Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable sights

kevin c

This question came out of my response to Clay1's glock forum post about competition sights. I realized that I really don't actually change my Bomar settngs once the gun has been brought to it's initial zero with the load I've settled on. But it's not just that the load and the gun are consistent, OTHER loads through the same gun are pretty much at the same POI, or so close for the distances used and the size of the targets shot and the way those targets are shot at in the sports I'm shooting (IPSC, IDPA, GSSF) that I haven't needed to change anything, even major vs minor.

I don't shoot bullseye or any other of the precision handgun sports, and I don't shoot long guns. I understand the need to squeeze out the very last bit of accuracy/precision in those circumstances. I understand the desire to have the confidence to hit what you are aiming at. And yes, my guns are as zero'ed with my match load as my failing, aging eyes and hands can make them. But I might as well have fixed sights for all the adjustments I have to make on an ongoing basis.

What has been other people's experience? What do you actually do?

(If you don't mind taking the time, it'd help to know what discipline you shoot/are referring to - thanks)

IPSC- I bought 2 Para's and sighted them in. They held POI great. When I changed out the stock front sight for a fiber optic, I adjusted the rear and never moved it again. When I bought my SV 2 years ago, the sights came perfectly zeroed in for the load that I was shooting. I guess that I was lucky. I could have easily got a fixed sight with the gun and been perfectly happy.

My IDPA .38 Super is so boring I finally epoxied the sight just to make sure it didn't get moved by accident. The thing shoots to the same POA no matter what load I use.

My USPSA Kimber .45 gets adjusted a click or two every few months if it appears one side of the A zone is getting more attention than the other. The next adjustment a few months later probably ends up putting the sights back to the original setting.

I took delivery of my Armco built Limited/L10 SVI 5 years ago. Took it out of the box, adjusted the sights and have not touched them since. I check for proper "zero" on a regular basis and I've used a variety of handloads as well as factory ammo over this time period.

This gun is strictly an IPSC piece but having come from a PPC/NRA Action Pistol background...I look for "X" ring accuracy even in my IPSC blasters.

I adjusted my Para when I got it and then had to tweak it after the gun had settled in. Ran with it like that until the Para sight developed some odd habits and I swapped it for a Bomar. Sighted that in and left it.

Checked it not long ago and found it needed a minor adjustment (load had changed slightly since initial sighting in and I had changed grip panels) but other than a check now and then to make sure it is still hitting where I "think" it is hitting life is good.

I dislike fixed sights. They are ALWAYS low and left for me. The left is easy to fix but the low part isn't...especially tritium sites. I just live with the inch low and adjust for center. Factory guns with adjustable sights are always low and left for me. My dad's guns sighted in for him shoot low and left for me. Not sure why this is but at least it is consistant.

Thanks for the question, but since I helped prompt the question let me see if I can put a twist on it. I understand that if you have adjusted the sight to a particular load and you shoot that load, if you had good adjustables you shouldn't have to tweak them often unless you are changing grips or different ammo etc. My specific point was if you are going to put sights on a new gun and you want to make it shoot to point of aim should you put fixed sights on and file and drift or buy quality adjustables, set them and forget it until load changes or some other major change dictates that you need to make a change. See the big difference in point of view here. If you have quality adjustables and don't change your load once you are sighted in I don't believe you should have to make changes. But the catch is: once you are sighted in.

I adjusted my Para when I got it and then had to tweak it after the gun had settled in. Ran with it like that until the Para sight developed some odd habits and I swapped it for a Bomar. Sighted that in and left it.

Checked it not long ago and found it needed a minor adjustment (load had changed slightly since initial sighting in and I had changed grip panels) but other than a check now and then to make sure it is still hitting where I "think" it is hitting life is good.

I dislike fixed sights. They are ALWAYS low and left for me. The left is easy to fix but the low part isn't...especially tritium sites. I just live with the inch low and adjust for center. Factory guns with adjustable sights are always low and left for me. My dad's guns sighted in for him shoot low and left for me. Not sure why this is but at least it is consistant.

Have you had another shoot the same gun and gotten the same results?

I have a Kimber that shoots to POA for me. I have a Colt that shoots low and left for me, but with a great one jagged hole group. A more experienced friend shoots both to point of aim. Kimber has a lighter trigger. Dale is insensitive....