue. I wonder how hard it will be to have them cut and not snag?

Edited by DyNo!

I think Wilson makes a 9 mm mag now with a plastic spacer and a short spring and follower. Sounds like if you could source the spring, follower and spacer maybe you could retrofit something there. Could you ship the mag guts there legally?

I've had good luck just using .38 Super mags without any modifications in a 1911 with 9mmP ammo. Try it and see if it works in your pistol before you spend a lot on a mod. Good luck.

I just use my 38 super mags with no issues and have for years. Depending on how long you load your rounds, they might even work better than a dedicated 9mm mag.