Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance Barrel Shroud

RJH

And this just happened today.

I believe this might be the first of its kind, since Robin hasn't seen one or know of one that had existed.

7A855F17-E607-4E27-9836-03F1AD10510F_zps

post-40959-0-84609600-1431230994_thumb.j

Edited by knedrgr

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G17 FSB: Several of you have asked about creating G17-based FSB guns. I just sent a couple of blocks (one stock, one radically lightened) to a customer who custom-ordered a KKM Glock 34 barrel, threaded to 9/16X24 to match.

I shot my prototype G17FSB at the Man Of Steel invitational last weekend and managed to take Top Limited (the top guys shot Open). I had some cycling issues with the prototype last year, but with a sample size of ONE it has been tough to know whether lightening the sight block was the answer, or tuning the load, or whether I was having some sort of break-in issue with the barrel.

I do have to gauge my ammo (which is annoying in a Glock), but so long as I feed it gauged ammo, this combo rocks.

Built sheet: LWD G34 barrel w/prototype sight block, stock spring, stock rear, Hi-Viz fiber front (green). Running 135-grain MTG RN's over 4.X 231. Ghost rocket trigger, with an old Lightning Strike stainless magwell.

I only poke my head in the door of the Forum every once in a while, so ping me direct if you need an answer in real time.

G17 FSB: Several of you have asked about creating G17-based FSB guns. I just sent a couple of blocks (one stock, one radically lightened) to a customer who custom-ordered a KKM Glock 34 barrel, threaded to 9/16X24 to match.

I shot my prototype G17FSB at the Man Of Steel invitational last weekend and managed to take Top Limited (the top guys shot Open). I had some cycling issues with the prototype last year, but with a sample size of ONE it has been tough to know whether lightening the sight block was the answer, or tuning the load, or whether I was having some sort of break-in issue with the barrel.

I do have to gauge my ammo (which is annoying in a Glock), but so long as I feed it gauged ammo, this combo rocks.

Built sheet: LWD G34 barrel w/prototype sight block, stock spring, stock rear, Hi-Viz fiber front (green). Running 135-grain MTG RN's over 4.X 231. Ghost rocket trigger, with an old Lightning Strike stainless magwell.

I only poke my head in the door of the Forum every once in a while, so ping me direct if you need an answer in real time.

You know if you had the chamber reamed in that LWD all those chambering problems would disappear. It sure makes life easier but I am sure you already know this.

I just traded for a Gen4 G17 and am having a hard time fighting the urge to buy a barrel, sights and this shroud to try out for a steel gun.

Any specs, costs, etc on the lightened block? Obviously I would want to respring the recoil system and I'll prob put my standard trigger in. But this looks really promising and cool.

You're looking at about $125 for the barrel, $50 for the block, and a Gen 4 to Gen 3 conversion kit (LWD, Carver, whomever, maybe $40). Tell me you're using it on a Gen 4 and I'll drill out the hole slightly to accept the conversion unit -- because of the larger diameter, it attaches lower than the Gen 3.

Robin

You're looking at about $125 for the barrel, $50 for the block, and a Gen 4 to Gen 3 conversion kit (LWD, Carver, whomever, maybe $40). Tell me you're using it on a Gen 4 and I'll drill out the hole slightly to accept the conversion unit -- because of the larger diameter, it attaches lower than the Gen 3.

Robin

Thanks! On my production guns, Gen 4 G34s, I pulled the recoil guts and replaced them with a reducer washer, uncap'd guide rod and an ISMI spring. Would that work for this? I am having a hard time talking myself out of this project gun!

So what barrel length do we need to make it work?

The way i read the website is a g35 threaded barrel for a g22 slide, right?

So what barrel is in knedrgr's super-boss looking ZEV g34/35?

I'm having issues with prescription glasses and close front sights, this combo may be a solution.

So what barrel length do we need to make it work?

The way i read the website is a g35 threaded barrel for a g22 slide, right?

So what barrel is in knedrgr's super-boss looking ZEV g34/35?

I'm having issues with prescription glasses and close front sights, this combo may be a solution.

The shroud is threaded on the front end. So yes, a G34/35 threaded barrel is needed for a G17/22 slide. And the same length is needed for a G34/35 slide. Therefore I'm running a threaded G24 barrel in my G35.

As seen in prior posting, Robin has cut down the block for those that wants to run a threaded G34/35 barrel on their G34/35 slide.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I am in. I spoke with Mr Taylor last week and ran some questions by him on this. Talk about a nice guy who is super knowledgeable! I was really impressed.

