Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you use your chrono data for?

I ran a lot of different pistol lads through my prochrono digital this afternoon on my first outing with it. It seemed to work flawlessly giving me numbers with every shot fired over it. Now what do I use the data for?

Useful for getting the dope correct on rifle rounds. Knowing the average velocity out of MY rifle and the ballistics of the round along with my scope reticle has been a real asset in longer range games. Out local 3 gun matches tend to have a couple longer stages. Plus the DMR bug has bitten.

Also checking power factor for pistols.

What do you use the pistol for? Hunting? Target shooting? Self defense? Competition?

The chrono will keep you safe - you may be loading too hot - which is dangerous to you

and to your prized gun.

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your pistol. :cheers:

Another reason - Most powders have some degree of lot-to-lot variances, so chrono'ing is a way to determine if you need to tweak your loads when going to another lot# of the same powder.

I think it's pretty much all summed up:

• PF for pistol
    • Checking effects of temperature on a load
  • Working up safe loads with new components
    • Using existing known data to interpolate a bit when changing components
  • Checking SD/ES on load changes (as stated, at least sometimes lower SD/ES leads to a better load)
  • Getting avg velocity for rifle rounds for ballistics
Edited by rtp

What do you use the pistol for? Hunting? Target shooting? Self defense? Competition?

I use my pistols for non-competitive target shooting and one pistol (G35) for local bowling pin competition.

igolfat8, you really don't need a chrono for the non-compet target shooting, except it might help

you establish a load with low SD.

I imagine you'd want to run your bowling pin load pretty hot, and the chrono would come in

handy to know when you're approaching max. & the SD thing, again. :cheers:

I like most have stated use mine to make sure I can make PF and also when trying to developed a load with powder I haven't used. It's also nice to see if different temperatures and humidity effect loads.