Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2005 Summer Blast

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forum member .40AET called me from the range moments ago, and said much of the range area is under standing water. He said that ducks were sitting in a pond that was until yesterday the shotgun trap area. The chrono (in the worst bay for drainage) has upwards of 2 ' of water in the back, however, they have lots of other places they can set up so that is no big deal.

The good news is that the shooting zones are NOT under water and the troops are doing their best to accelerate the runoff. The guys at York put on the best match month after month and if anyone can make this work, its them! I hear the match is ON and is expected to start at 1pm today with all of Friday shooters combined into larger squads to get through today. The bad news is that the target areas are still under standing water at the moment so pasting/taping will be a very messy process.

To put things in perspective - the nearest Walmart is now officially sold out of rain boots. He suggested bringing cleats along with real rain boots and then determining which makes more sense at the moment. .40AET thinks he might go with aqua-socks today. :lol::lol:

Shot it yesterday afternoon ---- and there was already some standing water in target areas and walkways. Bring boots, a change of clothes and some trash bags for muddy gear, if your ride's nice. Don't forget to thank Larry, Linda, Howard and the crew ---- they're really earning their keep on this match.

Scores are posted for all Thursday & Friday shooters at http://lchico.5u.com & select the link for Summer Blast on the left.

I have to hand it to Howard, all the guys from York, as well as a top notch CRO/RO staff from all over. I have been at a ton of major matches over the last 14 years, and at 10 am this morning, I was convinced the match was over. Bridges and fences disappeared into a "lake" that had been a shooting range.

The locals all said that if the rain stopped, it would start to dry up and we could shoot by 12:30 or 1:00. I honestly wondered what they had been smoking. But, the rain stopped at 11:00 and we started shooting at one o'clock. Muddy, yes, but 54 shooters completed all ten stages safely.

In stats, not a single reshoot because of staff errors (missing info, times, etc) although we had a few rare reshoots for equipment failure. Despite having to re-shuffle squads and staff, everyone finished the stages and chrono by 6:00 pm, which was only 30 minutes off schedule.

I get a lot of credit for being organized or flexible, but this staff is amazing. There is not a soul here I wouldn't work with again. I am sorry I posted late, but I had to get dinner, because lunch was one of the casualties.

We will be on time in the am & ready to go. Hope to see you at the range.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2005 Summer Blast Statistician

Never, Ever! Have I seen such dedication from all of the staff on site. The RO's wore hip waders and would wade into the back of the flooded bays to reset steel and paste targets. There is no way to put into words how impressed I was with the match staff. The sky stayed clear and we had a great match. Hopefully the chrono stage will have drained by tomorrow morning.

A big thanks to everyone who was part of the match staff today. It wasn't hot, but it sure was wet. We had a great time!

great match. larry, howard and everyone else on the summer blast crew deserve a big hand. the match ran flawlessly despite the incredible rain storm that hit thur eve/fri morning.

i really liked the stages. check out these round counts: 16, 8, 16, (ok, enough of these small stages...), 22, 32, 30, 30, 32, 29, 28. no movers! and not many hard cover targets or no-shoots, so the hit factors are pretty high. fun, fast shooting! i had a blast. thanks again everyone!

What a match! Fantastic stages, excellent crew! The "Wrong Turn" stage which had 270 degrees of shooting instead of a 180 is one of the coolest stages I've ever shot.

If you didn't sign up for this match, you missed a great one.

What was really amazing (and appreciated) was that Larry and the Gang put together 10 big and challenging stages that you could get through in 1/2 a day! There has been a tendency for the big matches to want to out-do each other and matches seem to be getting bigger and bigger. While its nice that clubs want to give the shooters so much for the money, it sometimes just feels like too much. This felt like the perfect balance of size and scope for a major match. Let the "Nationals" be the mega match, while the rest of the biggies scale back a bit and be more of an enjoyable shooting challenge than a pure endurance challenge. Nice job folks.

That was one of the most well organized matches I think I've ever been to! Great job to Larry and his "chronies" (as BamBam would say).

