Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance Barrel Shroud

RJH

I agree and it is not like everyone has not expressed this to them. But, if you send it back to them with some dummy rounds and complain a little they will fix it for you for free and turn around is about a week. I always tell them to give me the "GT Hole" before shipping and I have never had a issue.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as I request Lone Wolf to throat and ream the chamber for lead before shipping I have never had an issue with any of their barrels. I have around 15 of them mixed in with KKM and Bar-Sto barrels in different guns. The Bar-Sto shows an improvement in accuracy in every gun I have fitted them to. The KKM and LWD barrels will sometimes be an improvement over the stock barrels but never any worse and neither is any more accurate or dependable than the other after reaming. Both brands need to be throated and reamed to optimize them and I have had several Bar-Sto's that needed this to reliably shoot coated lead and to alleviate the tight chamber. Other than having a super tight chamber, which they will fix for free, I don't understand why LWD is so frowned upon.

Did your gauges ever tell you anything in any difference between the brands?

If you are speaking of measuring the different aspects of the barrels for comparison the difference between the KKM and the LWD is pretty much a wash. On the Bar-sto it's a whole different game, not even close to the previous 2 brands. My biggest and most important gauge is a piece of paper sitting 25 yards from the muzzle and that gauge is worn out.

I agree and it is not like everyone has not expressed this to them. But, if you send it back to them with some dummy rounds and complain a little they will fix it for you for free and turn around is about a week. I always tell them to give me the "GT Hole" before shipping and I have never had a issue.

I called earlier this week. They said four weeks on the phone and $30. I brought it to my local smith tonight and he did it for $25 while I waited. I've used other drop in barrels. This will be the last lone wolf.

I don't know if you talked with Dan, who is the person there that does these modifications, but it never took more than 7 business days for me to get one back and I have never paid to have it done. The best way is to have Dan do it before it leaves. I have ordered a barrel, had it reamed and throated and had it ship the very same day at no charge for the work. I keep telling them that they should offer their barrels both ways, one with a match chamber and one with a standard. As I have said before though, LWD's is not the only barrel I have reamed or had to have reamed before I could shoot coated lead with 100% reliability.

Anyone tried one of these yet. I have a 35 and a 22, the sight radius on the 22 with this addition puts it at the same length as the 24? I've never shot a true sight tracker but I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with this product.

Thanks,

JG

I shot with Robin Taylor as promised on page one of this thread. Shooting the sight block was interesting. I ran his top end on my frame. He had stock Glock sights on it, which I've never used in a match before. Drawing the longer gun from my kydex holster was not as smooth as my regular G35. It was a short match of only 6 stages, so I did not have a lot of time to play with it. I did not shoot any groups before competing, so I wasn't really sure where the shots would land. I don't recall if I had the same problem with the G24 that I used to have. Of course, on our first stage there was a Texas star, but I cleaned it in 6 shots. The other thing I noticed immediately was that my brass was hitting the top of my head. Probably due to the factory weight recoil spring that Robin mentioned above. Shots were accurate and the slide cycled much faster than a stock G24C slide, which I prefer. For me, the benefit over a G22 is the longer sight radius and increased velocity of the longer barrel without the sluggish slide of the G24. I don't think I'm good enough to realize the benefit of the "sight tracker" effect. Overall, I really liked the sight block. If I had a G22, I would seriously consider getting this product. Look for my match footage on Power Factor Show in a couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...

I've been shooting Glocks consistently in USPSA since July 2014, so I'm not a very good shooter either. But for Limited Glocks, the TF FSB changes performance results dramatically. I absolutely honestly believe that the Taylor Freelance FSB is the best upgrade product ever created for the G22 platform for Limited shooters competing with Glocks. I use KKM barrels exclusively in my .40 Glocks and the TF FSB and a KKM barrel is a match made in heaven. KKM was very cooperative in sending me a threaded G35 barrel that would fit my TF FSB perfectly. I don't know of a better shooting Glock platform for Limited than one with a TF FSB -and I've researched high and low on the net to find one.

Here is some visual and empirical data to indicate the capabilities of an average shooter with a TF FSB:

http://youtu.be/GqOIDZCVb1U?t=15s

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=b0472552-1831-47a7-8a58-5eebcf6384b6&page=stage0-combined

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=5b5ebd44-0cd5-4e9f-a334-f39855327bbd&page=overall-combined

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=1edf87c0-c6f2-44d9-94d7-a4f937c1a32e&page=stage0-combined

If you don't have one yet and you want to "up" your game, then do so by getting one. Aside from pure talent (think KC Eusebio or Dave Sevigny), I think it's the only thing that can get an average person with a Glock close to or exceed the hit factor of a 2011 platform on a 20+ round stage. Everyone knows that 2011s "own" Limited, but the TF FSB is a game changer. Glock fanatics alike are very glad that Robin Taylor took the time to develop and market a product that simply changes the playing field. You have no idea what you're missing until you get one. Trigger control is one thing, but seeing the front sight earlier than before makes it a totally different experience. Enough said...

post-23809-142016223156_thumb.jpg

post-23809-142016226887_thumb.jpg

Here's my Glock 24 "Hybrid". It still costs less than an STI Edge, which is why I find it very appealing.

