Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 marking the front of coated lead bullets

I've got about 1.5k rounds through my new 2011, and I've noticed every time I "unload, show clear", that round has a gouge in the front of it. I load coated lead bullets - 1.180" truncated cone.

When I take the mag out, the top bullet is very far forward. I think as the gun is firing, the top rounds are shifting forward, and when one feeds it is very far forward and may be getting jammed against some part of the feed ramp that it should not be.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it the mags? Gun?

I think it is effecting my accuracy, as the groups I shot yesterday were not all that great, and I got better accuracy out of my G35 with similar loads, just a little shorter OAL (1.138"). Does this make sense? Can a big gouge like that lower the accuracy? edit:(accuracy problem could be due to shooter error, getting used to new platform)

Is my solution to just load jacketed for now? I'd like to figure this out.

post-37819-0-49611600-1404469752_thumb.j

Edited by earthshine402

When you ULSC, where or how does the ejected round exit the gun? Does it follow the same pattern as spent brass? Does it hang up and drop down the mag well?

Sometimes extended ejectors and long loaded ammo cause for difficulty in ejecting a loaded round. The gouge may be on the cleared round, but not on bullets fed and fired.

Edited by SJan

Here's what's happening your bullets are not feeding in the proper angle.

When the slides pushes the round out of the mag the nose of the bullet is raising and hitting the inside edge of the hood of the barrel.

And getting deflected back into the chamber.

Your feed ramp angle might need to be adjusted or your magazines might be holding the rounds at a bad angle...

Edited by carlosa

With a hit that hard some of your accuracy issues could be due to bullet set back... Not sure how light your crimp is but depending on your load a shortening OAL is going to be a problem......

Last post is most likely correct.

What are the distances on your mag feed lips on the top where it holds the bullet.

I like the rear at .375 and front at 3.90

This makes the bullets point up a bit.

You also need a chamfer on your barrel, I bet you don't

Last post is most likely correct.

What are the distances on your mag feed lips on the top where it holds the bullet.

I like the rear at .375 and front at 3.90

This makes the bullets point up a bit.

You also need a chamfer on your barrel, I bet you don't

organized by basepad color: rear front

Black : .3805 .3845

silver: .382 .384

blue : .384 .389

red : .379 .391

took a pic of the barrel..

post-37819-0-04487100-1404480584_thumb.j

I have the same markings on my 121 IFP's. I have been told it's because they are too long. I have been told they are too short. I have also been told it's perfectly normal as it's caused by the round under the feeding round getting drug into the bottom of the barrel ramp. My gun feeds and runs perfect most generally. But nearly every time I eject a round at ULSC it has the crescent shape on it.

Edited by Sarge

It is the top round in the mag hitting the feedramp edge. The round is moving under recoil. You can round the edge off the feed ramp. Also make sure the disco rail doesn't have a sharp edge, it will drag the top round forward if it does

Edited by Supermoto

At 1.180 you're probably at the max OAL your mag can handle without taking out the spacer. Have you tried working with a shorter OAL? Looks like you're hitting the bottom of the feed ramp. I've loaded as far out as 1.190 but gained nothing in accuracy as opposed to the shorter 1.50.

It is the top round in the mag hitting the feedramp edge. The round is moving under recoil. You can round the edge off the feed ramp. Also make sure the disco rail doesn't have a sharp edge, it will drag the top round forward if it does

This.

Match up that cut in your bullet nose with the bottom of the feed ramp. If it matches....

This.

Match up that cut in your bullet nose with the bottom of the feed ramp. If it matches....

I just checked. The gouge is definitely from the feed ramp.

I cycled some dummy loads. The top round in the mag is always very far forward upon mag removal.

I dont feel any sharp edge on the disco rail.

v1911, this is a .40, no spacers.

I am going to call my builder next week for a solution, he says there is a solution.