Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? vs. ? vs. ? magazine pouch for CZ

MissionaryMike

My research has narrowed it down to these 3:

CR Speed Versa: $29 (shooters connection).

Double Alpha Racer: $32.95 (shooters connection).

Ghost 360: $23.95 (BSPS)

I know that the Ghost 360 has the fully adjustable, rotating clicker. I'm not sure about the other 2.

Clearly, the prices vary, but not by a huge margin. Which works best from USPSA to IPSC to IDPA to etc., when I'm running around stages like a chicken with its head cut off? Any one of these more comfortable than the other for someone with a small belly?

Other points and opinions I haven't thought of are gladly welcome.

Always a pleasure,

MM

CR Speed and DA are not IDPA legal

Ghost might be depending if bullets out or front.

http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/g0hunysc.eoc.pdf

one of the pics is the CR speed- not legal because of the screw, looks like the DAA would be the same.

8.6.2.3. Cover 2” of the magazine as measured from the top of the cartridge rim down the back flat of the magazine tube.
8.6.2.4. Cover the entire outer face of the portion of the magazine inside the carrier. The outer face is the side away from the shooter’s body.
8.6.2.5. Hold the magazine within 10° of vertical relative to the belt. (80° to 100° relative to the belt).
8.6.2.6. Magazine carriers with screws or knobs that extend past the outer face of the carrier are not legal.

I have the ghost 360 pouches for production and the DA single stack racer pouches.

If I was buying them again I would go with the Racers. I think they release smoother and like the belt mount better. The racer belt mount is much smaller and the pouches can be mounted closer together, especially if you are running them bullets out. They take up much less space on the belt this way, not as much difference if you run them bullets forward. The racers are height adjustable where the ghosts are not. I modified my ghost pouches with a spacer in the bottom to hold the mags higher up, with the DA all I did was adjust the mount.

Overall I like the DA better than the Ghost, but not enough to replace them on my production setup.

I have the ghost 360 pouches for production and the DA single stack racer pouches.

If I was buying them again I would go with the Racers. I think they release smoother and like the belt mount better. The racer belt mount is much smaller and the pouches can be mounted closer together, especially if you are running them bullets out. They take up much less space on the belt this way, not as much difference if you run them bullets forward. The racers are height adjustable where the ghosts are not. I modified my ghost pouches with a spacer in the bottom to hold the mags higher up, with the DA all I did was adjust the mount.

Overall I like the DA better than the Ghost, but not enough to replace them on my production setup.

Could you please explain what "bullets forward" and "bullets out" means?

Edited by MissionaryMike

Bullets out is the primer side of the round is facing the belt.

Bullets forward is the round is positioned so the side of the round it towards the belt, with the bullet facing forward.

Bullets forward is most common

Edited by Quack

I would go with the DAA racers out of that bunch.

I've now tried:

CR speed versa

ghost

DAA racer

DAA race master.

my ranking order goes like this:

DAA racer

DAA racer master and CR speed equal second

ghost 3rd.

the racer have better mount. as mentioned they save room if mounted bullets out. ghost have a fixed 'envelop' they take up the same room mounted either way. the ghost 'spring' is plastic. it's steel on the daa racers and can be tweaked. for IDPA you could probably remove the adjustment wheel and replace it with a nut on the inside. I never need to adjust them anyway.

the DAA racer mount is much better than an other.

I like the racer masters too, but don't believe they are worth the extra money over the racers. in fact I find the draw is smoother from the racers. the racer masters have more adjustment in the mount but I don't miss it at all on the racers. the racers are lighter than the RM too.

the ghost are great value, but the racers are a much better product for not much more $$.

my tip if buying the racers is get black. the colours don't look as nice in plastic. the race masters in annodized alluminium look great in all colours. CR speed look great in colours too.

aslo a tip for CR speed. if you want to run them in IDPA you can take the adjusment knob and put it on the other side of the pouch. then it's legal.

The race masters are nice but I had to move a bit of material to prevent the mags from hangings up on the mag catch hole on the way out. I also put a little bit of oil on a finger lightly oil the inside of the pouches before each match.

Great retention, I have never had a magazine fallout, and smooth release.

If you are considering Ghost you can look at the package deal at Ben Stoeger's Pro Shop. http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=Belt-Pouches

Ghost Stinger holster and Ghost mag pouches. They are cheaper and more adjustable. With the pouches you get two holders for each belt attachment. So you can choose which way to use. Plus if you sell the gun and get something different, same pouches.

Ok thanks. Do you prefer the DA over the ghost and why.

I have some of each. I prefer the DAA racers a bit because they are narrower and I am not fat so I have limited real-estate on the belt. They take a few mins of work to mount bullets-out (you have to drill a hole for the adjustment wrench). I am a cheap bastard, so I only bought two of the racers and I'm still using 3 ghosts further back.

I started out using CR speed and havent felt the need to try or swith to anything else. I did throw on a buddies outerbelt that had DAA racer mag pouches when I tried his limited gun in practice. Didnt feel they were any better or worse then the CR speeds.

I have both (well I currently have 3 rigs, one CR speed pouches, one DAA racers and one DAA race masters). for me the racers get the nod.

The CR speeds are a great pouch, but the racers have a better hanger (less belt separation - though I cured this on the CR speed by adding velcro to the back of the mounts), the racers also are a slightly better design as they put pressure on the front and back of the mags instead of the sides. the racers are a little lighter and the draw is a little bit smoother from them. I do think the CR speed are probably a little bit tougher. It would be nigh impossible to ever break one. I love CR sped gear (and their after care support is fantastic) but given they are basically the same price I think the racers are just a slightly better pouch. plus they have the bullets out option for those who want it.

In terms of belts though the CR speed is ahead of the DAA. Better finishing, better stiffness in the direction required (DAA is too stiff in that it wants to self straighten). so don't be afraid to mix brands. :)