Build yours today! Parts list options and applicable vendors available upon request. It took some time and effort to figure this "masterpiece" out (lol), but it can still use some useful aesthetics... Some lightening here and there and maybe a nice coat of cerakote.

Want to make your Small frame Glock fun again? Convert it to a Hybrid!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1420162221.910326.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1420162263.764480.jpg

Here's my Glock 24 "Hybrid". It still costs less than an STI Edge, which is why I find it very appealing.

Build yours today! Parts list options and applicable vendors available upon request. It took some time and effort to figure this "masterpiece" out (lol), but it can still use some useful aesthetics... Some lightening here and there and maybe a nice coat of cerakote.

Can we see a picture of the muzzle end? How far past the end of the slide does the barrel extend, is it to the end of the sight block or set back a ways?

I just finished adding the shroud to my G35 which I use in Limited/L10. TF cut-down the shroud prior to shipping it my way.

It is installed with a slight gap between it and the end of the slide. This position allowed for proper alignment of the shroud and slide.

The barrel is a LWD G35 threaded version. The barrel is set-back inside the shroud less than a 1/4 inch.

Initial impressions only having run it on the practice range twice for about 400 rounds ...

- A picture of the front sight is always available to me compared to a slide mounted sight that "briefly disappears and reappears" during the process of cycling the slide.

- The shroud has stayed firmly in place using blue loctite which I let set-up for 2-days before firing the Glock

I use a CR Speed holster so it was simple to adjust for the additional length the shroud added.

post-44577-0-79837800-1420224380_thumb.j

post-44577-0-83891200-1420224396_thumb.j

I just finished adding the shroud to my G35 which I use in Limited/L10. TF cut-down the shroud prior to shipping it my way.

It is installed with a slight gap between it and the end of the slide. This position allowed for proper alignment of the shroud and slide.

The barrel is a LWD G35 threaded version. The barrel is set-back inside the shroud less than a 1/4 inch.

Initial impressions only having run it on the practice range twice for about 400 rounds ...

- A picture of the front sight is always available to me compared to a slide mounted sight that "briefly disappears and reappears" during the process of cycling the slide.

- The shroud has stayed firmly in place using blue loctite which I let set-up for 2-days before firing the Glock

I use a CR Speed holster so it was simple to adjust for the additional length the shroud added.

Why did you request to cut down the shroud? Is there a rule that the barrel can't get passed 6in in limited? Btw your gun looks badass!

Why did you request to cut down the shroud? Is there a rule that the barrel can't get passed 6in in limited? Btw your gun looks badass!

Good question. First off there is no restriction I know of related to barrel length in Limited/L10.

I could have used a threaded G24 barrel and it would have added about 3/4" or 20mm to the barrel length compared to the G35 version; an overall barrel length of 6.61". Based on the specified lengths of the LWD barrels, it would have been the same type of "gain" as using the shroud on a G22 with a G35 threaded barrel; adding about 3/4" or 20mm. There is adequate adjustment available on the CR Speed holster for that kind of length. I was more focused on moving the front sight off of the slide and onto the barrel. I'm still gaining ~.5" of sight radius in the process.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1420162221.910326.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1420162263.764480.jpg

I love this, I think it looks awesome! Is a setup like this legal in 3GunNation or any of the bigger 3Gun matches?

Sweetback- I hear the SJC weight is a pain to install. Any truth to that? Also, what holster are you using with it? I have a Ghost, and I'm somewhat reluctant to get it modified for the SJC weight. Also, if you ever decide to upgrade your trigger, I highly recommend you go with a Pyramid Trigger. It's an amazing product.

Edited by BrknCylncr

Sweetback- I hear the SJC weight is a pain to install. Any truth to that? Also, what holster are you using with it? I have a Ghost, and I'm somewhat reluctant to get it modified for the SJC weight. Also, if you ever decide to upgrade your trigger, I highly recommend you go with a Pyramid Trigger. It's an amazing product.

My experience installing the SJC weight was very straightforward - just as the instructions discussed. I installed the screws enough to "mark" the aluminum locking piece, backed them out and used my drill to create small indentations.

My CR Speed holster came from B+B down in Jacksonville FL. He modifies them to accommodate the SJC weight.