I am going a slightly different route. I am going to make a Glock 17L out of a Gen 4 Glock 17 I traded for a while back. I have started putting together and ordering parts. I will do a blog series for our team's website. Hopefully I can get it all running. I plan on using this for Steel Challenge and 3 Gun. Though I may take a breather from Production for a few weeks and run Limited minor for giggles.

Here's where I am starting:

Pistol - Glock 17 Gen 4
Barrel - LWD G34 Threaded
Sights - Dawson Precision Adjustable blk rear and FO front
Trigger - Zev Starter Spring Kit and V4 Disconnector (and LOTS of polishing)
Recoil Assembly - Zev SS guide rod and ISMI 13lb spring with Zev reducer washer
Magwell - Dawson Ice for Gen 4 with Med back strap.

The 9mm ammo I run through my production guns, and what I plan on running through is, is 124 FMJ at 128 Pf. Pretty excited about this.

Alright, I am in. I spoke with Mr Taylor last week and ran some questions by him on this. Talk about a nice guy who is super knowledgeable! I was really impressed.

I am going a slightly different route. I am going to make a Glock 17L out of a Gen 4 Glock 17 I traded for a while back. I have started putting together and ordering parts. I will do a blog series for our team's website. Hopefully I can get it all running. I plan on using this for Steel Challenge and 3 Gun. Though I may take a breather from Production for a few weeks and run Limited minor for giggles.

Here's where I am starting:

Pistol - Glock 17 Gen 4

Barrel - LWD G34 Threaded

Sights - Dawson Precision Adjustable blk rear and FO front

Trigger - Zev Starter Spring Kit and V4 Disconnector (and LOTS of polishing)

Recoil Assembly - Zev SS guide rod and ISMI 13lb spring with Zev reducer washer

Magwell - Dawson Ice for Gen 4 with Med back strap.

The 9mm ammo I run through my production guns, and what I plan on running through is, is 124 FMJ at 128 Pf. Pretty excited about this.

Sounds like a great plan. Can't wait to see the final build.

Are you planing on a regular magwel or one that's specific for the backstrap? Could run a regular magwell and cut the strap, before it goes Into the MW.

I've got a G17 that collects dust in the safe that I'm thinking of turning into a 3gun pistol. Anyone who has used this on a 17/22 what holster will it fit in? One for a G34 or do you need one that fits a G17L? Specific to 9mm, as anyone had to adjust loads to make pistol function with the increased barrel weight?

If you have an open-end holster, it should fit into a 17. But if it's closed-end, you'll need a 17L/24 holster.

Thanks for the info, so far I don't have a holster. The gun was a deal I couldn't pass up and now I'm just trying to find a use for it. Gonna shoot it in a few matches and if I like it gonna modify it.

If you have an open-end holster, it should fit into a 17. But if it's closed-end, you'll need a 17L/24 holster.

Thanks for the info, so far I don't have a holster. The gun was a deal I couldn't pass up and now I'm just trying to find a use for it. Gonna shoot it in a few matches and if I like it gonna modify it.

Order one for a G24/17L I had to mod a bladetech to fit mine in it.

And this just happened today.

I believe this might be the first of its kind, since Robin hasn't seen one or know of one that had existed.

7A855F17-E607-4E27-9836-03F1AD10510F_zps

Finally was able to run two mags through this new set up, and I'm pretty happy with it. Sight was easier to pick up. Pretty happy with pinging steel head shots at 20 yards.

And I was also shooting a more powerful load: 4.1gr vs 3.8gr. So hope the 3.8gr will feel softer and track the sight flatter.

Robin, any suggestion on what height Dawson FO Front sight to use with this set up assuming a fully adjustable rear is being used?

FWIW

I'm running a 10-8 Performance sight set with a 0.215" front, and it's hitting POA/POI.

Robin, any suggestion on what height Dawson FO Front sight to use with this set up assuming a fully adjustable rear is being used?

FWIW

I'm running a 10-8 Performance sight set with a 0.215" front, and it's hitting POA/POI.

Awesome, thank you!

Just a heads up, if anyone else is doing a G17 like I am, you need a KKM barrel with 9/16 x 24m which is a special order. I mistakenly order a threaded g34 barrel from LWD, thinking it would work, but their thread pitch will not work with the TF Sight Block.

Sights are in, Robin is been super helpful in getting me squared away on the sight block. I should have that in hand soon.

I am going to call Lone Wolf tomorrow to see if they will take this barrel back and calling up KKM to order a barrel with the right threading.