Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can the Square deal load the same quality ammo as the 550

I've been using a SqDeal for 20 years, and love it.

Only thing it can't do with pistol ammo is use special dies

that will resize the case tighter than factory specs (u-die, e.g.).

That might be important if you're loading .40 major or

9mm major - probably not much of an issue with minor loads. :cheers:

That said, I've loaded tens of thousands of 9mm major

with my SqDeal ....

I think the SDB loads as fast as 550 wo case feed and is less likely to build bad ammo due to the auto indexing.

I have both and like the SDB for a beginner needing only pistol ammo.

I would also recommend a 650 loaded up if you can afford it.

I think the SDB loads as fast as 550 wo case feed and is less likely to build bad ammo due to the auto indexing.

I have both and like the SDB for a beginner needing only pistol ammo.

I would also recommend a 650 loaded up if you can afford it.

This pretty much.

There is no one that can outload me on a 550 WO case feed. I'm every bit as fast on my SDB.

I load .40 for my limited gun on my SDB, and have very very very few issues. Maybe 1 out of 300 that won't case gauge. IMO, it loads as high or higher quality pistol ammo than any other dillon press.

Edited by Ssanders224

I believe all Dillon machines are capable of producing the same quality ammo. It is more the operator than anything else.

I have seen both of these statements supported by results and incidents at matches. As I'm sure many others have seen this as well.

(Let's not make a big deal out of the swaging operation of the 1050, we can argue that with the Super Swage 600; or the extra stations, you don't HAVE TO have them.)

Edited by Reinz

• 2 weeks later...

I think I would get claustrophobic if I loaded on an SDB. Just a very small confined work space compared to the other Dillon machines. That and the Die restrictions are deal killers for me. But I'm sure if those are not issues for you then it will make ammo that is just fine. There is just so much thin walled brass out there in 9mm that I won't load without a Udie.

My RCBS Rock Chucker produces the same quality ammo as my Dillon 1050. Any press on the market will produce SAAMI spec ammo, its all question of what you are willing to spend for comfort and speed. Not all that different than buying a car!