Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds do you trim before letting the 1200B cool?

A 5 gallon bucket takes me abiut 3.5 hours to process, that's enough for me in one session...

But my 1200 would happily keep going. I think I did 2.5 buckets one day, and never shut the trimmer or vacuum off the whole time...

jj

I'm still curious, Dillon, as to why you didn't put a couple cooling holes in the ends of the motor to allow for some airflow.

I did just that. It doesn't help to cool the motor while it's running, but it does help for faster cool down while not running. But Its a DC motor and it sparks alot. You would not want to use this motor (with cooling holes) while you have powder in a powder measure or primers in a primer tube - KaBOOM !! Since i use it only on a 650 and I have no powder measures any where near, it works ok.

I picked up a second trimmer. Been thinking about putting copper coils around it and pump cold water with a fish tank pump and an ice bucket.

I have run mine for 8000 rounds at a time before. 300 blk pre-cuts at 1.390 down to 1.360 so 0.030 cut depth.

The brushes on the 1200 B, well, usually just one of them, do wear down and require replacement, but in my experience they are good for at least 300-400 hours even doing long sessions, and I doubt the wear is heat related.

Every 100 hours or so, I pull the whole motor apart and clean the bearings of chips and check the brushes to see if either of them are short. Pull the brushes before you take the rotor out, otherwise they can smack into each other under spring tension, potentially chipping them and shortening their life.