Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance Barrel Shroud

RJH

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if you purchased the 35 barrel and asked for them to ream it you will be perfect. If Robin decides to make some of these to fit the 9mm and .40 to 9 conversion barrels he will sell a ton of them too.

on another note, I tried blue Loctite to hold my shroud and set screw in place. After about 300 rounds it came loose. Mine is now done with #262 which is what I have used on comps in my pin guns for years. It will hold it but you better be quick getting the sight block in place. You only have a few minutes and that baby is locked.

Hmmm,

Currently running blue with mine. If I shoot this weekend's match, I'll keep an eye on it. Might have to switch to the #262 Loctite.

I was sitting here looking at the wrong bottle of Loctite when I typed that earlier, I actually used 620. I use the 262 for rear sights. It will not come loose with 620 and you better be damn quick about getting on there straight because when it sets up it is there and it will take a torch to get it off. I am not planning on taking mine back off as you can clean everything with the barrel in place.

Oh, OK, the Ralph Nader approach. I blame him for most of the stupidity in the world. It once was a time when all the really stupid people took care of themselves, then came Ralph. See what you did to us Ralph. Shame on you!

I finally got some time today to put mine on paper for any fine tuning with the sights. I have run 400 round through it on the plate rack shooting 6 and 8 inch plates from various distance and noticed at 25 yards it was hitting the plates all to the right. I shot a very good group at 25 yards but it was 2" to the right as I suspected. Came in and tapped my sight over and shot another group, still 2" to the right. I checked the sight block for level and made sure the front sight cut was center and it was. Tapped the rear sight over more, another group, same thing...what the hell? I had not shot this gun prior to doing all the mods but I noticed that the stock rear sight was all the way left before I changed it. I studied everything and thought about it for a good while and decided to swap over to my 24 slide, guess what? 2" to the right. I pulled the pins and the locking block just fell out. I am on to something I think. I had purchased one of the machined LWD locking blocks back when they were on an introductory sale a few months back so I stuck one in, I had to force it into the frame. I put my rear sight back to center and fired a group, dead center, 1.8" group, center of the 2" blue square I was using as a target. Problem solved if you ever run into this change the locking block.

I finally got some time today to put mine on paper for any fine tuning with the sights. I have run 400 round through it on the plate rack shooting 6 and 8 inch plates from various distance and noticed at 25 yards it was hitting the plates all to the right. I shot a very good group at 25 yards but it was 2" to the right as I suspected. Came in and tapped my sight over and shot another group, still 2" to the right. I checked the sight block for level and made sure the front sight cut was center and it was. Tapped the rear sight over more, another group, same thing...what the hell? I had not shot this gun prior to doing all the mods but I noticed that the stock rear sight was all the way left before I changed it. I studied everything and thought about it for a good while and decided to swap over to my 24 slide, guess what? 2" to the right. I pulled the pins and the locking block just fell out. I am on to something I think. I had purchased one of the machined LWD locking blocks back when they were on an introductory sale a few months back so I stuck one in, I had to force it into the frame. I put my rear sight back to center and fired a group, dead center, 1.8" group, center of the 2" blue square I was using as a target. Problem solved if you ever run into this change the locking block.

Interesting. I figured those might just be snake oil. I'll have to keep this in mind if I have issues. I currently have my glock 17 running a 100% with new springs, connectors and the replacement Gen 3 parts for the recoil system. Next I am going to start trying it out with the g34 barrel to make sure it still running and hopefully Robin will have some sight blocks for the 9mms for me to pick up soon.

Interesting. I figured those might just be snake oil. I'll have to keep this in mind if I have issues. I currently have my glock 17 running a 100% with new springs, connectors and the replacement Gen 3 parts for the recoil system. Next I am going to start trying it out with the g34 barrel to make sure it still running and hopefully Robin will have some sight blocks for the 9mms for me to pick up soon.

The only difference is supposed to be how they are made. The OEM in this gun was a MIM part and the lug is crooked. The LWD looks like a well made part machined and not cast. Time will tell but at least it is straight. :) If it turns out to be junk I am out $12.00.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I just hope they read the comments box for the order!

Did LW charge you 30 bucks to ream it? They sent me an email asking me about it, I had noted it in the comments as well, and I emailed back asking about it and said I would take it as is figuring I can pay that locally if I end up needing to have it reamed. Got an email today and it had shipped but was charged for the ream, I assume it was done but not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet, but I did sit down and modify all the remaining 40-cal Sight Blocks to work with a Gen 4-to-Gen 3 recoil spring conversion. I'd set them up originally for the Gen. 3, not realizing that the Gen. 4's larger-diameter spring moves the recoil guide rod down slightly.

Next version I'll be looking for ways to run a stock Gen. 4.

Not yet, but I did sit down and modify all the remaining 40-cal Sight Blocks to work with a Gen 4-to-Gen 3 recoil spring conversion. I'd set them up originally for the Gen. 3, not realizing that the Gen. 4's larger-diameter spring moves the recoil guide rod down slightly.

Next version I'll be looking for ways to run a stock Gen. 4.

Very cool. Thanks for the update. Very excited for a 9mm version to come out that's Gen 4-3 ready :D

I have a G22 with a threaded barrel so I thought I would save myself a $100 on a new barrel so I ordered the cut down G35 version. I knew going into it that it was not the designed size so I took my chances. I installed it and thought I would post pictures. It has a larger gap than the G22/G35 threaded barrel combo but I knew it may not be perfect. I am waiting for the Loctite to cure so I will probably shoot it tomorrow and see what it is like. Pics so far...

B4203B4E-562D-41FB-9E10-494E42E067DD_zps

F9413F84-4A38-4F31-9217-375BDAEE95E6_zps

That gap is necessary for the slide to unlock. Just a hair longer than my G34.

Edited by dogtired

The disclaimer really was meant to preface an off use of the shortened Block. I did not want viewers to think that was the standard "look".

It measures about 1" longer radius. It looks good.

If I like the sight tracker effect I will get one for the 9mm conversion. I just emailed Lone Wolf about shortening and threading a G24 conversion barrel to 9/16x24. I will see what they say.

Edited by dogtired

First comp, first stage, with the G35 with block."

How do you like the 35 with the block? How does it compare to a standard G24?

I like it so far. The sight seems to track a little better.

I can't compare it against a 24, since I'd never shot a 24.