Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1/2 Scale Swinger for Dry Fire Practice?

I did a search and could not find anything, so I built my own and thought I would share here. I try to get as creative as I can with dry fire practice within the limits of my living room and hallway and wanted a miniature swinger stand for my 1/2 scale targets. I went to the hardware store and bought some simple stuff for around $7 and put it all together this afternoon. It mounts to a camera tripod, and I'm using some old shock mount washers as the weight.

1) 36"x3/4"x1/8" flat aluminum bar

1) 5/16"x4" bolt

5) 5/16" nuts

2) 1/4"x3/4" bolts and nuts

1) 1/4"x1" bolt and nut

post-49787-0-43360500-1404163837_thumb.j

post-49787-0-15161400-1404163848_thumb.j

Edited by BrazeauRacing

I'll be purchasing components within the next few days. I've been well aware that swingers, out and backs, and other assorted moving targets are my real weak point. I have also been thinking about how to make a smaller version for dry fire. I kept thinking I would need a pillow block bearing to facilitate the swinging motion, since most full size swingers that I have seen rely on these bearings.

Just attended a tier 2 match this weekend where I tanked the stage with 3 simotaneous swingers. Another tier 2 match in a few weeks. I better get hustling so I can practice.

Great idea. Keep us posted if you build any other types of moving targets for dry fire.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my contribution to the thread.

The build list is fairly modest assuming you already have the bike, a hammer, and a 1/3 scale target.

Edited by alma

Here is my contribution to the thread.

The build list is fairly modest assuming you already have the bike, a hammer, and a 1/3 scale target.

GENIUS

It needs more weight opposite the target because of the bike wheel's weight

Edited by LuckyDucky

A bit more weight out further would be good. I don't think it would be difficult to figure out some other weight that would work better. It is just an easy platform and concept to play with that takes minimal time and effort to set up. There can be clearance problems with the hammer since the spokes get in the way a bit. Also you should plan on detaching the hand break at the fork for clearances sake. I think I could safely run a larger target on it like a 1/2 or even 2/3 scale without issues but I haven't played with it enough to know for sure yet. I would l be curious to see what others could come up with working on this platform.

I can adjust the speed of the swing by adding or removing weight.

Does adding or removing weight have much effect?

A little bit, but not day-and-night. I've messed with it a little and ended up just keeping it weighted for the speed in my video.