Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FO sights

Howa4au

So I'm out shooting my Edge yesterday testing some loads and I've run a few mags when I draw and on about the fourth shot I see my fiber optic kind of falling over to the right. The back end of the sight has broken off and the strip of fiber optic is holding the pieces of the sight together. Finally the fiber optic broke and I lost the rear piece of my sight because of course I kept shooting. So, I need a new sight and the question is Dawson (which is what I had) or a Brazos Micro Dot? Anybody out there tried both? Opinions please.

I have a Dawson with a red fiber (.40 width) on one STI, and I a Brazos with a green fiber (.60 width) on another STI. I think the .60 width fiber is too wide. I had the front sight cover a 4" steel plate at 15 yards. With the .40 width fiber, I can easily shoot 4" know down steel at 25 yards.

I am looking at Brazos Micro Dot with the .40 fiber width to replace the .60 width. I like the look of the Brazos over the Dawson. Both are great. I haven't bought the Brazos yet because shipping is $10 on something that would cost 1 at most 2 First class stamp.

You aren't buying a whole new sight because the fiber optic broke are you? You can just replace the fiber optic rod very easy and quick. .

Or course not. The rear of the sight broke off and it was being held together by the fiber optic. As I said I kept shooting anyway until the fiber optic broke and I lost the rear part of the sight. I still kept shooting looking through the hole in the front of the sight where the fiber goes. Don't know why it broke- I've never dropped the gun or banged it on anything.

My vote is for the Brazos Microdot. I had both on my 5" Limited guns and prefer the Microdot which has a more precise dot. Havent gotten around to messing with the sights on my new 5.5" gun which came with a Dawson .110 wide front sight. Brazos also has a new front sight called the Mannydot (the website has a picture of the standard Microdot, not the Mannydot which is different), which basically places the FO rod on top of a skinny front sight post. Problem is you need the matching $135 rear sight with an appropriate small notch. I really liked that sight set up. I should've had the Mannydot setup on my 5.5" when it was being built; oh well.

Edited by blaster113

You aren't buying a whole new sight because the fiber optic broke are you? You can just replace the fiber optic rod very easy and quick. .

Or course not. The rear of the sight broke off and it was being held together by the fiber optic. As I said I kept shooting anyway until the fiber optic broke and I lost the rear part of the sight. I still kept shooting looking through the hole in the front of the sight where the fiber goes. Don't know why it broke- I've never dropped the gun or banged it on anything.

Was just making sure. Didn't mean it as an insult but I am sure there are people out there that think that if the fiber breaks they need a new sight. Just making sure you weren't one ;)

Was just making sure. Didn't mean it as an insult but I am sure there are people out there that think that if the fiber breaks they need a new sight. Just making sure you weren't one ;)

No worries, I didn't take it that way. Sorry if it sounded like I did. I've done plenty of stupid stuff just not this time!

I generally think that the sights are fairly extraneous myself. Maybe just remove what's left of the front sight and grind off the rear blade to allow you to see over the slide better.

Alan, I may have a replacement if you tell me what you need.

Thanks Will but I was wondering about returning it to Dawson and after some of the other posts I believe I will try that. I also ordered a microdot to try.

It won't help his shooting. He never looks at the sights anyway.

Ha! You actually have a valid point. Also I was shooting the gun about normal for me after the sight broke. And my normal points down in matches bears out your point as well. Maybe Will is right- just grind em down.