Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many women handle 6 inches?

I'm looking into an STI 6 inch style in 9mm to help with recoil and my crappy eyesight! Just wondering if strength has any part in shooting this heavy gun? I shoot a G34 gen4 right now and would like to add a double stack.. Mostly for 3 gun and steel challenge

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Given the same load a heavier gun will generally absorb more recoil so it could help you. A heavier gun will swing a bit slower so there is the trade off. Six inch slides are a bit more sluggish to cycle as well so many will have them lightened to the weight of a five inch.

Overall it should be an easier gun to shoot when compared to your Glock and you shouldn't expect any negatives of moving except having to learn to manipulate the safety on demand.

Edited by alma

I'm looking into an STI 6 inch style in 9mm to help with recoil and my crappy eyesight! Just wondering if strength has any part in shooting this heavy gun? I shoot a G34 gen4 right now and would like to add a double stack.. Mostly for 3 gun and steel challenge

Give Matt cheely a call at ccgunworks.com and have him build you a 6" limited gun. I believe he gets them down to close to what a 5" weighs. I know that's what I would get if I ever went Limited.

I've looked into Brazos, triangle/Benny Hill, akai, Cameron's .. I probably should try one on... Gonna keep my eyeballs open at next match for a 6 incher !! [emoji12]

I've looked into Brazos, triangle/Benny Hill, akai, Cameron's .. I probably should try one on... Gonna keep my eyeballs open at next match for a 6 incher !! [emoji12]

Trust me, there are plenty of them out there! :)

My wife was not fully satisfied with the overall feeling of "6 inches". I had to explain to her that it wasn't about the length ,per say, but how you gripped it and how hard it hit. Yes looking down it, the length provided more overall weight and stability but in some positions she was unable to maneuver it correctly. She has been completely satisfied with "5.25 inches" as the felt motion is a little more refined from an older piece and the recoil doesn't cause her as much shock and pain.

Sorry I couldn't pass up the opportunity....

My wife was not fully satisfied with the overall feeling of "6 inches". I had to explain to her that it wasn't about the length ,per say, but how you gripped it and how hard it hit. Yes looking down it, the length provided more overall weight and stability but in some positions she was unable to maneuver it correctly. She has been completely satisfied with "5.25 inches" as the felt motion is a little more refined from an older piece and the recoil doesn't cause her as much shock and pain.

:cheers: :roflol:

:goof::roflol:

Awesome!!

There is always the 5.4"/5.5" option if you want to go somewhere in between with weight and sight radius. A short dust cover 5.4" SVI could be made to be pretty light and recoil quite soft.

There is no doubt my 6" gun is just as flat and softer shooting that my 5.4" Sight Tracker. But, I've come to love the super fast slide of the 5.4 and it's just as flat.

Something else to consider, particularily for using the gun for Steel Challenge is that you'll want to tune your load to reduce recoil. Since there is no PF min your load can be as light as will reliably cycle te gun and maintais accuracy.

As an example, I just finished working up a load for the STI Steelmaster I recently picked. It came in at 101 PF with 3" accuracy offhand at 25 yds. With that load the gun acts like my open rimfire Steel gun ....