Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929's showing up anywhere?

seanc

I ordered one from a very large gun shop that sources from smith and 6 different distributors and he said it was going to be months, less than 6 probably, but it was going to be awhile.

That what I figured. The comment from the guy at the shop who does all the ordering and special orders is saying what everyone else is saying, production volume for steel guns is low, not enough hands and machines to make them...

Edited by seanc

I've heard they are still having a few QC issues and probably won't really hit production mode until about August.

This seems unlikely. They already have experience with N Frames and N Frame titanium cylinders. What could be the QC issue...

Then again, I've only seen one hit gunbroker ever yet, so...

I've also got a 929 (my posts are on this site). The gun was well made/built, no problems there. An eye opener, 9mm brass varies from the manufacturer's. The 3 Factory moon clips are very loose with all brass. My biggest problem has been me striving for the 5# trigger. I've polished the internals, added a lightened MIM hammer, changed the grips, fibber optic sights, front & rear, etc. A local EDM company is making my moon clips for way less than $7.00 each . I'm using nickel plated (+P) Speer/Federal brass and yes, there is a difference between the two. I signed up long ago and the local FFL is a volume dealer. I think that they took pity on me as I'm 72 and told them I can't wait for ever???.. (Thanks, Vic & Ron).... (They ordered 6 and received one pistol). I gave up on holsters (a different length one for each pistol and got the AA holster (Fit's all 3 of my S&W's).

I've heard they are still having a few QC issues and probably won't really hit production mode until about August.

This seems unlikely. They already have experience with N Frames and N Frame titanium cylinders. What could be the QC issue...

Then again, I've only seen one hit gunbroker ever yet, so...

I've heard stories of barrels not timed properly and one confirmed that needed to have the chambers hit with a finish reamer.

They've had experience with N frames for the better half of a century, yet several of the 625 variations have inherent problems. Experience doesn't necessarily create good QC. Kind of like Ford, they had plenty of experience designing cars, but that didn't prevent the problems with the Pinto.

The recommendation I got was to wait until the -1 or -2 comes out. Problems will be worked out by then and the initial craze will be over so they will be easier to get.

The recommendation I got was to wait until the -1 or -2 comes out. Problems will be worked out by then and the initial craze will be over so they will be easier to get.

That assumes they make more than one run of these. I can't imagine this gun appealing to anyone other than us or the collectors.

I don't think that it matters when you buy one, all of them no matter what revision are subject to poor assembly or great, they will all likely need some work which is typical of anything coming out of the Performance Center. The 929 that I have had an under clocked barrel which is a first for me since they are usually over clocked. Roll the dice and maybe you will get the perfect one. Waiting for a later revision won't guarantee anything.

I don't think that it matters when you buy one, all of them no matter what revision are subject to poor assembly or great, they will all likely need some work which is typical of anything coming out of the Performance Center. The 929 that I have had an under clocked barrel which is a first for me since they are usually over clocked. Roll the dice and maybe you will get the perfect one. Waiting for a later revision won't guarantee anything.

What is under clocked and over clocked?

It is a reference to how the barrel is indexed to the frame. If you think of the front sight being set to 12 O' clock, where it should be. When they over tighten a barrel they go past 12 O' clock (over clock) and when viewed by the shooter the front sight will be to the left and you will have to move the rear sight over to the left side to catch up with where the front sight is. Additionally when they over tighten a barrel it will create a constriction in the forcing cone and hurt accuracy and be prone to leading up the forcing cone. When done correctly the sight will be strait up at 12 O' clock and not be over tightened. Some smiths will machine the face of the barrel so that you can just hand tighten the barrel to 12 O' clock and Locktite it in place to avoid any forcing cone constriction.

A very noticeable increase in accuracy can be obtained in a factory fresh Smith and Wesson revolver by recutting (concentric) the forcing cone, crown and setting the barrel back. Setting the barrel back finger tight with red Loctite removes the constriction caused during the installation process. I wouldn't be concerned with trying to get a barrel clocked perfectly from the factory, because for maximum accuracy it needs to be set back anyway.

Edited by toothguy

It's kind of like when one guns comes with a 12 lb. trigger and another comes with a 9 lb. I'm still going to have to do the same work to it either way. They don't come from S&W race ready and I don't expect them to. I just want some good parts to work with.

I wouldn't mind getting a 929 when they become more available, in the meantime the 627 will keep me busy.

Toothguy or anybody else who has had this type of work done...any recommended shops for setting back the barrel, recutting the forcing cone, etc.?

Clark Custom Guns maybe able to do it for you. I have done a few myself after watching and learning from Warren Moore (Toolguy). Over the years I have bought special tools when projects came up. It's really gives satisfaction to do it yourself. Smith and Wesson revolvers are really good guns they just need a little tweaking to be perfect.

I wish you were my neighbor. :bow:

Yeah, I did some stuff to the 627 and enjoyed it, but I think it would be best for me to get a pro to do the barrel setback/forcing cone cutting thing if I decide to go that way. Thanks for the suggestion about Clark.