Shooting with Bill Seevers, BamBam and Matt Trout was awesome, these guys are fun....I always enjoy the matches best when I'm laughing all day (even on the way home).

Hey guys, this match was absolutely fantastic....Easily the BEST match I've ever shot.

My performance was actually also pretty good....nothing stellar but I had some pretty solid stages....Then JJ beat the piss out of me on almost all of them. ;)

Shot on Friday and the range was underwater but Howard, Jeff, Larry and crew did a super job draining the water and making the match happen. Everything ran flawlessly despite the conditions. The chrono stage was still underwater but they manage to have one on drier ground.

Outstanding - a big thanks to everyone who was part of the match.

Very good stage design and match adminstration makes this one to add to your schedule for next year.

Great job to the whole staff. Howard and the guys really have the whole match running thing down to perfection. We shot 10 stages, 245+ rounds in 3hrs 45mins! Awesome.

Even more awesome was Travis's performance. He was incredible...according to the results. I wish I hadn't made it so easy for him, but still a great job on his part, especially since he had to shoot on Friday. No one could've beaten him in Limited this weekend.

Ditto for Dave S, JJ, and Larry H. Jeez, Dave won every stage.

ps. Way to go Magic!

Hopefully I got all of my screw-ups out of my system! Till next week.

Phil

Great Match. Probably the fastest running major I have shot. I can't believe I took second in class. I was a clown on 4 stages. Ask Barrettone. I actually juggled my big stick( 2 revolutions), caught it, loaded it backwards, and kept the muzzle safe on his stage. I gotta quit driving to these long distance matches :wacko: I did have fun.

Thanks to Larry, Linda, the RO's, and everybody else who so worked so hard to put on this great match.

This was the most enjoyable match I've shot since starting ipsc last fall. Already on the list for next year

and it just finished up. Linda was great with the stats, worked hard all day and then back at the hotel working again.

Bill:

I was most impressed with your juggling routine. I don't think I have ever seen so much weak hand activity that didn't include SWEEPING. It was definitely a sight to behold.

Seriously...Larry, Howard, Dan, Linda, Henry, Jeff, and Mike (as well as all the staff) deserve a huge "'atta boy" (err...girl) for their efforts. Most mere mortals would have crumbled under the pressure that mother nature put on them. They were calm, cool and collected as they methodically made things safe, and ran everybody through the match. I was thoroughly impressed with how this group pulled together and overcame all the adversity that unexpectedly reared its ugly head. When all was said and done, all that remained were happy competitors. The schedule that was kept was amazing, and the venue extremely shooter friendly. I was proud to work for these dedicated people. They are what makes this sport great. Be sure to put it on your match calendar next year...I will be.

Jeff

This was the most enjoyable match I've shot since starting ipsc last fall.
last fall? thats pretty impressive. you've been very consistent this year (consistently kicking my @ss that is!).
Ditto for Dave S, JJ, and Larry H.  Jeez, Dave won every stage.
not only did dave win every stage...but if you move him to limited he would have got 94% of TT! :o

I think that the entire organization down at York deserves a standing "O". From what we were able to tell shooting Saturday afternoon, it must have been truly challenging on Friday. By Saturday afternoon, the range was virtually dry. We had been advised to bring a change, from the skin out, just in case. I barely got my shoes dirty.

Other than a perfect double that was scored Alpha-Mike, and one stage that I trashed in very quick time. the match was fantastic, the officials were excellent, the stages were good. I would have preferred maybe having stages with more options, but in truth, I have no complaints.

Hope we can get a venue next year for the Mid-Atlantic so that we can have two matches again.

Jim Norman

Thanks for all the kind words! We enjoyed doing it. (other than the rain) The whole crew was great to work with, and we're looking forward to doing it again next year in York on the same weekend, if there are no major scheduling conflicts with other majors, or at the club, so pencil us in.

Howard C. Thompson

What a great match. I was thoroughly impressed with the dedication of all the staff that ran the match. I just started shooting USPSA this year, and that was my first major match. I couldn't get the smile off my face after my first stage. Just fantastic. Great job, I look forward to next year.