Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide jams on slide lock but no other time

danjordan78

Have a 1911 (Kimber) that runs like a top. Have never had a single jam with it shooting 230g RN. It feeds just fine when I "make ready" and runs fine during the stages. The only problem I have is when I go to slide lock, put it a new mag, then it jams up (I know, the way to solve it is not go to slide lock! I try). Happened 3 times now over the last couple of matches. Jams up so bad I can't get the mag out and spend a good 10 or 15 seconds fighting with it to finally get it cleared, a new mag in and get it running. I think the round is diving into the feed ramp, or the mag is going too far in and jamming up. Not sure because I'm trying to get it fixed in a hurry and don't take a lot of time to figure out what's going on.

Someone mentioned I might need a new slide release/lock. Happens with 3 different types of mags so not a mag problem.

Ideas?

I was taught to "tap, rack, bang" and if that didn't work to "Rip the magazine out with great force, slam a new mag in, rack the slide and fire". If that's what you're doing and its still taking several minutes to clear the jam, then it sounds like you need a good pistolsmith to fix it.

Good smiths are expensive, but they are worth the money. Diagnosis of the problem is 95% of it and good gunsmiths spend less time on that part of it than the rest of us. Driving around the state taking it to different smiths or Fed-xing it to several locations around the country looking for help gets old (and expensive) fast.

A good smith or one of the heavy hitters on this forum could take a look at your gun and tell you what the problem is. And they will save you money because they can fix it better and faster that the rest of us could. My two cents.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

It sounds like you are over inserting the magazine.

+1. You can jam up a semi auto pretty badly by "slamming"

a mag in with the slide open.

I'd try inserting the mag more gently, and see if that

solves the problem. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

It's possible the mag is going in too far. I have some HP mags that I had to silver solder a "lip" on the base tab to prevent then from going in too far.

But it may be a lot of other things as well. The slide has less energy when doing a "drop from lock" than it does when shooting. You could have a feed ramp issue. First and most important is determine what kind of a jam we are talking about and what position the round is in when the slide jams.

Edited by bountyhunter

Jams up so bad I can't get the mag out

with only that clue, it might be what I call a three point jam where the nose of the round is starting into the barrel throat but the tail of the round is hung in the magazine feed lips. The middle of the round's case is resting on the top of the feed ramp.

Next time it jams, look at the position of the jammed round.

Post some pics and we can probably diagnose it.

Edited by bountyhunter

The magazine is over-inserting when doing slide lock reloads and jamming against the ejector, causing it to sit to high in the gun and blocks the slide from moving forward. The base plate of the magazine should hit the front of the frame at the bottom, that's what that little step at the bottom of the front strap is for. Either your frame has been modified so that it no longer stops the magazine or your mags have been modified so that they no longer hit this step.

Tim

Check out Dawson Precision as they make a mag release called the Posi Lock to prevent the over insertion of mags with slide locked back.

Sorry, looks like it is only made for 2011's.

Edited by HI5-O

Have a 1911 (Kimber) that runs like a top. Have never had a single jam with it shooting 230g RN. It feeds just fine when I "make ready" and runs fine during the stages. The only problem I have is when I go to slide lock, put it a new mag, then it jams up (I know, the way to solve it is not go to slide lock! I try)... Ideas?

Maybe practice reloading before the slide locks back? The limited ammo capacity of single stack mags ensures that the rounds aren't that hard to count as you shoot. Try it during a couple of practice sessions.

Thanks all. Will try the Dawson mag release and see if it works out. Usually shoot L10 and count my shots pretty well unless i end up taking make up shots, thats when it throws me off.

Thanks again for the advice.