Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 steel grips

jmcqueen

I got the aggressive stainless. From what PT told me this is by far the most popular regarding textures for the stainless. They said there are a lot of people that get the flat and use grip tape. I think the general consensus is, if you're into the whole grip tape thing get flat, if not, get aggressive.

I wasn't interested in Aluminum and couldn't afford the Titanium so I didn't ask about the best texture on those. My thought though is that if it's a little too aggressive, I can knock it down with some fine paper but I definitely don't have the machining skills to make the normal texture more aggressive.

In preparation, I've been working on my skin toughness by dry firing with a rasp, I'm up to 20 minutes a day without blood! :roflol:

Their new thumb shield safety is also on the way, it's a pretty sweet little piece of machining if your interested in that check it out

it's tuff being tuff.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should also be noted if you're scared of the aggressive or tried a friend's and found it a little too sharp, PT will bead blast an aggressive texture just enough to take the edge off. Perfect balance for my wife and daughter who didn't like the idea of bleeding all over their new grips.

-424D57

If you are leaning towards PT (which I would recommend) you might want to get your name on one. I am hoping that my aggressive PT Ti grip ships tomorrow. I've been waiting about 12 weeks for it and was told it should ship this week with their latest Ti batch. I was originally on the fence about going with the aggressive texture, until I felt it! Mine will be going on my stainless PT frame.

Edited by nicholastheczar

Mine arrived today, had to run home at lunch and check it out. Took about 20 minutes with a fine stone for a perfect fit. I'll post pics when I can but I still need to figure that out.

The aggressive is awesome, I also got their new safety but haven't tried the fit on that yet but it looks great and it would block oger thumbs if needed

I'd buy them for the sex appeal alone ;-)

But sadly up here in Canada its a bit of an issue to get them from what I have found.

Yup, as far as a machined piece of stainless goes, it is right up at the top!

It's pretty sweet to have a blaster where the only piece of plastic is the fiber rod

this mite be a stupid question but i am having my first 2011 pistol built and dont know the difference does the steel grip get hot and uncomfortable to hold and shoot in one of those hot sunny matches ?? im used to shooting glocks so just dont know how that grip would feel on that kind of day ?

this mite be a stupid question but i am having my first 2011 pistol built and dont know the difference does the steel grip get hot and uncomfortable to hold and shoot in one of those hot sunny matches ?? im used to shooting glocks so just dont know how that grip would feel on that kind of day ?

No, it doesn't.

are you leaving the grip in the rough ? i was thinking of ordering one for a limited build and having it hard cromed with the rest of the gun whats everyones thought on that ? these are just ideas im throwing around in my head ??

are you leaving the grip in the rough ? i was thinking of ordering one for a limited build and having it hard cromed with the rest of the gun whats everyones thought on that ? these are just ideas im throwing around in my head ??

It looks like both companies are using some sort of chemical etch, they have dull gray finish, it is not bare metal.

I'm leaving mine in the sand blasted finish. I'm polishing the inside to make sure nothing hangs up on reloads but the outside is a great texture.

I also thought a lot about possible finishes. I think with the aggressive texture it would be tough to do. I'm not a plater but the detail in the machining may cause a lot of build up and clumping. They also said it's tough to get a consistent finish in the tiny recesses. The regular texture would probably lend itself to coatings better.

The finish is just a sandblast finish. It is in the white but the texture from the blasting media changes the way light reflects making it grayer than a polished stainless. Ie the micro shadows make it look darker but there is no finish applied according to them when I asked the question.

A finer blasting media would make it smoother and lighten it slightly

You should email them and ask if they do this. There will probably be quite a bit more machine marks left which may or may not be what you are looking for. I'm sure they would send you a pic of what they look like straight off the machine. You could probably get the same look and a better overall finish by just polishing the grip with a fine polish. I've thought about doing that to the points on the grip to make it shiny with dull recess but it would be a fair amount of work and when it arrived I liked the finish far more than I thought I would so I just left it.

Actually, the SVI grip has very pleasant very light gray shade, it almost blends in with the stainless steel frame and slide.

The only issue I am having with the grip is dirt - areas where your palm touches become dirty, and I am not sure what would be the best way to clean it. You can't use a sponge or paper towel, as it gets stuck, so I used a tooth brush with soap under water - did the trick in spots, but I would not want to soak the whole gun in water.

Edited by Foxbat