Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Joy of reloading 1050 vs. 650 ?

Given that both machines are set up right and serviced properly. The 1050 by far is more enjoyable for me. Especially .223, eliminating the primer pocket swaging required off the machine if using a 650. The priming on the down stroke is what I really like.

I'd be honest and say, i dont enjoy reloading at all. It is a chore. I chose Dillon because it works, 650 and 1050. Mr. Bulletfeeder, RF100. To make everything faster.

That being said, like previous post says, 1050 is easier to work with provided that everything is set to work all the time. Upward priming has its advantages on the 650, but the swaging helps a lot with smoothness of a 100 count cycle without stopping for crimped pockets. Downstroke priming is nice too but personally its not worth the price difference if its the only reason to upgrade (like me). The travel is shorter between the toolhead and shellplate which is nice. Ill be on the lookout for an RL, i heard its even shorter.

My opinion is largely based on loading pistol ammo.

Edited by Torogi

Depends, I would rather load rounds that don't need to be swaged with this 650 rather than a stock 1050.

An automated 1050 is joyless when it is loading though, I am generally not in the room while it is loading.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had an XL 650 for about 8 months and loaded about 100 rounds in each of .40, .45, & 223. I thought I'd really get into this buying every upgrade available even the non Dillon niceties like the new primer dump bottle I have several thousand cases, bullets, primers and powders, electronic calipers and scales and large tumbler and I could go on. Prob 3k worth of gear. I wish I would have just put the money into finished new rounds. Really considering selling every thing. Just buying the ammo and having more trigger time. It's not a money saving thing for me I'd rather not spend the time reloading. Think I could get $2k for all?

The joys of loading on the 1050 beat every other Dillon hands down.

The joys of buying caliber conversions are not present. No joy can be had when spending 300-400 bucks on a caliber conversion and tool head.

But if you dont need to load 12 calibers, a 1050 is awesome. I have mine setup for 9mm, 223, and 300BLK with 3 tool heads, and 2 shell plates. I have a small rifle case feeder and a small pistol case feeder that I share between my 2 1050's since they are so easy to yank out and swap.

I've had an XL 650 for about 8 months and loaded about 100 rounds in each of .40, .45, & 223. I thought I'd really get into this buying every upgrade available even the non Dillon niceties like the new primer dump bottle I have several thousand cases, bullets, primers and powders, electronic calipers and scales and large tumbler and I could go on. Prob 3k worth of gear. I wish I would have just put the money into finished new rounds. Really considering selling every thing. Just buying the ammo and having more trigger time. It's not a money saving thing for me I'd rather not spend the time reloading. Think I could get $2k for all?

Why would you buy that setup if you've only loaded 300 rounds in 8 months? You'd have been better off buying a single stage or a cheaper 550.

I'm guessing you have no interest in tuning your own loads to a desired power factor and to your specific gun(s)? That is a major advantage vs. factory ammo.

• 3 weeks later...

I have both presses, and like some above, do not enjoy reloading. That said, when both machines are adjusted and tuned perfectly, I would pick the 1050 every time. Priming on the downstroke and in my opinion, more consistency with OAL and crimp on my 38SC loads. I have run @ 25k rounds through my1050 so far this year.

Forget the production rate comparisons for a moment.

How much more joy do you get when reloading with a Dillon 1050 than when reloading the same cartridge with a Dillon 650 ?

I'd say 37% more joy. Having 3 positions on the crank is a big one for me. Processing military 308 takes a long stroke and loading only a short stroke as it's a way lighter process. Add the primer seating on the upstroke and the pocket swager and there's no going back.

Depends, I would rather load rounds that don't need to be swaged with this 650 rather than a stock 1050.

An automated 1050 is joyless when it is loading though, I am generally not in the room while it is loading.

What kind of bullet feeder are you using?

I went from a 550 to an RL1050 with Mr. Bulletfeeder, I load 38SC, 9x19 and 40,

Reloading is a PIA, so the faster I do it the better, as someone mentioned, 100 rounds in six minutes is easy. The big advantage is the additional stations (for example for 38SC: station 1 38SC Dillon die, station 2 EGW undersize die) and doing all operations in the down stroke.

Edited by dvc4you

I'm not even qualified to comment on this since I have never used nor owned a 650 but here is my two cents worth anyway.

I went from a Lyman Spartan single stage press to two Super 1050s. One is set up for small primers and the other for large primers.

So if you ask how much more joy is the Super 1050......

In my experience, the difference between those two is similar to "Walking to Town" versus "Driving a McLaren P1 to Town" !!!

Edited by GDIS46

Reloading is a PIA, so the faster I do it the better

I can load manually faster than my automated machine. Kind of a turtle vs hair thing though, it only takes a break when it needs to be filled or there is a problem.

John, I love your computer control system for your 1050! Do you have the details/instructions on how I could build one for myself or do you sell them???

Edited by GDIS46

For me, speaking specially about pistol rounds, I prefer the 650, by a large margin over the 1050. Keeping in mind, my 650 was set up by lee Neel for 40 and the 1050's I've used are high use machines at Infinity. My 650 is a sexy bitch compared to those worn out whores!!

John, I love your computer control system for your 1050! Do you have the details/instructions on how I could build one for myself or do you sell them???

This is the thread I posted when I first put it together. No real details or "prints", it was more of a thrown together project. The most time consuming part was learning how to program the PLC and display. I originally was going to just use a latching relay and time delay relay then have any fault unlatch it (using LED's to indicate which one), to stop the machine. I wound up using the PLC really to learn more about them and it also gives more feed back.

I have other projects ahead of making the system for sale but will post it in the appropriate place if I make them in the future.