Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance Barrel Shroud

RJH

Crap! I did the same thing! I ordered a 9mm conversion barrel and had it reamed. I never looked at the thread pitch. Oh, well back to the drawing board.

Dawson sights came in. Went ahead and put them on the pistol since I worked the trigger over and the recoil assembly. Figure while I get the barrel snafu sorted out and wait for the sight block Robin is working on for me (9mm may need a lighter block with more material removed), I will get out and test the pistol more to make sure its still 100%. These are all the same things I have done to my Production pistols and they are perfect, but I figured it'd be who of me to test the pistol now more before adding further variables. So far I have 200 rounds through the pistol after the homesmithing with no issues.

Very impressed with Robin btw, super pleasant and easy to deal with. This is going to be a real experiment, but I think it's going to be a fun ride. I am going to try to get the first blog or two out this week, I will post links.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap! I did the same thing! I ordered a 9mm conversion barrel and had it reamed. I never looked at the thread pitch. Oh, well back to the drawing board.

Dawson sights came in. Went ahead and put them on the pistol since I worked the trigger over and the recoil assembly. Figure while I get the barrel snafu sorted out and wait for the sight block Robin is working on for me (9mm may need a lighter block with more material removed), I will get out and test the pistol more to make sure its still 100%. These are all the same things I have done to my Production pistols and they are perfect, but I figured it'd be who of me to test the pistol now more before adding further variables. So far I have 200 rounds through the pistol after the homesmithing with no issues.

Very impressed with Robin btw, super pleasant and easy to deal with. This is going to be a real experiment, but I think it's going to be a fun ride. I am going to try to get the first blog or two out this week, I will post links.

Are you hand-loading for your 9mm? I wonder how much lighter the block is verses the booster system from a suppressor. I know the can unlocks from the barrel when the gun fires, but it still adds some weight to the barrel.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that pitch issue. Since I was dealing with the 40, the pitch wasn't an issue with the barrel and SB.

My reamed .40 caliber barrel should be here on Saturday so I will get to play with it then. I am going to keep the 9mm conversion barrel just in case Robin decides to do the extension blocks in that thread pitch one day. Can't wait!

Are you hand-loading for your 9mm? I wonder how much lighter the block is verses the booster system from a suppressor. I know the can unlocks from the barrel when the gun fires, but it still adds some weight to the barrel.

My Sight Block weighs 1.6 oz which includes the front sight. Not a lot of extra weight on the front of the barrel.

I just ran 300 rounds through and I can shoot it accurately as fast as I can pull the trigger!!! The front sight is sitting there waiting on the gun to settle and BAM! With the added weight of the SJC frame weight I can shoot this gun faster than my real 24. To Mr. Taylor....2 thumbs up! I love it! It is kinda sexy :) Thanks!

Edited by bowenbuilt

Would it be possible to use a thread converter? Used often by suppressor users. I am interested in a 1/2x28 version.

The pictured one is a little bulky.

s58__16930.1423649566.500.500__17636.142

If you cut the nut off and permanent loc-tighted the sleeve of the treads over the other threads it should work. I believe he will be out with the other thread pitch before long. It would sure be a cheap way to get a faster cycling 17L.

Received my barrel today. As soon as the Loc-tite dries I am going to light it up.

ablockglock.jpg

ablockunlocked.jpg

asightblockglock.jpg

Que the Archer Meme - "Stop I can only get so erect!" That is amazing. Can you spec out the gun please? Obviously SJC weight, TF Sight Block... What recoil system are you running?

The gun is a police trade-in G22. I reduced and stippled the grip frame. It has a Dawson "Heavy" magwell, a captured Tungsten guide rod with an ISMI 13# spring. The sights are what I had on hand, a Sevigny rear with a .150 notch and a Dawson .235T X .125W front. It has a Johnny Glock 2# trigger, Wolff 4.5# striker spring, a Graham slide lock and I had Dan at LWD do the "GT Hole" on the blind marked barrel so it shoots coated and plated lead without a hitch before they shipped it for free.

I just ran 300 rounds through and I can shoot it accurately as fast as I can pull the trigger!!! The front sight is sitting there waiting on the gun to settle and BAM! With the added weight of the SJC frame weight I can shoot this gun faster than my real 24. To Mr. Taylor....2 thumbs up! I love it! It is kinda sexy :) Thanks!

Hell yeah! Congrats.

Is there any consensus on appropriate front sight height on the 17/22 set up, with a Dawson adjustable rear?

Also any word on a 1/2-28 threaded sight block?

Thanks.

Hi, I am sure Robin will swing into the thread, but I just thought I'd let all the guys looking to do a 9mm know I spoke with him last week via email about this. He stated that he would look at making some in his next production run. Obviously making just 1 or 2 would be rather tedious. It am sure it would be helpful if anyone is interested in having one made for the 1/2x28 to chime in and give Robin an idea of what his initial demand might look like.

I think everyone is wanting the 1/2 X 28 so they will fit on a 9mm or a .40 to 9mm barrel. I have a 35 barrel that is a .40 to 9mm conversion with that pitch. Same diameter as a regular .40 barrel but has the 1/2 X 28 thread pitch on it.

They are for the standard .40 caliber barrel but when you get a conversion barrel to 9mm they are 1/2 X 28 instead. I purchased both barrels and the standard G35 barrel works perfect but not the conversion barrel and not a G34 barrel. I don't really understand why the conversion barrel is not the same thread pitch, but it's not.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Yeah, if you purchased the 35 barrel and asked for them to ream it you will be perfect. If Robin decides to make some of these to fit the 9mm and .40 to 9 conversion barrels he will sell a ton of them too.

on another note, I tried blue Loctite to hold my shroud and set screw in place. After about 300 rounds it came loose. Mine is now done with #620 which is what I have used on comps in my pin guns for years. It will hold it but you better be quick getting the sight block in place. You only have a few minutes and that baby is locked.

Edited by bowenbuilt