Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACCU bushing retrofit uspsa legal?

jedpeters

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question and variations of it point out the shortcomings in production rules. The intent is that a level playing field is created by limiting allowed pistols to "stock" configurations. As written, there isn't any allowance for copying a "stock" configuration. So you can buy an accu shadow from CZC or AA, but not build it in your shop, even though there would be no visible or functional difference, nor any competitive advantage.

Is it legal, no. Provided it was on a shadow slide would anyone know, no. Does it violate the spirit of the rules, no.

So you can buy an accu shadow from CZC or AA, but not build it in your shop, even though there would be no visible or functional difference, nor any competitive advantage.

Not just work at home. You can send it back to CZC to do the work. Gives you an identical gun in every way but with one the work was done before you purchased it and with the other it is done after; one perfectly Production legal and the other not. This problem isn't exclusive to CZ ACCU bushings. You also can't do something as simple as run a Glock 34 slide on a Glock 17. I really think there needs to be a provision to allow for modification of one Production gun to be legal if made to be exactly like another Production gun.

Alma-

I think you and I are saying the same thing.

I'd go one step farther though. Striker fired or DA/SA pistol, 10 rd capacity. Make it fit in a box and have a min/max weight. Done and done. Level playing field, and none of this is it or isn't it legal.

Let me see if I understand this...

CZ Custom takes regular Shadows, does some machining and adds a part(s) and issues them as Accu-Shadows.

So in the eyes of USPSA, CZ Custom is a "manufacturer" or at the very least a "recognized" part of the process of final manufacturing for CZ.

The only difference is where the original/stock Shadow comes from. The original stock Shadow could come from CZUSA or if I send them my Shadow they could in effect "re-issue" my pistol as an Accu-Shadow as they are in fact the "manufacturer" of the Accu-Shadow.

CZ Custom takes regular Shadows, does some machining and adds a part(s) and issues them as Accu-Shadows.

So in the eyes of USPSA, CZ Custom is a "manufacturer" or at the very least a "recognized" part of the process of final manufacturing for CZ.

The only difference is where the original/stock Shadow comes from. The original stock Shadow could come from CZUSA or if I send them my Shadow they could in effect "re-issue" my pistol as an Accu-Shadow as they are in fact the "manufacturer" of the Accu-Shadow.

Hmmm. Logic. Better not go there

Exactly. In this particular situation, I side with IPSC, which has more stringent rules and does not recognize CZ-USA or CZC as original manufacturer. One is a distributor and the other a custom shop.

Exactly. In this particular situation, I side with IPSC, which has more stringent rules and does not recognize CZ-USA or CZC as original manufacturer. One is a distributor and the other a custom shop.

Money...

Reading through the 2014 rule book, what rule prohibits it? The only thing I see is external mods must be available on another approved gun from the same mfg. Does than not cover the accubushing?

I liked where you were going with that but, D4 21.6 "Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components" says Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers. so far so good I think the bushing would fit the bill so far but, D4 21.2b says "Milling of slide — only as required to insert sights." I don't think you can install the bushing without machining the slide so it is not a approved modification.

I understand why people complain about the strict rules governing modifications to production guns, but I would like to point out that they are the reason we now have these cool guns on the market, if you could do the mod to a stock gun the manufacturers would never have introduced specific models for our game. bassically production division as flawed as it is has made better guns available to everyone.

This question and variations of it point out the shortcomings in production rules. The intent is that a level playing field is created by limiting allowed pistols to "stock" configurations. As written, there isn't any allowance for copying a "stock" configuration. So you can buy an accu shadow from CZC or AA, but not build it in your shop, even though there would be no visible or functional difference, nor any competitive advantage.

Is it legal, no. Provided it was on a shadow slide would anyone know, no. Does it violate the spirit of the rules, no.

It does not violate the spirit of the rules, which is to provide a level playing field. Building an accu shadow would not tilt the playing field. It would, however, violate the letter of the rules as it is prohibited. The problem is that the literal rule violates the spirit of the rules. This should be changed.

Edited by lawboy

hmm. that is cool.

buy an SP01

sell standard upper

fit accu upper

enter USPSA match

?????

profit

That scenarios minus the ACCU has been covered ad nauseum. You can't do it with a standard SP01 frame since it has the safety plunger and in Production you are not allowed to modify to disable any safeties. Edited by alma

Does anyone have an actual ruling from Amidon of "yea" or "nay" if a Shadow slide retrofitted with an Accu bushing is Production legal or not, assuming it's also on an SP01 Shadow frame? That would clear this up.

Does anyone have an actual ruling from Amidon of "yea" or "nay" if a Shadow slide retrofitted with an Accu bushing is Production legal or not, assuming it's also on an SP01 Shadow frame? That would clear this up.

I don't ask if you aren't ready to except the clarification. Sometime ambiguity can be your friend.