Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do you shoot IPDA?

drkyte

I shoot IDPA because I like shooting. I like to think I am improving my shooting skills. I sure don't do it for a $.50 ribbon or a $5 plaque.

The changes to the IDPA rules and responses to them caused me to think of this. In particular, the revolver rules. I get the impression some people favor seperating the moon clip guns from the speedloader guns mainly because they think they will have a better chance of winning a valuable ribbon.

Who cares? If you think someone's gun or equipment gives them a better chance to win

a ribbon, does that mean you haven't done your best or enjoyed yourself? Have they not been shooting their speedloader revolvers because someone with a 625 wins the ribbon?

--------------------------

Joe Schiros

IDPA - A04837

I think that the whole rule book change is a problem for shooters already participating in the sport. For new shooters it won't be a problem. I say this because the whole problem is the people who have hundreds of dollars invested in equipment, such as myself, that we can no longer use in the sport. The people that shoot wheel guns have a serious issue if they have a gun that was set up for IDPA and shot successfully, or not, with that gun that is now illegal under the new rule book for weight or barrel length. They now have to buy a new gun or not shoot IDPA.

I think that it's the competetive nature of the sport that builds your shooting skills. Your desire to win or do well motivates you to practice and improve. Same goes for any sport. Guys that play football will practice and train for months on end prior to going into a new season to do well. No different with IDPA. The hours that you spend in your living room dryfiring, practicing magazine changes etc. causes you to get better, not just the shooting in the occasional match. Sure the scenarios hone your "defensive" shooting skills, target acquisition and all that, but all that being said, IDPA is still a sport.

The equipment/guns we have bought aren't cheap. It isn't necessarily that they give a shooter the competetive edge over another shooter, it is the fact that everybody that has previously leagal equipment that is now illegal has to go buy new stuff, throw in the towel, or move over to IPSC/USPSA.

For me the issue has turned into a money issue, not having a good time or doing my best. That's still going to happen, regardless. Having to explain to House Hold 6 why I have to go spend another $300 for a new holster setup or $700 plus for a new gun has turned into the issue. Just my $0.02.

Time behind the trigger.

To knock the dust off those other firearms in the safe.

To knock the dust off my skills with other firearms.

Test equipment and gear.

Let's just face it I like burning powder.

I think that the whole rule book change is a problem for shooters already participating in the sport. For new shooters it won't be a problem. I say this because the whole problem is the people who have hundreds of dollars invested in equipment, such as myself, that we can no longer use in the sport. The people that shoot wheel guns have a serious issue if they have a gun that was set up for IDPA and shot successfully, or not, with that gun that is now illegal under the new rule book for weight or barrel length. They now have to buy a new gun or not shoot IDPA.

I think that it's the competetive nature of the sport that builds your shooting skills. Your desire to win or do well motivates you to practice and improve. Same goes for any sport. Guys that play football will practice and train for months on end prior to going into a new season to do well. No different with IDPA. The hours that you spend in your living room dryfiring, practicing magazine changes etc. causes you to get better, not just the shooting in the occasional match. Sure the scenarios hone your "defensive" shooting skills, target acquisition and all that, but all that being said, IDPA is still a sport.

The equipment/guns we have bought aren't cheap. It isn't necessarily that they give a shooter the competetive edge over another shooter, it is the fact that everybody that has previously leagal equipment that is now illegal has to go buy new stuff, throw in the towel, or move over to IPSC/USPSA.

For me the issue has turned into a money issue, not having a good time or doing my best. That's still going to happen, regardless. Having to explain to House Hold 6 why I have to go spend another $300 for a new holster setup or $700 plus for a new gun has turned into the issue. Just my $0.02.

Very well said Dawg5.

Now copy and paste that to a email and send it off to IDPA HQ. IDPA needs to hear your story. It mirrors the thoughts of many of us fellow IDPA particpants.

I shoot IDPA to support the programs at local clubs and to get additional trigger time.

I have not and will not join the organization because of how it it organized and owned and the apparent disregard to the members views. If IDPA had elected officials and member committees to address the shooters concern then I would join. I feel that IDPA will begin to lose members and be in the same boat as Pin Shooters and Bullseye within a very short period of time.

You can bad mouth USPSA all you want, but at least there the members have a say in the new rules, the direction of the sport and who runs the organization.

Why do I shoot IDPA ?

• To hang out with buddies I don't get to see during the week.
  • Help out with the admin stuff like SO/SK , stage set-up , etc .
  • Because it's closer to home.
  • It's generally less expensive to play in the bigger matches. I will not spend over $75 to shoot a match of anykind <_<

Not for the trigger time , that's taken care of during the week or weekend practice session.

Until that day,

Mark

Time behind the trigger.

Test equipment and gear.

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Why do you shoot IPDA?

I find myself wondering that more and more often. In 1997 when I started, it was somewhat of a competition using similar tactics as to what I trained police officers in. I found it fun and practical. As time progressed and the rules and COF got to be less and less realistic and often downright ignorant, it became boring and frustrating.

