Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hardy Custom Trubor Mongoose

RKooi

Here is the latest and greatest (IMO) in shorty 9's. STI slide/frame with the slide cut back to accomodate the STI Trubor 4.5 with comp milled to JL's specs. It is just a fraction of an inch longer than my commander Mongoose and maybe an ounce heavier. Awesome craftsmanship at a great price. JL will set you up in a custom gun built with meticulous attention to detail AND 4 tuned mags (3 140's and 1 170) for right around $2700. Sorry if that sounds like an ad, but if you want a shorty 9x19 and don't want to wait months to get shootin' you may want to look up Mr. Hardy.

DSCN0355.JPG

DSCN0356%20(2).JPG

Thanks BigDave,

It's a great handling and feeling pistol. It is flat but not real abrupt (at least to me.) I have been shooting the true commander setup and really like it but this one seems, I don't know, just softer. I have a shok buff in this one which may be the reason for the different feel (can't shorten the commander stroke :P ) All I can say is that I am very happy.

these barrels are not stock items. they are custom pieces from sti and have to be bought in quantity to have them made. the comp is of my own design for the 9mm. the stinger barrel is 3.9 inches and sti says they aren't going to make them available to the public. so you have to buy the gun. the keeper of the barrels is a member here and can speak up if he wishes. good shooting, j.l. hardy

Thanks guys, it is a fine open gun.

Jon, I'll try to make the SR 3 gun but I'm not sure (3 gun is almost too much candy for a dime... :D )

You can't see it in these pics, but the sidewinder is snug in its dovetail retained by its ball/detent. No set screw; and it's beautifully blended to the slide.

Brazos thumb shield, Les Baer ambis, Dawson Ice magwell, Extreme Engineering internals....the list goes on.

from one builder to another, nice lookin' blaster JL. if we all keep trying to out do each other, the customer, as well as the builders will benefit, by pushing each other to come up with the next hottest set-up. and there will be plenty of work to go around.

Here is the latest and greatest (IMO) in shorty 9's.  STI slide/frame with the slide cut back to accomodate the STI Trubor 4.5 with comp milled to JL's specs.  It is just a fraction of an inch longer than my commander Mongoose and maybe an ounce heavier.  Awesome craftsmanship at a great price.  JL will set you up in a custom gun built with meticulous attention to detail AND 4 tuned mags (3 140's and 1 170) for right around $2700.  Sorry if that sounds like an ad, but if you want a shorty 9x19 and don't want to wait months to get shootin' you may want to look up Mr. Hardy.

After my SVI' s time out and my body times out I'm going for a Open Shorty as well. Within two or three years my eyesight is deteriorated that much that I have to go from Standard to Open. I'm ready for a gun like in quoted post, RKooi: Nice gun, really nice gun! :)

Oncoming Signature: Shorty's and a Porsche Carrera 'cause the latter is for life ;)

Here are two more pics. I will try to get a close up of the slide racker and its ball detent setup. The guide rod is delrin (JL makes 'em up to fit) and we use an 8 or 9 lb commander spring. In this one I have a .150 aluminum shok buff but you can go as far as .250 (JL correct me if that is bad info.)

kooi4.jpg

kooi5.jpg

mcoliver, what you refer to is a result of the fitting and not the ball detent. properly fitted the slide racker should be snug, but not press fit. the ball detent maintains spring pressure on the racker and comes to rest in a detent in the racker itself. properly fitted it will not shoot out. i have had one on my open gun for several thousands of rounds and its still the same as the day it was installed.good shooting, j.l. hardy

What JL said. This racker doesn't move. I much prefer it to the set screw variety because if you didn't loktite that style down, it would work loose. With loktite, it was a real pain to remove for cleaning. The properly fit ball/detent style is the way to go.

After receiving accusations from the Hardy Custom PR department <_<, that I was not keeping my own website up to date with the latest blaster technology that I was using, I have now updated my site to include the, admittedly not so new now, current species of Hardy Mongoose in my stable. This later model is just like the old one in the respect that it has the true commander slide, but has a different comp and lightening cuts on the front end, has the detent slide racker, serendipity mount instead of STI C-More mount, etc. After shooting this gun it was obvious it was a bit lighter (38.8 oz), but more importantly, to me was the way this gun balanced in my hand as compared to the former animal. Not as purdy as Roger's, but I can't quit shooting it long enough to send it off to be hard chromed. Check it out here:

New Mongoose

• 2 weeks later...