Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it against the rules to use two different loads?

Wesquire

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think that would fly at any match where you present ammo for chrono.

128 is way to low to CYA anyhow, load to 135, you will not feel the difference.

Edited by cnote

FWIW, my 124gr 135pf loads out of my M&P Pro 9mm were shooting roughly 128pf out of my wifes USPc 9mm. She has never had a problem knocking down steel with good hits.

FWIW, my 124gr 135pf loads out of my M&P Pro 9mm were shooting roughly 128pf out of my wifes USPc 9mm. She has never had a problem knocking down steel with good hits.

Perfect example of why you don't "shoot" for right around 125. Different gun, chrono , or weather-conditions may result in a lower velocity. My 173 pf load in 50* chronoed at 169 at area 5's 90*. Inverse temp sensitive powder, but I knew that going in

Rule 8.3 does not state that only one load may be used. It's no different than shooting a box of Winchester white box and a box of Speer Lawman during the same match. Anything not specifically disallowed is ok.

Ah this is an idea thread, in uspsa appendix C2

Competitor Ammunition Collection and Storage

29. An initial sample of eight rounds of ammunition will be collected from each competitor at a time and place determined by Match Officials. Match Officials may require that a competitors ammunition be retested at any time during the match and may collect further samples as necessary.

On the honor system you are stating all rounds used would be representative of the 8 for testing

I thinks different loads for different situations would lead to the perception of lite loads for "certain" situations by competitors

Edited by cnote

You do need to check your ammo in the gun it will be shot in.

I didn't and learned at a match that my Colt ammo loaded to equal WWB at f-132 did not get up to f-125 in my Sig Sauer.

Fortunately, the chronoman's full length barrel was a Colt which shot like mine, and I was ok for the match.

But I increased my load enough to pass in the gun I was actually shooting at the time.

I have used 2 different loads at a sanctioned match. I made sure I sent both to the chrono check. At the time I was shooting lead bullets for the majority of my shooting, but wanted to use a plated bullet for an indoor low light (more correctly - no light) stage that required you to use a flashlight.

I have used 2 different loads at a sanctioned match. I made sure I sent both to the chrono check. At the time I was shooting lead bullets for the majority of my shooting, but wanted to use a plated bullet for an indoor low light (more correctly - no light) stage that required you to use a flashlight.

Just tell em you got 2 different loads and ask for another baggie.

Rule 8.3 does not state that only one load may be used. It's no different than shooting a box of Winchester white box and a box of Speer Lawman during the same match. Anything not specifically disallowed is ok.

I imagine the rule will change if abused.

In the mean time I guess folks can take advantage of the different colored coated bullets:

Gold - barely meets PF

Red - steel stages

Green - dark houses

etc.

Doesn't seem right

That's just my humble opinion nothing more.

Lewiston... this is a competitive event. It is shot by some who are competitors. There are Rules that apply. If the competitor is in compliance with the Rules... what's the problem?

I carry a 20 round box of factory Hornady 147 grain 9mm TAP loads in my range bag. They are there when plastic barrels are placed tightly to targets and deflect round nose loads. If the barrels are not described in the COF description as 'hard cover' (under the Rules denoting hard cover) then they are 'soft cover' and shoot throughs count. Those are the Rules.

Those JHP 147 TAP loads punch through a barrel and deliver a scoring hit, while round nose bullets bounce all over the place.

So what's wrong with that? The Rules are the Rules. If a competitor plays within the Rules.... what's the problem? If I present ALL the ammo I am going to maybe use in the match for chrono--- and it passes... what's the problem?

Show me in the Rules where that is not legal behavior. And.... if it is LEGAL behavior, what's the problem?

Show me in the Rules where that is not legal behavior. And.... if it is LEGAL behavior, what's the problem?

Lighten up, Francis.

Nobody has said it's not legal.

Looks like everybody in the thread is in agreement.

AD

I carry a 20 round box of factory Hornady 147 grain 9mm TAP loads in my range bag. They are there when plastic barrels are placed tightly to targets and deflect round nose loads. If the barrels are not described in the COF description as 'hard cover' (under the Rules denoting hard cover) then they are 'soft cover' and shoot throughs count. Those are the Rules.

Those JHP 147 TAP loads punch through a barrel and deliver a scoring hit, while round nose bullets bounce all over the place.

As long as those bullets leave round holes after passing through a barrel...

"4.8.2. The elongated bullet hole rule does not include keyhole bullet holes (a keyhole bullet hole is created by a bullet which tumbles out of the firearm barrel and appears to have gone through the target sideways,) which count for score if they were made without interference from another object.

4.8.3. Odd shaped holes made by bullets ricocheting off of the bay floor, props, steel, etc., are not scored. Only holes made by whole bullets, not fragments, are scored."
An oval-shaped hole left by a round that that obviously went through a barrel...down 5.

No grease ring present, went through prior object, now the question is it soft or hard cover.

And on top of all this, give me a break, 99% of guys shooting different loads are not chronoing,all loads

Local whatever , major ya right

Don't the rules define what is full power in the required power factor? 105, 125, & 165?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Power Factor defines the minimum power required for ammunition.

8.3.1. Ammunition Power

The goal is to compete with commonly available ammunition. The minimum power factors are:

8.3.1.1. SSP - 125

8.3.1.2. ESP - 125

8.3.1.3. CDP - 165

8.3.1.4. ESR - 165

8.3.1.5. SSR - 105

Don't the rules define what is full power in the required power factor? 105, 125, & 165?

Power Factor defines the minimum power required for ammunition.

8.3.1. Ammunition Power

The goal is to compete with commonly available ammunition. The minimum power factors are:

8.3.1.1. SSP - 125

8.3.1.2. ESP - 125

8.3.1.3. CDP - 165

8.3.1.4. ESR - 165

8.3.1.5. SSR - 105

I guess you have me. It defines the minimum.

I meant to say the rules define what is legal. If the IDPA gods really wanted us to use more powerful loads they wouldn't have set the PF where they did. By defining in the rules a parameter they are telling us what they consider an acceptable load. So for the purposes of IDPA 105/125/165 is full power for each division.

Edited by packeagle

packeagle

It's a wise precaution to use a recipe that has a bit more power than the minimum PF so you have a cushion at the chrono station.

A few years back at SS Nats a guy in my squad didn't make PF. We all felt for the guy but he was known for hugging the PF line.

I personally load my competition/practice ammo to match my +P defensive carry rounds. Not typical but it's just another day on the range when I practice with my EDC ammo.