As it stands now, especially in leu of the new rules, I may shoot it if nothing else is going on or just for a change. Like most folks, I still love burning powder, even if IDPA isn't the best game around. But dumping money into new equipment, travel, major match fees is a thing of the past. The Nationals have become a joke, a very expensive joke.

Only one match remains that is a must do- Badlands in Tulsa, OK. Those guys kick butt and know how to run a match. I will keep up my IDPA membership just for that.

Time behind the trigger.

Test equipment and gear.

And I enjoy the company of the shooters I've met at IDPA matches. As far as the rules go,

catch me if you can! :ph34r:

I usually have fun when I shoot IDPA, even when I'm racking up a nice pile of procedural penalties. I suspect I will be hard pressed to find a good reason to continue the first time I get a FTDR for wearing knee pads that someone can see or a mag pouch that only covers 49.9873% of my magazine tube.

Time behind the trigger.

Test equipment and gear.

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Like anyone needs a reason to like Clyde. He has cookies in case you cannot find another valid reason.

Ok, last time I shot it was because someone asked me to work a match and it was free, but before that, it was trigger time, and I hadn't yet discovered the 5 USPSA matches per month I shoot now.

I shoot(shot, i'm still not sure of the tense yet), idpa to support my local club, support shooting sports in general, and to get new shooters involved in the sports.

I own a retail gunshop, and it was sure nice to tell a prospective comp. shooter that $30 bucks worth of U M holster and mag pouch and his already owned HKSIGGLOCKRUGKIMTAUBER was all he/she needed to get in the game. Now i've got to tell them the stuff i sold them last week a'int legal no mo? BUT , IT STILL IS IN USPSA, THANK YOU. I have promoted both sports, but i sure think it will be an easier sell for uspsa, with these lame idpa rules.

Hi, Lee. OK, HKSIGGLOCKRUGKIMTAUBERSPARSTIVICEZSAWWAL. Whew, hope i did'nt leave anyone out, but probably did. Welcome to the action shooting sports. :D Glad you had fun and do hope you try USPSA also. They are both great GAMES with great people. I've shot at a good number of IDPA and USPSA clubs, and NEVER had a bad time. Read the other threads, and you'll realize IDPA's problems are'nt at the club level.

I shoot IDPA becuase its fun and best fits why I shoot guns and what I want to get out of shooting them. I'd rather spend my match and range time with friends who think the same as I do. And for the most part we all shoot IDPA. Nothing against USPSA or anything like that. I shoot that some as well but mostly IDPA.

When I want training I get training. When I want to have fun I shoot matches.

As strange, really strange as these new rule changes strike me. I'll still really enjoy shooting IDPA. It might not be the perfect shooting sport, but it's fun, none-the-less. If these new rules get people so worked up that they threaten to burn their membership cards, send nasty emails to IDPA HQ or leave burning bags of dog-poo at their front door, then perhaps their in it for the wrong reasons to begin with.

To me, It's not about competition, equipment or politics, it's about friendship.

I'll come clean. I like IDPA because there are more women participating than other shooting sports. I'm in it for the babes.

IPSC and USPSA don't seem to have as good a percentage. So, if not IDPA, maybe quilting or synchronized swimming.

I'll come clean. I like IDPA because there are more women participating than other shooting sports. I'm in it for the babes.

IDPA does seem to have more chicks than USPSA, but if you compare other sports like GSSF or especially Cowboy Action Shooting, then you will see where the babes really are!

Cowboy Action probably has the most, and the best mounted shooter is a woman (and she's beautiful!) to boot.

I shoot IDPA because shooting alone is boring and if you set up all those scenarios and shoot them by yourself, people think you're crazy.

In addition, I like the competition, but have little use for a gun or holster that isn't practical for some real world use. (I'm ignoring the fact that I just ordered a Safariland 012 holster for IPSC and built a roughly 20 lb. AR-15 with sight apertures so small only the short wavelengths of light can get through, for NRA Highpower).

Plus, my wife likes shooting IDPA and she won't shoot IPSC because she thinks the people aren't as friendly.

Plus, by shooting IDPA and IPSC I avoid having practice for either (although each creates bad reloading habits for the other).

Plus, in spite of what all those people say about it being a game and not training, you play the way you practice and IDPA is good practice, since you have to use cover and draw from a real-world holster. Whether you are in law enforcement or just a CCW civilian, if you practice every month or 2 weeks in a match where you stay behind cover, reload behind cover and reload before moving, that's most likely how you will react in real life. But, if you always shoot from a position that is totally exposed to the target and ignore the most pressing threat so you can save on transition time, that's how you will do it in real life. (Since I do both, I will report on the results if I ever have to get into a real-life shooting).

Plus, my wife likes shooting IDPA and she won't shoot IPSC because she thinks the people aren't as friendly.

If you can get her to come down, we can put you in our friendliest squad, seriously. I know you like shooting the local match, and you should travel with us to the other 4 per month too. Everywhere we go, I always feel like everyone is friendly and warm. Let me know what you think we can do to change this perception. Sincerely. :)